Author Topic: Seeking Beggs Crawford Lineages, Ballycor  (Read 6449 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Beggs Crawford Lineages, Ballycor
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 September 15 20:16 BST (UK) »
My Thomas Beggs with his parents and siblings all emigrated to Maryland, possible about 1810-1820 but Thomas returned about 1830 and married in Co. Antrim.  The family did marvellously well in Maryland as brother John left $3,500 to each of Robert and Thomas in 1876, and big amounts to many relatives. In Maryland, they became big land owners.
I have managed, with much help, to build quite a complete family tree of this branch of the family but have not been so lucky with my Boyds who went from Ireland to England to Canada, some further to the States.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 02:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks MFGilbert.

This is very intriguing going that far back. Do you know of any more recent Crawford lineages in the area that are able to link into these forebearers? I at one time thought I had found a link with Mcdowells and Chisties, but I now think that was invalid.

Bill

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 03:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peggy,

You must be the pre-eminent researcher on the Beggs in the area. It would be great to be able to tie in with one of your interelated lineages.

As you know from our earlier discussions about my David Beggs and his father James and wife Sarah Crawford, they seem to have eluded your fine net and my detection so far. I've been wondering if he, or they, may not have been transplants from, say Scotland or County Tyrone, for instance. No luck yet on this front though.

Regards,
Bill

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 October 15 03:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, Bill, I don't seem to have David and Sarah in my research.  But I will be keeping my eyes open for them from now on.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 October 15 19:32 BST (UK) »

Thanks Peggy, you are very generous.

I have some additional information on this Beggs – Crawford line that I have tried to follow up but to no avail. It may be useful to you and others in your own research and possibly lead to mutual findings.

My Sarah and David Beggs had 7 children ( 1 boy & 6 girls) that I have been able to verify with birth and census records. Three of the girls were given common Antrim and vicinity surnames as their second given names.

Their first child, born 14 June, 1874 in Ballynure, was named Ann MAYNE Beggs; their third child, born 25 January, 1880 in Ballycor, was named Margaret McAULEY Beggs; and their sixth, born 1 September, 1888 in Ballylinney, was named Agnes MUSSEN Beggs.

I've been unable to find any Beggs or Crawford alliances with any of these families in Antrim, so I'm wondering if you or anyone else has seen such marriages or lineages that predate these girls births and may be possible relatives?  Hopefully this information will provide leads for others as well.

Regards Bill

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 October 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
No, I'm afraid I don't know much more about the Crawford lines.  So far I only have a very distant roundabout connection to the Crawfords in that book, and I haven't yet followed any lines forward.

I have another look through Beggs headstone photos I have.  There is a David Beggs buried in Rashee, but it's earlier than yours.  Maybe they're part of the same family though.  This is what I can make out from the photo:

In
Memory of
DAVID BEGGS
who departed
this life the 2 ... Febr...
17[78?] ag.......lso MAI...
his wife who dep.......
life the ..0 of O... 179..
ag..7[5?] yr.... ..so their
son DAVID BEGGS
Me...an.. late of Ca....
....n who departed this
life the 11th .......
aged [8?]0 .....

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 October 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Oh, another headstone from Rashee which may or may not be relevant:

ERECTED
BY
WILLIAM JOHN BAMFORD
To the Memory of his Father
JOHN BAMFORD, Lismanary
Died 29th May, 1861, Aged 67 Years
Also WILLIAM JOHN MILLAR
His Nephew died 29th October 1861
Aged 5 years
Also LEONORA JANE MILLAR
His Niece died [3?]rd April, 1862
Aged 8 years
Also his Mother LEANORA BAMFORD,
Died 31st May, 1872, Aged 74 years

Lismenary is on the north side of Ballynure, and isn't far from Ballyalbanagh, which also borders Ballyboley.  There are a few Banfords of Ballyboley on the will calendars, including one who names a Hugh Beggs as executor. 

[I wouldn't worry about the Bamford/Banford spelling differences.  The above William John BaMford is called William John BaNford in his will, assuming it has been copied out faithfully.]

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 October 15 17:35 BST (UK) »
 Thank you MFGilbert, this could be very pertinent so I will try to delve into these people further to look for linkages.

Regards,

Bill

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 October 15 17:43 BST (UK) »

In point of clarification to my earlier post, although I have not yet found specific marriage linkages between my two ancestral families and the surnames of interest, I have an interesting lead.

In my first post 2 September, above I said:

According to the Register of Marriages David and Sarah were wed the 12th of June, 1874 in Raloo Presbyterian Church. He was Full Age and she was 19. They both resided in the Ballyalbana (so spelt) townland at the time of marriage. Their fathers were respectively: James Beggs, labourer and Samuel Crawford, farmer, likely resident in Ballyalbana too. The witnesses present were Sanderson Bamford and Eliza Bamford, likely friends and/or relatives of the families.

You, Peggy, keyed in on looking for a Beggs-Bamford connection and gave me some suggestions. I followed this up further trying to identify who my Bamford couple was. I found out some details that should be posted on a different thread than this one, and I will do that when I'm satisfied I have it right.

Meanwhile what I found out relevent to this thread is that the wife of Sanderson Bamford, Eliza Bamford, was born Elizabeth Mary Douglas, daughter of William Douglas and Ann MAYNE.  Elizabeth Mary Douglas was born about 1850 in Ballyeaston, Antrim.  Mother, Ann Mayne was born in Antrim about 1806 and father, William Douglas appears to have been born in Scotland about 1801.

Considering that  marriage witnesses are commonly close relatives, and marriages generally take place in the family church of the bride, I think these people could well be the link between my Beggs and the Maynes, with their home turf being the environs of Ballyeaston. Does anyone see the potential Mayne line that may provide the key?

Thanks, Bill