Author Topic: Seeking Beggs Crawford Lineages, Ballycor  (Read 6472 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Beggs Crawford Lineages, Ballycor
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 October 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
My Thomas John Beggs married Christiana Mayne on May 1, 1885 in Ballyclare Orthodox Presbyterian Church.
Don't know if that helps.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 03 October 15 16:34 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Peggy, I'll look into this.

Regards,

Bill

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 20:21 BST (UK) »
Renewed Greetings,

I've finally returned after an extended absence. My attention to my genealogical studies had been badly distracted by some of the vagaries of life. But now I'm able to get back to them. It's been a while so I'm in the process of re-familiarizing myself with where I left off. I unfortunately lost some of my recent tree work too and need to do some more digging to reformulate it.

I'm still seeking my Beggs and Crawford lineages in Ballycor and adjacent parishes. My focus of attention here has been  David Beggs and Sarah Crawford, and their offspring. David is still much of a puzzle. He is traceable in some documents, but I can find no birth or baptismal records even though the 1901 Census of Ireland records his birthplace as County Antrim. And more disconcerting or maybe more intriguing, is that his birth year is so inconsistently reported. In his marriage registration, he is said to be of Full Age on the day of the marriage, 12 June, 1874. This indicates he was born prior to 12 June, 1853. In the Census of Ireland of 1901 he reports his age to be 50 implying a birth year of 1851. While in the 1911 Census of Ireland he says his age is 63 implying a birth year of 1848. His civil registration of death estimates his birth year to be about 1850. The first record of his birth I encountered was in his Family Group Record (which included his wife Sarah and most of his daughters) at familysearch.org when I first started searching for him in 2007. There his birth year was recorded as 1856 and I'd basically adopted this year in my own records and puzzled about the others.

What all this seems to suggest is that since he appears to not have had his birth officially recorded in the civil records by his family, and that he was not baptized, his mother may have been unmarried at the time and living a home with her farm family, and they chose not to publically acknowledge a birth out of wedlock. And then in subsequent years his purported birth date was fudged to make it fit in with his mother's subsequent marriage date.

There are indications that his mother was the Janet Robinson of Ballyalbana who married James Beggs on 27 November, 1854 at the Ballyeaston First Presbyterian Church. They went on to have four children: Agnes Beggs, born 1855; Jane Murdoch Beggs, born 1859; William Beggs, born 1861 and; James Beggs, born 1864. These dates are all derived from the Baptismal Records of the Ballyeaston First Presbyterian Church. Being that Agnes was born about 10 months after the marriage and there is a three year plus gap before the next child, Jane, is born, there is a convenient gap to place David's birth. Hence the familysearch.org family-reported birthdate of 1856. This may have been the family's traditional birthdate for him but David may have lapsed by the time of the census of 1911 to a more accurate 1848 when he reported his birth year on that year's census form.

I realize that I'm doing a lot of speculating here on the basis of circumstantial evidence, but I'm wondering if anyone has any information that can confirm, correct or elaborate the scenario I've pictured here. Is it plausible, is it likely, can it be confirmed or disconfirmed? Any thoughts?

Regards,

Bill

“You never know what worse luck your bad luck has saved you from.”   Cormac McCarthy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
You're talking about a range from 1848-1953 which is only 5 years so not much of a difference. Civil registration of births didn't start until 1864 so it wasn't that his parents neglected to officially register his birth but rather than wasn't an available option. Even much later many people didn't have a clear idea of exactly when they'd been born.

The first record of his birth I encountered was in his Family Group Record (which included his wife Sarah and most of his daughters) at familysearch.org when I first started searching for him in 2007. There his birth year was recorded as 1856 and I'd basically adopted this year in my own records and puzzled about the others.
If you mean a record from a submitted LDS family tree (Pedigree Resource File) then these records are only as accurate as the details properly researched by the submitter. Quite often the bride is given as 4 years younger than her husband and a set age is given for marriage.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 20 April 17 05:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey, these are very useful points for me to consider.

“Civil registration of births didn't start until 1864 so it wasn't that his parents neglected to officially register his birth but rather than wasn't an available option. Even much later many people didn't have a clear idea of exactly when they'd been born.”

So true, and yet who would think of it in our modern day. It's good to see it from their situation. This really adds perspective. Thanks again aghadowey.

Bill

Offline rittrock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 November 20 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone still researching this thread? William Douglas's children (Eliza and Thomas) are in Ballycor in the 1911 census, well after Sa(u)nderson Bamford's death, and Eliza has several youngsters in the house. Who are they? What became of them? Mary is a foster child in 1901, and then James, Martha and Sarah also appear in 1911. Birthplace is consistently Antrim (no mention of America or Scotland) although census entries are not always reliable.
Fostering or adoption might be very informal at the time. It is the usual long shot but identifying these children might uncover links with the other families in the thread. Everyone mentioned is dead now - otherwise I would not ask.

best wishes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 November 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Eliza & brother Thomas Douglas are living in Ballyboley not Ballycor in 1911-
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Ballycor/Ballyboley/189282/
The 4 children boarding there (all Presbyterian, born Co.Antrim)-
Mary Simpson, age 12
James Hill, age 12
Martha Hill, age 10
Sarah Jane Laverty, age 8

In 1901 Eliza Bamford in Craiganorme with foster child Mary Simpson, age 3-
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Kilwaughter/Craiganorme/995050/

Added- possibility for Sarah Jane Laverty?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1901/01947/1752474.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey and rittrock for your information. I'll look into these sources.
I have not been looking into the Bamford and Douglas connections for some time.

Regards,
Bill