Author Topic: Seeking Beggs Crawford Lineages, Ballycor  (Read 6447 times)

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Beggs Crawford Lineages, Ballycor
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 September 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Peggy, I think we've been on the same website for Saint Peter's of Liverpool.

As a point of correction; in my excitement with these new leads, I identified the wrong grandmother/mother as the one accompanying my father and his mother to Liverpool during WWI. It was not  Sarah (Crawford) Beggs, Susan's mother, but her mother-in-law, also a widow. 

So back to that fine website for Saint Peter's to check for additional names. In my searches there yesterday, I was surprised by Bamford – Banford spelling difference, but maybe  that's not really a problem, name recording errors seem fairly common.

Another point I found of interest was that Saint Peter's, as the name indicates, is not a Presbyterian church but rather C. of E. According to the Church website, on 29 June 1704,
Saint Peter's was the first Catholic parish following the Reformation to be consecrated in the new Established Church, the Church of England. So this indicates to me, following  Aghadowey suggestion above, that possibly a male Beggs close family member married a woman whose family was a member of this parish. Alternately it may have been a male family member from the in-law side. These are a couple of the possibilities I'll be checking out.

Willim

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 September 15 19:10 BST (UK) »
 John,  you generously offered:

I have found five to David and Sarah's Children baptised in First Ballyeaston Presbyterian Church.

Contact me through the Church website and I will give you what info I have. Info at firstballyeaston   dot org

John

Thanks John I will contact you there.

Willim

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 September 15 01:59 BST (UK) »
Although this is branching into England , there is a small family tree for David Beggs and Sarah Handley with the only child mentioned being Joseph Youd Beggs. Joseph is a brother to John Bamford Beggs.  Don't know if this connects to your David Beggs and Sarah Crawford.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 September 15 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found five to David and Sarah's Children baptised in First Ballyeaston Presbyterian Church.

Contact me through the Church website and I will give you what info I have. Info at firstballyeaston dot org

John

Hi John, thanks, I'll contact your there.

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 September 15 02:23 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Scotmum for your succinct answer.

Quote from: Peggy13 on Today at 00:29
He was CORPORATION ASHMAN, whatever that is.

Most likely a refuse collector/street sweeper.

I like your Edmund Burke quote: "People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity."

In that vein I was reflecting on this as well, and came up with a more rambling answer for myself. Do you think this is an accurate picture? Any more to add?

An ashman was a collector or remover of household refuse, and in the age before electrical and city gas heating, ashes were the most abundant domestic refuse to dispose of. This was also before the age of the automobile, so an even bigger refuse problem for the “Corporation” - the municipal government – to dispose of was horse manure; the streets and the people were choking in it. There must have been a lot of ashman, dustman and street sweeper jobs available in the big cities.

Regards,

Willim

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 17:44 BST (UK) »

Peggy, more thoughts on our English connections and on the origins of the Bamford name:

According to the britishsurnames.co.uk website, Bamford is a name of English origins. Assuming that the name would be concentrated where it first originated, at least in earlier times, I checked the UK 1881 census to see if it could find a pattern. I've used this ploy in the past, especially with the Griffith's Valuation records of 1847-1864 in Ireland, to good effect.

The UK 1881 census shows an overwhelming concentration of Bamfords in the County of Lancashire with 2155 people of that surname. The next highest concentration was in Derbyshire with the 399, and Yorkshire was the only other county over 300 with 322. Smaller numbers of Bamfords were sprinkled throughout the UK.

More precise locations can be found in the Census District data. The main concentration of Bamfords was to be found in the Census District of Wuerdle Wardle, Lancashire, with 296. Five neighbouring Census Districts had concentrations ranging from 101 to 161.

So it's my conclusion that the Bamfords in County Antrim were English immigrants, possibly arriving as early as the English Plantation of Ireland in the 1600's, although with the Indusrial Revolution people became much more mobile between England, Ireland and Scotland.

It's significant that Wuerdle Wardle was in the parish, now borough, of Rochdale in northeast Manchester, because south Antrim became a centre of the Irish textile industry, with many English and Scottish immigrants brought in to build it. So the linen industry in Antrim has venerable roots:

“Rochdale rose to prominence during the 19th century as a major mill town and centre for textile manufacture during the Industrial Revolution. It was a boomtown of the Industrial Revolution, and amongst the first ever industrialised towns.[3”

This seems a good place to look for Antrim and Down ancestors with English surnames and emmigrant Irish family members to England.

Cheers,
 Bill

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill,
That is a fascinating bit of history about the Bamford name and Lancashire, etc. Thanks for sending.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Willim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 September 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Peggy, I like to get a feel for the historical and social context of my forebearers.

I'm just back from a two week holiday, and need to get back into my genealogy again. While I was gone, I received registration of marriage for Sanderson Bamford and Eliza Mary Douglas, 14 Feb 1874 at Mountpottinger in the Parish of Knockbreda in the County of Down. I was able to trace Sanderson B's birth to upstate New York, and his father, Jackson Bamford's emmigration to the US. So it appears Sanderson returned to N.I. and found an Irish bride. She was resident in Ballyalbana, Ballyeaston, at the time of their marriage, and it appears father Jackson Bamford had hailed from that vicinity. So far I have been unable to find more Douglas relatives of Eliza Mary or her father William Douglas of Ballyalbana. Still searching.

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 September 15 18:18 BST (UK) »
There's a book called The Ancestry of the Irish-American Thoburns which has a genealogy of the Crawfords of Raloo. 

I haven't been able to find a hard-copy of the book, but here is a link to the relevant page online:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89062526041;view=1up;seq=283