Author Topic: Catherine Wilson Dunlop b 1921  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Wilson Dunlop b 1921
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 September 15 10:06 BST (UK) »
Between 1910 and 1930, according to SP, there were 20 Dunlop children registered with Wilson as a middle name. However none of those had a first name beginning with either C or K. So Catherine must have acquired the middle name after her birth was registered. Or, perhaps, if she had two middle names, there isn't room for the second one (Wilson) in the online index.

There were 21 Cath* Dunlops registered in 1920-1922, 4 of whom were registered in 1921. One of them was registered in Fauldhouse, West Lothian. The registration does not include a middle name starting with M.

It is quite probable that the tree on A*****y is correct, but it may not be; you cannot trust any information you find in an online tree. Use it as a pointer to finding the original documentation.

The only way you are going to make real progress is by getting the information in that 1943 marriage certificate. As it is less than 75 years ago, you cannot view it online. You can either order a copy through the SP web site (quick, reliable, and you have to pay for it), or you can appeal for someone who is going to the SP centre to look at it and transcribe the details for you (free, unreliable, maybe slow). Or you can wait until the 1943 marriages are made available online in 2019.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Wilson Dunlop b 1921
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 September 15 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks gc1, MonicaL and rosie17. That's helpful information. I was particularly interested in the passenger list info as it confirmed that Catherine had gone to Canada. I can now look for her in Canadian censuses.

Latest available Canadian census is 1921.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!