Author Topic: Uniform identification?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform identification?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 September 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
'Irregular' as in not a member of British Armed Forces. Probably a volunteer in a volunteer unit. The Wiki article does refer to such people. Any hint that he did serve in British Army in WWI as he was in UK earlier? How did he get to Archangel, with British contingent? presumably evacuated with British, army, navy and air force. Intriguing questions.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 September 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
Solombala Island is off Arkhangelsk, which is an alternative spelling of Archangel.

The uniform is British army with a White Russian naval badge. But the Whites would have been glad of any equipment they could find. He is showing no rank. The pistol may he his brought from Lithuania via Scotland. Or it may be the photographer's prop.

I doubt he is still in the British army. He would not be allowed to wear the pistol, and you would expect him to have shoulder titles.

Worth a read - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=168247

Ken

Offline carols54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 September 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for help so far - it has been really interesting.  I have done quite a bit more reading since yesterday.  It looks pretty certain that after the 1917 Treaty my grandfather made the choice to fight with the White Russians rather than join the British Army.  It seems there was a feeling that (a) they might be treated as second class citizens if they were with the British as they were still very much regarded as aliens and (b) there was a, probably misplaced, idea that by joining the White Russians they might eventually advance the cause of their native country as a separate state.

Ken - am I right in thinking that you are suggesting (and No, I won't be offended!) that his uniform may well be made up of whatever was available and that there probably was no official White Russian uniform available to them?

I guess that he may well not have moved too far from Archangel as he did return to Scotland and many Lithuanians, it appears, were not allowed to.  Not quite sure what the "criteria" was but suspect location may have been a big factor.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 September 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
My understanding is that 'white' just meant anti-red. There was no one leader - wiki lists eight. So there could not have been an agreed white uniform.

Ken

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 September 15 19:49 BST (UK) »
That's right Ken. Whites or Reds wore identical WWI Russian uniforms as they had done during the war. Obviously, the Reds substituted badges for red stars etc.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.