Author Topic: William Etches  (Read 5108 times)

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Etches
« Reply #18 on: Friday 31 August 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

William Etches of Ashbourne died 1795 wine merchant, in his will he does not mention a son “Richard Cadman Etches”.

Estate was divided between wife Elizabeth, children - John, Elizabeth and Sarah.

Feel sure RCE would have been mentioned if he was his son, even if it was the usual one shilling.

Have no knowledge of the book you mention, but the author could have been making assumptions.

Spendlove
Thanks for the information Spendlove. I have discovered a lot more information about Richard Cadman Etches since I first posted on here a few years ago and have even visited the Ashbourne Heritage Society. So I'm pretty convinced that he was the son of William Etches, the wine merchant, who died in Ashbourne on the 4th July 1795 mainly because when Richard set up the King George's Sound Company in 1785 one of the nine partners listed was "William Etches - Merchant of Ashbourne - Father". Perhaps father and son later fell out over business or perhaps William felt that Richard had become wealthy enough not to require any money from him and/or that the other children were more deserving. Would you be able to tell me how to obtain a copy of William's will? I'd be interested in reading it as Richard had a brother called William, probably born c. 1760 and he doesn't appear to be included in the will either. Many thanks.
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 01 September 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The will is on Find my past under
Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield and Coventry Wills and Probate 1521-1860

In total there are 61 Etches wills, most of which are in Derbyshire.

You will see that for some Wills eg. William there are two entries, one is an index and the other contains the actual will.

I just searched Etches with no other information.

Spendlove

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 September 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The will is on Find my past under
Staffordshire, Dioceses Of Lichfield and Coventry Wills and Probate 1521-1860

In total there are 61 Etches wills, most of which are in Derbyshire.

You will see that for some Wills eg. William there are two entries, one is an index and the other contains the actual will.

I just searched Etches with no other information.

Spendlove

Spendlove

Many thanks for this information Spendlove. I will investigate.
Etches, Plant, Nunn