Author Topic: Look up request, please MILES, Thomas  (Read 5815 times)

Offline 4LauraM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request, please MILES, Thomas
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 September 15 04:46 BST (UK) »
Names and ages of the deceased children.

Would this be full and complete names?

To pay almost $20. Cdn for the certificate,  how much will it help me?
MILES Christchurch, NZ / CLARKE Manchester, UK

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 September 15 05:00 BST (UK) »
Names and ages of the deceased children.

Would this be full and complete names?

To pay almost $20. Cdn for the certificate,  how much will it help me?

The informant provides the information.   The section is at the far right hand side of the image.  The heading has two columns.
Heading " IF DECEASED WAS MARRIED"
Those two columns:

FIRST one is
(1) Where, and at
what (2) Age and
to (3) Whom.

SECOND one is
Issue in order of Birth, their Name and Ages.

So, apart from any other piece of information on that death cert, you will learn just what the informant knew about Thomas and his own parentage, his marriage/s and the children of the marriage/s. 

Mind you, perhaps the informant was the Coroner, but if the informant was say Mrs Miles or perhaps the son who spoke up at the Inquest .... then you should be able to validate any of your own research, and add to your supporting documentation for your records.... 

It is up to you to decide how you spend your pennies....   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 September 15 05:26 BST (UK) »
So, from one of your earlier threads back in March .....  :)

My maternal grandfather, MILES, Reginald Thomas arrived in Canada in 1899. He was born in Christchurch, New Zealand 4 Sept 1877 and died 23 Dec 1964 Vancouver, BC
Canada.  I don't know how he got here or where he landed.  His father was Capt. Thomas MILES, b. Leith, Scotland 1819 & died 31 May 1879 in Footscray, Melbourne, AUS. ......On 18 August 1858, Capt. Thomas MILES married Maria McDONALD at Bromley, Middlesex, England. They had 10 children.  His 2nd wife, Maria McDONALD, died 17 Jan 1878 in Footscray, Melbourne.

My 1st question is how ..... Reginald Thomas MILES traveled from Australia to Canada.

There’s a Vic BDM death registration for a Thomas MILES, aged 59, who died 1879, in Victoria #5560
There’s an online index giving the death/burial  as 2 June 1879, and burial for Footscray, Victoria, noting additional info via AIGS ref M160.

Now, as to the puzzle to get your Reginald, an orphan at a very young age, across to Vancouver, Canada….. I have no knowledge of how to help there, but I am sure there’s Aussie RChatters who can help.

Do you know how many of the children were with their parents in Victoria?  If so, do you have their names and ages?   That detail would usually be included on the Victoria BDM death cert for their parents ......    Is it possible that he was raised by an older sibling?

Do Canada's Archives hold passenger lists?

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline 4LauraM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 September 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
***Mystery solved***
MILES, William McDonald b. 12 Apr 1862
-son of Maria McDonald, 2nd wife of Capt. Thomas Miles.

Thank you very much.

I have sent the 03 June 1879 Inquest newspaper report to my cousin in Australia.

I'm sure he'll know how to & what doc's to retrieve.
MILES Christchurch, NZ / CLARKE Manchester, UK