Author Topic: Sarah Board, born around 1780  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Lynne Dykes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Board, born around 1780
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I don't have those names in my tree yet but both Keitch and Crabb seem to have been quite prolific names in the Ashill area so quite likely related. I have only managed to get back as far as Jacob Crabb 1796 married possibly to Frances, parents of Henry 1824 and on the Keitch side all I have is Ann 1826 with brothers Solomon 1818 and George 1823. Henry and Ann both died quite young it seems and I don't know what happened to their 2 older children George 1848 and Ruth 1850. Any more info gratefully received!

Offline Lynne Dykes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 August 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
Managed to obtain some more info on my Kitch ancestors. Ann Kitch was the daughter of Eli 1786 and Isabella 1796 and on the 1941 census is listed along with siblings Soloman 1818, George 1823, Eli 1827 , Ruth 1831 and Thomas 1840 in Ashill. I'm sure there will be a link somewhere with your Keitch/Kitch ancestors but may need to go further back to obtain the relationship. I found this online and emailed David who has been very helpful http://www.davidkeetch.com/index.html

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 August 18 07:41 BST (UK) »
Apologies, as I haven't contributed for some time.  Over many years I have amassed a huge file of KEETCH and variants with a lead-in:

ASHILL
The boundaries of the Parish of Ashill are:
on the South by Ilminster & Broadway
   S.E.   Ilton
   E.   Whitelackington a detached part
   N.E.   Beer Crocombe
   N.   Stewley in Isle Abbots
   N.W.   A detached part of Barrington
   W.   Broadway

Ashill Baptisms
[NB A note in the Baptisms Register – appearing to be a late insertion -  records ‘The Tax begun Oct 1st 1783’.  However, there are no notations of ‘P’ or ‘Poor’ against entries until 1788 and this very unpopular tax was repealed in 1794, resulting in clusters of ‘late’ baptisms for children born during that period.  The Stamp Duties Act 1783 had imposed a 3d tax on all entries of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials in Parish Registers and only the Poor were exempt from payment.]

Ashill Marriage by Banns by Thomas Alford [Vicar]
[no indication of marital status for either in Marriages Register or Banns book]
06 Apr 1803  Thomas KEETCH (x Mark) & Sarah BOARD (sgd) both of the same parish
Witnesses:  Sarah DALE (x Mark) & Elizabeth DALE (x Mark)

Issue:
√1804   Aaron, Son of Thomas KEETCH & Sarah his Wife was bapt April 4th
√1807   KETCH  Henry Son of Thomas & Sarah April 12
√1809   KETCH  Hannah Dr. of Thomas & Sarah Jul 2
√1812   KETCH, Rebecca, Dr. of Thomas & Sarah Jul 12

√ No 27   26 Mar 1815   Eliza      dau of Thomas & Sarah KETCH Ashill Labourer
√ No 70   10 May 1818   Thomas   son of Thomas & Sarah KETCH Ashill Labourer
√ No 371   26 Jul 1840    Ellen  (Adult     dau of Thomas & Sarah KEITCH Ashill Labourer
√ No 372   26 Jul 1840   Isaac (Baptisms  son of Thomas & Sarah KEITCH Ashill Labourer

I hope those details are of some use.  The ticks indicate a double check for accuracy between my transcriptions from poor early microfiche copies of the PRs and/or the images of Ashill Parish Registers to 1812 now available on-line at Ancestry.

1841 Household at Hastings, Ashill  [HO 107/929/1 Enumeration Schedule 4 page 3]
Thomas Kitch   65      Ag lab   [1851 aged 70 + Henry 45, Ellen 30 & Isaac 26]
Sarah Kitch   65            [1851 aged 69 born Taunton: 1861 aged 82 born Hatch]
Aaron Kitch   35   [FindMyPast transcript Frank]     Aaron bur 29 Sep 1843 aged 39
Henry Kitch   30   
Thomas Kitch   20   
Sarah Kitch   19   [v. faint Christian name & age - all others 'rounded down' to nearest 5]
(6)

The Ancestry image is slightly clearer than FindMyPast.

I have loads more KEETCH & variant records to share but I'll have a serious crack for Sarah BOARD over the weekend.

SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 August 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the info dee-jay, that's brilliant. Strange there's no baptism for Sarah (on the 1841). But ties in with what I have of the family.  :)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
I have not been idle! ::)

I suspected there might have been Non-conformists in the BOARD family but my recent searches provided me with more avenues for my personal research in the district as well as these records you may consider worthy of your consideration and/or pursuit:

Whitestaunton
Bishop's Transcripts [BTs]
17 Feb 1782  Sarah BOORD

Whitestaunton Parish Register [PR]
17 Feb 1782  Sarah BEARD

Chard Baptism
No 48 22 Sep 1782   Sarah BORD   Dau of Henry & Sarah BORD

Dalwood, Devon
11 April 1784      Sarah dau of Joel BOARD & Sarah baptised

Ilminster Dissenters Chapel
Deborah BOARD wife of James BOARD daughter of John & Jane BURRIDGE of Ilminster born May 1st 1758 baptised Apr 7 1806 by J.R. HARRIS

If you'd care to PM  me with an email address, I'll send you my 'ramblings', when they're in some semblance of order.  ;D
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 August 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks dee-jay, will do.

Have been re-examining a later section on this branch of my tree for the last few days too, sadly a few options making it difficult to prove 🤔
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....