Author Topic: Death of a British Subject in Shanghai, 1955  (Read 1432 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Death of a British Subject in Shanghai, 1955
« on: Friday 04 September 15 23:14 BST (UK) »
I have found a death certificate under "Deaths within the District of the British Consul General for Shanghai" for a great uncle, George Hunter, who died Feb 2, 1955 in Shanghai. The certificate shows that he died at "The Shanghai Municipal First Hospital Shanghai" and that a "Local Medical Certificate of Death" was produced. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could find out if/and where he might be buried, or if he he was cremated? Also is there any hope of obtaining a copy of this "Local Medical Certificate of Death"
I am reasonably certain that I have the correct relative as while some of the other info on the certificate is not exact, the fact that it was given by a friend may allow for these discrepancies. Also, the fact that the friend's name is familiar to me from family conversations, makes the chance of it being mere coincidence, less likely. The name, profession, and friend are correct, but the age is slightly off....but they would have not likely had a birth record, so the friend would have guessed. The same holds for both his own and his father's places of birth ( Father listed as born in London and it was really Manchester and George listed as born in Shanghai which could actually be correct although all his siblings were born in Hong Kong ) Being that his father worked in the tea trade and based himself in Foochow much of the time, the birth could have been anywhere over there.
Well, that's it. I hope someone can offer some leads or starting points. I'm running low!
Thanks to all.
Brian Beesley
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of a British Subject in Shanghai, 1955
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 15 00:16 BST (UK) »
I don't know about the 1950's, but when my great-grandfather died in Shanghai in 1896 he was buried in the "New Cemetery" Shanghai, which i understand was for the European community

This article has some info on foreign graves & cemeteries in Shanghai
http://yangziman.blog.com/2011/10/04/shanghais-lost-foreigner-cemeteries/
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 September 15 01:08 BST (UK) »
I read that same article recently and I guess it makes my chances of finding anything more, pretty bleak! Still, strange things happen...such as my finding our family home in Shanghai on Google Earth. Though there's no street view for Shanghai, I was lucky to find that a tourist from Japan had taken photos of the house and posted them on Panoramio, with a thumbnail on Google Earth close to the spot on the earth view map. The home is virtually unchanged since my grandfather purchased it in about 1928.
  I noticed that the certificate I have also lists the address for my deceased great uncle, as Lane 1604, House 13, North Szechuan Road, Shanghai. I wonder if there is anything left of that?

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 08:38 GMT (UK) »
There could have been an English Will for George Hunter. I did not find one 1955/1956.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 16:36 GMT (UK) »
It is quite likely that George would have died without any will. We are not sure why he would have chosen to remain in Shanghai, if indeed he was living there at the time of his death, It's also possible he was just visiting. He would have had a circle of friends there I suppose, or at least some connections from the old days. His brother had already moved back to Hong Kong and the last reference we have is the letter from his brother noting his birthday, Mar 10 1954

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 February 16 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted their Gov't site to see if they can steer you to the correct archives? http://www.shanghai.gov.cn/shanghai/node23919/index.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com