Author Topic: Doyle Family  (Read 11920 times)

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Doyle Family
« on: Saturday 05 September 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a John Doyle b abt 1842 in Dublin who was living with his parents Michael Doyle and Catherine on the 1861 census in Margam Glamorgan South Wales, Michael Doyle and Catherine gave their place of birth as Kildare Ireland, I cannot find anymore about the parents thereafter and think they may have returned to Ireland
John Doyle however married Frances Norah Finnegan in 1869 in Gosport Hampshire and they had 9 children quite a few in different locations as John Doyle was in the Army, on his son's MC he was described as Quartermaster Sergeant in the 13th Battalion Somerset Light Infantry although I am not sure how accurate that is
By 1878 he was living in Kilsyth Stirlingshire Scotland but was still an Instructor in the Army and by 1901 he was a clerk in a Quarry
Why I am so interested is that my mother before she married used to come from Newbridge Co Kildare to visit relations in Kilsyth who were Millers but she also talked about Arthur Doyle who was a descendant of the above John Doyle
My mother's father was Scottish but her mother was Irish and after her father retired from the Army they settled in Newbridge and I know that both my grandfather and g grandfather who was also in the Army had connections to the Curragh Camp and my mother went to school there
I am hoping that this might jog some memories

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Doyle Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
www.irishgenealogy.ie has baptism & marriage records for Dublin.  www.registers.nli.ie has RC church records baptism & marriage Free to search for Ireland.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 15 01:07 BST (UK) »
from the 1871 army index

this could be him?

First name(s)   John
Last name   Doyle
Service number   1220
Rank   Sergeant
Unit or Regiment   2nd Bn 13th (1st Somersetshire)(Prince Albert's Light Infantry) Regiment of Foot
HQ location   Pembroke Dock, Wales

maybe not as this John Doyle is also in the 1861 index

First name   John
Last name   Doyle
Service number   1220
Rank   Private
Unit or Regiment   2nd Btn 13th Foot (1st Somerset-Prince Albert)
Regiment stationed at   King Williams Town-Cape of Good Hope
Year   1861
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 15 01:19 BST (UK) »
Can you quote the 1861 census reference...i cant find him   ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 15 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you for your replies, this looks like John Doyle on the Army Index but I don't think it can be given what I have on him

1861 census RG9/ 4080/ 121 p 263 but this of course might not be him
He married Frances Norah Finnegan 26 April 1869 Gosport Hampshire
1871 Census  RG10/3501/91 p 16
1881 Parish: Stirling;  Married Quarters; Page: 16;  the first 3 children were born in Ireland which makes me wonder if he was at the Curragh for a time
1891 Parish: Kilsyth; ED: 5; Page: 25; Line: 17
Maybe this will help

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
I never figured out what to do with those Census number thingys so does this fit?

Curragh Camp
May 6 1872
Annie Daughter of John Doyle & Fanny Finnigan
Joseph Doyle Annie Finnigan (I think)

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634456#page/8/mode/1up
Top of right page.

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 15 16:18 BST (UK) »
Oh Thank you so much yes that is them which confirms the Curragh Camp connection I think that my grandfather Alexander Cockburn was stationed there at some time and on the 1871 census John Doyle was at Defensible Barracks at Pembroke
Are Joseph Doyle and Annie Finnegan witnesses if so I think I have found Joseph Doyle as well in Scotland

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 September 15 16:43 BST (UK) »

Are Joseph Doyle and Annie Finnegan witnesses if so I think I have found Joseph Doyle as well in Scotland

Sponsors/Godparents
The surnames make them look like an uncle and aunt of the child, but would John and Frances have family in the area?
What were the names and approx date of births for the other children born in Ireland?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 September 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
I was having a look at your other threads trying to see what the connection to the Doyle's was but noticed the Cockburn connections to Kildare
Not sure if this link will work
http://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/Olive/APA/KCL.Edu/#panel=search&search=3
Saturday 7 July 1915 Kildare Observer
.....Newbridge Sanitary Steam Laundry Company Ltd, the petition was heard of Alexander Cockburn and Mrs Louisa Cockburn widow of 7 Annfield Terrace Henry Street Newbridge for the winding up of the company....
There is also ads for the company in earlier editions.