Author Topic: Doyle Family  (Read 11953 times)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Doyle Family
« Reply #27 on: Monday 07 September 15 23:59 BST (UK) »
there is a note in Stuart Cockburns National School Admissions record that says he was Admitted to this school in 1905,,,,then left "for Hong Kong " same year.

First name(s)   Stuart
Last name   Cockburn
Birth year   1894
Birth date   02 Jun 1894
Event year   1905
School name   Upper Meyrick Street and Albion Square School, Pembroke Dock
Town   Pembroke Dock
County   Pembrokeshire
Country   Wales
Parent name(s)   Alexander
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 10:09 BST (UK) »
I would love to find John Doyle's service record he definitely did not have children in India
I have found his DC he died 1913 in Stirlingshire his parents were Michael Doyle bookbinder and Margaret Roe so the Joseph Doyle who I feel has a connection is not John's brother as he gave his parents as John Doyle and Anne Buggi on his marriage cert so perhaps they were cousins
As for Stuart Cockburn he must have joined the Royal Engineers while his father Alexander was stationed at Pembroke Dock  Stuart's sister Louisa Beatrice was born there in 1904
I must thank you again for all the time you are taking on this I do appreciate it

Offline maggiec237

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 05 March 16 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Have just come across your findings on John Doyle and Frances Finnegan. They were my  great grand parents.  My father was Arthur Doyle (born in Glasgow January 3rd 1904 - died in Falkirk June 1984) He went to Glasgow University, taught History and English in Paisley and Lennoxtown, then became a Primary School Head Teacher in and around Falkirk.  His father was Arthur, son of John and Frances (Finnegan) Doyle who was born in Ireland, and shows up on the 1891 census as a 16 year old living in Dunbreath St, Kilsyth. He died in 1904, six months after my father was born, after marrying Isabella Stevenson who lived at Parkburn, with her children, (my father and his sister Agnes), after her husband's death.

I have a copy of the Gazeteer of Scotland which belonged to John Doyle (signed Jno Doyle, Sergeant Instructor, Stirling Castle 18th June 1880), inside which is what I assume are the sergeant's stripes from his uniform. 
The only siblings of Arthur (my grandfather)  that I know anything of were:
- Annie, who married a police constable called Edmund Hogan, and their son Edmund Albert was Registrar General for Scotland in the 1950s.

-Fanny (Frances) who married Charles Austin and had two daughters Isabel and Nora. They lived in Rothesay.

Hope that helps

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 06 March 16 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello
You have made my day, it is great to hear from a member of the Doyle family, there is a connection with my family
It has taken me a long time to work it all out as all I knew to start with, was that my mother used to visit cousins in Kilsyth by the name of Stevenson and Miller and she used to talk about Arthur Doyle and Parkburn House
My mother's maiden name was Cockburn, her father Alexander Cockburn was in the army, he married Kathleen McIntyre who was born in Antrim Ireland, it was through her that there was the relationship to the cousins who were Kathleen Taggart Miller who married Harry Otley Stevenson, he was related to Isabella Ecklin Stevenson the other Miller sister Jenny married Peter St Clair
I was born and brought up in Falkirk Stirlingshire and I am pretty sure that my mother never knew that Arthur was living in the Falkirk area as I am sure she would have made contact, she was in touch with one of the St Clairs who lived in Falkirk
Who did Arthur marry and how many children did he have?
My mother's name was Ivy and her sister was Katherine (Kate) Cockburn and they both visited Kilsyth prior to 1936 my mother then married Alexander Dennison and settled in Falkirk
Thank for the information you have sent and for getting in touch
Pam

Offline maggiec237

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 March 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for interesting response. My father Arthur Doyle married Jessie Baxter, also from Kilsyth, in September 1945 and they had one child (me) in 1949. I know very little about my grandmother Isabella Ecklin Stevenson and have no photos, just a couple of her books.  I need to untangle the Stevensons  when I can find some time but I remember talk of my father's Uncle Bob and Uncle Harry, and I remember his cousin John running a grocer's shop in Kilsyth. I also have a very vague memory of Crichton at Parkburn when I was a child. My maternal grandparents and my two aunts lived in Horsbrugh Avenue in Kilsyth and I was a regular visitor there when I was younger.

I was brought up in Laurieston and went to Falkirk High in the 1960s.

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 21 March 16 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie
I can remember my mother talking about Crighton Stevenson, I have quite a lot of information on the Stevensons which I can share with you, my email address is  (*) if you want to get in touch
I also went to Falkirk High School but that was in the 50s
Pam

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline PeterRolf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 03 April 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
Friday 3 April 2020
I'm your cousin peter; you can find me on Facebook as Peter Rolf (from Rothesay isle of Bute) I last saw your father Arthur in 1963. Contact me Pls.

Offline Pamchetland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 03 April 20 17:53 BST (UK) »
Your Post has come to the wrong person my mother Ivy Cockburn knew Arthur Doyle in Kilsyth in their younger days his daughter Margaret got in touch when I posted on Rootsweb
Pam

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 03 April 20 19:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Peter
The message has gone to everyone who posted to the thread.
Maggiec237 hasn't been online since April 2016, if still using the same email address she should get an email notification or it may be worth trying to send her a Private Message but you need to have made at least 2 posts to use the message system.