Author Topic: Esther Brown nee Scott  (Read 8599 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: BROWN Esther
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 September 15 06:46 BST (UK) »
So give me your opinion!  ;D I must say that my friends Grand Father was Adam Brown b.1884 d.1970 and she knew him and he was vv dark in skin colour.

So, from within the family's own records (not the ones available online NOW, but from when Adam 1884-1970 was alive), what info was known at that time about Adam's parents, siblings etc....

So, Adam born 1884 .... who were his parents, his brothers/sisters and where were they born .... If not in Tasmania .... then when did they move across Bass Strait? 

Working back, one generation at a time  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 September 15 07:03 BST (UK) »

There’s a death registered in 1922 (Geelong) Victoria for a Henry BROWN, aged 87, with parents names indexed as Henry BROWN and Esther SCOTT.  #1532

If your friend believes this is their Adam's father, then perhaps that would be a good certificate to obtain to check what further information the informant provided about the children of the deceased, given that Adam should be noted on that document. 

Vic BDM offers an immediate download of the original image  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 September 15 07:08 BST (UK) »
So this may be the death of the Adam BROWN

BROWN Adam
Father Henry
Mother Elizabeth  MILLS
Death Place GEEL
Age 86
Year 1970
Reg 19052

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We build our pedigrees based on the proofs we find
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 September 15 07:15 BST (UK) »
Ok Adam's father was Henry b. abt 1847 in Tasmania m Elizabeth Mills in 1870 going by Henrys death he arrived from Tassie in 1862..... sorry tried to attach marriage and death of Henry but wont let me..
i do have wedding and death certs but gives us no clues...
Brooker, Creagh Curran, Ellingsen, Evans, Hatton, Ryan, Slade, Campbell, Flett

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 September 15 07:26 BST (UK) »
Ok Adam's father was Henry b. abt 1847 in Tasmania m Elizabeth Mills in 1870 going by Henrys death he arrived from Tassie in 1862..... sorry tried to attach marriage and death of Henry but wont let me..
i do have wedding and death certs but gives us no clues...

The 1870 marriage cert will include details that Henry himself actually provided (so first hand info) to the clergy about his origins, his age, his occupation and about his parents too.  So could you please type these up. 

(Add, especially his then age !   1870 - 1847 = about 22 or 23 ish..... I would expect the document to have him as about 32 or 33 ish )  :)

Cheers,  JM 

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 September 15 07:48 BST (UK) »
I am able to see eight births to Henry BROWN and Elizabeth (nee MILLS) in Victoria.
I will type them up if of interest, but perhaps they are listed on the death certificate of Henry BROWN?

Here is the Victorian index item for the marriage

Henry BROWN (born Tasmania)
MILLS Elizabeth (born Berk)
Year 1870
Reg  2611

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 September 15 07:56 BST (UK) »
Married 9th 1870 at St Thomas's church Winchelsea Victoria, Henry Brown and Elizabeth Mills both never married before Henry from Patterson's plains Tasmania her ? he was 31 she was 21 parents Henry Brown mother Esther Scott hers Allen Mills mother Esther Low all farmers, Henry could not write looks as Elizabeth could witnesses Richard Mills and Allen Mills

Offline Freya Ellingsen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 September 15 08:03 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth could be born @ either Shilling Ford Berks (shire)? of Hilling Ford hard to make out!

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Brown nee Scott
« Reply #26 on: Monday 07 September 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
I don't know the full story and Mr Google is not telling me anything useful, but I would want to know what proof both sides have of their idea of Esther's origins.  There must have been something that gave them the idea in the first place.

I think your friend needs to accept that Henry and Esther had 14 children.

The copy of John SCOTT's diary mentions this piece placed in the newspaper after he drowned, asking for someone to take on the girls.  This occurred in 1843 and the surviving children were aged 12 (the son Tom), the eldest girl 9, and a younger girl (Mary Ann and Catherine).  An infant drowned with the father.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/36235130

So SCOTT's wife had a child in 1814 and an infant in 1843?  How many wives did he have?

Debra  :)