Author Topic: Cat green, Ruthvenfield  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Cat green, Ruthvenfield
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 September 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
I take it you already had the births for the children of Thomas Stewart & Christian McFarlane, prior to my post  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 September 15 18:55 BST (UK) »
I take it you already had the births for the children of Thomas Stewart & Christian McFarlane, prior to my post  ???

Annie
Yes thanks Annie - the births of the children were easy to locate on SP, but thank you for taking the time to confirm our information.

As Christian Stewart's maiden name was McFarlane, we have managed to confirm her  line back (with the help of SP and the Borenich website http://www.borenich.co.uk/Contents.html ) to about 1720 in Blair Atholl.

Our problem has been identifying the Stewart line in Perthshire. To confound the Stewart name issue, Christian's daughter,Ann Stewart, born 1817,  has a father named Thomas Stewart, and she married a Thomas Stewart, farmer and miller!
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all
May be something or nothing
" house of Ruthven" now known as Hunting tower Castle, also I do not believe there were any tenements built in this area as it is all rural farmland.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Forget the above.
Go to NLS site    http://maps.nls.uk/view/74428176

in the top right hand corner "Ruthvenfield House"

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 11:31 BST (UK) »
I take it you already had the births for the children of Thomas Stewart & Christian McFarlane, prior to my post   ???
Yes thanks Annie - the births of the children were easy to locate on SP, but thank you for taking the time to confirm our information.

As Christian Stewart's maiden name was McFarlane, we have managed to confirm her  line back (with the help of SP and the Borenich website http://www.borenich.co.uk/Contents.html ) to about 1720 in Blair Atholl.

Our problem has been identifying the Stewart line in Perthshire. To confound the Stewart name issue, Christian's daughter,Ann Stewart, born 1817,  has a father named Thomas Stewart, and she married a Thomas Stewart, farmer and miller!

Just a pity you hadn't mentioned what you had found to date................would have saved a lot of searching.

In your post you only mentioned 2 children from this couple, Ann & William.

However, I'm unsure how you have managed to establish a MacFarlane line as your post indicated you were unsure of Christian being a McFarlane..... ???

Parish: Tibbermore; ED: 5; Page: 4; Line: 10; Roll: CSSCT1851_82; Year: 1851

I believe Christian Stewart is Christian McFarlane, born Pitagowan, Blair Atholl, 1790. Her daughter Ann Stewart was born at Moneydie in 1817.

1871:Parish: Mains; ED: 3; Page: 23; Line: 18; Roll: CSSCT1871_57 Living with daughter Euphemia and son in law Thomas Sword, Balmuir Bank Gate, Mains, Angus.

There was no Euphemia in the list of children so I'm wondering whether she was Elspeth/Elizabeth  ???

You have not included death dates for any of this family & I would suggest the death cert. of your direct descendant (whichever child of Thomas & Christian) to determine Christian's surname  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 17:10 BST (UK) »

However, I'm unsure how you have managed to establish a MacFarlane line as your post indicated you were unsure of Christian being a McFarlane..... ???

Parish: Tibbermore; ED: 5; Page: 4; Line: 10; Roll: CSSCT1851_82; Year: 1851

I believe Christian Stewart is Christian McFarlane, born Pitagowan, Blair Atholl, 1790. Her daughter Ann Stewart was born at Moneydie in 1817.

1871:Parish: Mains; ED: 3; Page: 23; Line: 18; Roll: CSSCT1871_57 Living with daughter Euphemia and son in law Thomas Sword, Balmuir Bank Gate, Mains, Angus.

There was no Euphemia in the list of children so I'm wondering whether she was Elspeth/Elizabeth  ???

You have not included death dates for any of this family & I would suggest the death cert. of your direct descendant (whichever child of Thomas & Christian) to determine Christian's surname  ???

Annie
[/quote]

Again, I thank you for your assistance– as I said the births of the Stewart children were easy to locate on SP, but thank you for taking the time to confirm our information. We have relied on original source material for our family information from OPRs,  Statutory 1841- 1881 Scotland census returns for Redgorton, Tibbermore, and Dundee, rather than the secondary source material transcribed on FS as it has always been the most reliable.
My husband's 4 x maternal grandparents were Thomas Stewart (bleachfield watchman) and Christian McFarlane, who raised their family  and worked  in Moneydie, Tibbermore and Redgorton, Perthshire 1810s to 1850s.
Facts about our family are corroborated by the information  provided on the  1889 death record of his 3 x grandmother  Ann1 .  Her parents are both named, including Christian Stewart’s maiden name of McFarlane.
The information about her father, Thomas Stewart being a  bleacher , on 3 x G Grandmother Ann’s death certificate1is also corroborated by the information  provided on the 1877 death certificate2 of her mother, Christian Stewart nee McFarlane. Although the information on  provided by Christian’s son in law, Thomas Sword, it appears to be most accurate, with Christian Stewart’s parents named as  Christian Stewart and John McFarlane. She is stated as being 88 years old at time of death, and three census returns show her as being born in Perthshire, the corresponding 1851, 1861 and 1871 censes showing place of birth as Blair Atholl. While there are many Stewart/McFarlane unions in Blair Atholl, there is only one in which the information from  Christian McFarlane’s death certificate is accurately reflected – that of Christian McFarlane, born in Pitagowan, Blair Atholl in 17903 . 
It would  seem there is an 1837 death certificate for a Thomas Stewart, bleacher in Huntingtower that MAY be the death certificate of Christian McFarlane’s spouse Thomas Stewart.4 Christian Stewart nee McFarlane is named as a widow in the 1851 census5, and would APPEAR to be the head of the household in the 1841 census at Redgorton6 .

These sources for our family records aside, my post to this forum is an enquiry about the 1851 census5 about Christian Stewart and her family at Cat Green , Ruthvenfield.

THANKS to the posts by  Bleckie and DonM , I now have a clear idea of  where CAT GREEN, would be In Tibbermore.  The NLS maps are invaluable in providing historically accurate details of the locations the Stewart family lived and worked.
The 1851 census placing Christian Stewart nee McFarlane at Cat Green is particularly perplexing, as we do not know the relationship of the three Allan children to Christian  - nieces and nephew ?  We have been unable to locate Christian Stewart nee McFarlane on the 1861 census, or indeed her daughter Ann Stewart, who was married to a miller/farmer??
If anyone has any additional information about this family of Stewarts in Redgorton and Tbbermore, I would welcome any assistance offered.  MANY THANKS.

1.   STEWART, ANN (Statutory Deaths 282/03 0114). 1889
2.   STEWART, CHRISTINA (Statutory Deaths 307/01 0023) 1877
3.   03/08/1790 MCFARLANE CHRISTIAN JOHN MCFARLANE/CHRISTIAN STEWART BLAIR ATHOLL /PERTH 334/00 0020 0131
4.   STEWART, THOMAS (O.P.R. Deaths 395/00 0060 0248 TIBBERMORE) 1837
5.   Parish: Tibbermore; ED: 5; Page: 4; Line: 10; Roll: CSSCT1851_82; Year: 1851
6.   Parish: Redgorton; ED: 4; Page: 3; Line: 1170; Year: 1841

DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Forget the above.
Go to NLS site    http://maps.nls.uk/view/74428176

in the top right hand corner "Ruthvenfield House"

Yours Aye
BruceL

Thanks Bruce - Cat Green is the property next to Ruthven House not Ruthvenfield house - both houses are in close proximity to each other but Ruthven House is next to Ruthven Flour Mill. Excellent map.