Author Topic: LEAY burials 1925 - 1927 (Wirral)  (Read 1722 times)

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
LEAY burials 1925 - 1927 (Wirral)
« on: Sunday 06 September 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
On 10 June 1925 James LEAY of the Magazines, Bromborough died, his widow Jane LEAY died on 27 Sept 1927 at the same address.

I'm wondering where this couple may have been buried - any help to find them most welcome - thank you!

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
Re: LEAY burials 1925 - 1927 (Wirral)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 15 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hello plimmerian

Unfortunately, not found burial place, have found reports in newspapers re the LEAY family.  Are they buried at the church James and Jane  were married from?

You may already have these newspaper reports?

Cheshire Observer & Chester, Birkenhead, Crewe and North Wales Times
Saturday Aug 12 1865 page 8
Marriages
LEAY-HOWARD - On the 6th instant, at St. Michael's, Liverpool, by the Rev. Thomas C. Webster, James Leay, eldest son of Mr. Richard Leay, Bromborough, to Jane, youngest daughter of Mr. John Davies Howard, of Liverpool.

Liverpool Mercury
Tuesday Aug 8th 1865
LEAY-HOWARD Aug 6th, at St. Michael's by the Rev. Thomas C. Webster, James Leay eldest son of Mr. Richard Leay, Bromborough, to Jane, youngest daughter of Mr. John Davies Howard, of this town.

Liverpool Mercury
Tues June 12th 1866
LEAY - June 8th, at 104 Rathbone-street, Mrs. James Leay, of a daughter.

Cheshire Observer
Saturday Aug 23rd 1879 page 5
On the 20th inst, at St. Mary's Parish Church, Birkenhead, by the Rev. Cannon Lloyd, LL.D., John, youngest son of Richard Leay, of the Magazines, Bromborough, to Mary, youngest daughter of the late George Dickie, timber merchant of Birkenhead.

Dreadful Steam-Boat Collison on the Mersey
Friday May 29th 1846
This is a very large report:
Wounded were conveyed in carts.......belonged to Mr. Richard Leay Keeper of the Magazines.

marthaannie

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 15 23:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those interesting finds!

Just received the marriage certificate on Friday last but I do like to own a copy for my records. ;)

My Gran was born Annie Leay Aldridge and I always wondered where the name came from. Her Grandmother (Mary Wilson, prev Burnett, nee Howard) was the sister of Jane Leay nee Howard, so her mother's cousins would be LEAY relations. And they always used to say she was Annie Leah but the official records proved them wrong! ;-))

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 September 15 14:21 BST (UK) »
It is possible they were buried in St Mary's (The Priory) but some of the graves were removed when they built repair docks at Cammel Lairds and the remains were reburied at Landican.  I don't know if these graves were marked but I doubt it.
Moreton. McKeown.