Author Topic: William DUCKWORTH war grave (Rake Lane)  (Read 1752 times)

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William DUCKWORTH war grave (Rake Lane)
« on: Sunday 06 September 15 13:58 BST (UK) »
I wondered if anyone local to the Rake Lane Cemetery would be willing to see if a war grave stone is on the plot of William Duckworth - the details I found suggest he is buried in plot 5 / grave 358 in the C of E section - his date of death is listed as 17 Sept 1918 - thank you!

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William DUCKWORTH war grave (Rake Lane)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 September 15 00:45 BST (UK) »
As there is a listing on CWGC for this gravestone, you will find that the answer to your question is most probably yes there is a stone. The stone is likely to be of white Portland stone and of the uniform style adopted, The memorial will most probably be maintained by the CWGC. One of local churchyards has 14 memorial stones from WW1 & WW11

http://twgpp.org/downloads/About_the_CWGC.pdf

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 September 15 02:56 BST (UK) »
looks like a "normal" gravestone?

http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=3378663
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 September 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
As there is a listing on CWGC for this gravestone, you will find that the answer to your question is most probably yes there is a stone. The stone is likely to be of white Portland stone and of the uniform style adopted.

The fact that this is a war grave listed by CWGC is of no guidance as to whether the grave is marked by a CWGC standard pattern stone. Possibly a majority of casualties buried in the UK and listed by the CWGC are marked by private headstones, sometimes including other family members. What may be of guidance is the document attached to this person's record on the CWGC site which suggests that originally his grave was marked by a private stone. Sometimes these are replaced by a CWGC headstone if they fall into disrepair but the photo suggests the grave is still marked by the original private monument.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 September 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
Not just in the UK, my grandfather's death in Africa in 1916 is detailed on the CWGC  site, he has a private headstone.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 22:21 BST (UK) »
Had a photo of his grave and I think he does have a war grave?  PC crashed and I lost all my war grave photo's but I know he had one because he was a relative of ours.  My grandmothers brother I think?  I can take another photo if you want one?
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hmm! Might be getting mixed up with Frank Duckworth who is also buried in Rake lane.  He is one of ours but William I am not sure of?  I will look for his grave and take a photo when I get the chance.

Alan
Moreton. McKeown.