Author Topic: The Rogers family Kilbirnie  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Rogers family Kilbirnie
« on: Sunday 06 September 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody

I am looking for a Rogers family who were involved in a maritime disaster in 1853 http://www.anniejane.net/  Survivors were Timothy the father, James and John. The only casualty of the family was William Charles who was drowned.
Could somebody with access to the 1851 Census look them up?
Ideally I would like ages occupations and anything else of interest. Would like to know if they had another attempt at emigrating.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Allan

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: The Rogers family Kilbirnie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 15 18:04 BST (UK) »
This is the link for survivors.............rather than having to scroll through it all.

http://www.anniejane.net/passengers/steerage-passengers-surviving/

These little things help people a lot  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 September 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

I suspect your Rogers family could be Irish ???
There is an Irish family called Rogers on the 1851 at Kilbirnie - there are sons James, John and William but the younger 2 are far to young to have been emigrating to work. Plus the father's name is recorded as Peter  :-\

ROGERS   Peter   Head   M   M   40   Labourer    Ireland       
 ROGERS   Susan   Wife   M   F   37       Ireland       
 ROGERS   Cath   Dau      U   F   17       Ireland       
 ROGERS   James   Son    U   M   15       Ireland         
 ROGERS   Hugh   Son         M   13       Ireland       
 ROGERS   Margt   Dau        F   11       Ireland         
 ROGERS   John   Son          M   7       Ireland       
 ROGERS   Susan   Dau        F   4       Ireland       
 ROGERS   William   Son       M   2       Lanarkshire - Monkland       

This family could be related to the men who were on the Anniejane .

Looby

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby

I had to sleep on that one, But I think you have hit the nail on the head. They gave their names on a few occasions and they were always consistent. So if they were not on the 1851 census in Kilbirnie they probably weren't there. So looks likely they must have arrived in Kilbirnie after the 1851 Census. Don't think I will find them in Ireland, did not realise that most of the records for Ireland were destroyed so the chances are minimal.

So that is possibly a dead end unless some Irish Rogers looking for his roots stumbles on this post.

Thanks again

Allan

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I looked at the Tithe Applotment Books for Ireland 1814-1855 and discovered 4 mentions of Timothy Rogers in it.They are as follows;

1823 parish: Inishannon, co Cork
1824  parish: Inchicronan, co Clare
1825  parish: Kilcorney, co Clare
1826  parish: Tomgraney, co Clare

I have found references to Timothy in co Clare in the 1829 Freeholders list at Inchicronan as well as other Rogers'.
Also, if you go onto the website irishgenealogy.ie, they have many records for county Cork that you can look at and there are several for Timothy in the timeframe you are looking at.
Do you happen to know the mother's name for James, John & William Charles? It looks as though she perhaps died before they made the fateful voyage in 1853.

I think I may have found that they again may have tried immigration. I could not find Timothy's record but this looks like it may be his sons (Timothy may have gone 1st).

Passenger List:
departure from Liverpool, England
arrival in Boston, Massachusetts
on 4 Sept 1854
ship: Break O Day
James Rogers  age 14  born Ireland
John Rogers  age 17  born Ireland

even though I didn't find Timothy in the passenger lists, I did find him in Boston as well;

1870 US census
Ward 4, Boston, Mass

Timothy B Rogers  age 55  occ: carpenter  born Ireland
Mary I Rogers  age 28  occ: keeping house  born: New Brunswick
William E Rogers  age 13  occ: attends school  born: Massachusetts

Without more checking I cannot confirm for definite if this is the Timothy, John & James you seek but it may be. The Timothy Rogers' that are listed in the Tithe Applotment books, could either be Timothy father of John, James & William or the father or grandfather of Timothy. As Timothy isn't a commonly used forename in Ireland the likelihood is that Timothy was named after another in his family. Don't give up the Irish search just yet. Hope this helps, Kim

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 15 19:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kim

Especially your encouraging words about not giving up Ireland, I was beginning to think you had all emigrated. First word I have heard back from there, even when there is almost ten missing from a family its as if they never existed, which is sort of sad.

That's a lot of work and well done. I think that's very likely to be them especially the two boys emigrating, how brave and how young after the awful experience of the Annie Jane.
The naming of the younger brother after the dead son, how hard he must have tried to save them all.
Its a happy ending and unless somebody else comes up with a better solution I am content with that.

As for mothers name , that's a no the only information we have is the list of names if we are lucky we have a place of origin and sometimes as with the Rogers family its a red herring. We are lucky to have that, in those days poor folk did not have names.

So thanks for all your hard work its very much appreciated.

Regards Allan