Author Topic: Brick Wall - Muir Family  (Read 5208 times)

Offline lzbth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick Wall - Muir Family
« on: Sunday 06 September 15 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if anyone could help me unravel my brick wall.
My great grandmother Mary Jane Muir a widow with two children Robert and James
married  a Matthew White in Limavady in 1897. They lived in Mulkeeragh.
 James and Elizabeth were my grandparents but we an find no record of a mariage for them.
On my aunt and fathers birth certificate it give his mothers maiden name as King. My aunt was born in 1913 in Drumadreen and my Father 1917 in Mulkeeragh.
I have found a marriage for a James Muir and Elizabeth Simpson in 1912 which would tie in.
I have run out of ideas where else to look and any suggestions would be very helpful
Muir, Corbett, McCamley, Scott, Johnston

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 15 18:33 BST (UK) »
Was the child born in 1913 called Lillie Muir? if so, I think I found more information.

Lillie Muir (born 12 Aug.1913, birth registered Limavady district) is listed in GRONI index with mothe's maiden name King.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lzbth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
Yes her name was Tillie but on her birth cert it shows as Lillie. Mothers maiden nae King, Thats when i hit a brick wal i can't find any record of James and Elizabeth getting married to be honest i don't care if they were or not i would just like to be able to find out a bit more about Elizabeth, Thank you for your reply

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
The birth certificate will list mother's maiden name but a marriage certificate will list a woman by the name she's currently using, so a widow will be listed under the surname of her deceased husband. Therefore, in this case, you might need to search for Elizabeth (or some form of the name) King marrying a Simpson before 1912.
However, it would be much simpler to get the 1912 marriage certificate for a small fee on GRONI's website to see what her father's name and marital status are.
Have you found her in 1901 and 1911 census returns yet?

Added- previous topic-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=699552
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lzbth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
I will try now you have given me another track to try, thank you for your assistance its realy appriecated

Offline lzbth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 15 19:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be a pest. I've checked GRONI for a marriage, on the marriage cert for James and Elizabeth the info is as below.
James Muir Batchelor Ballyquin Father James Muir   Grocer. My James's father was deceased
Eliza Simpson Spinster Drumadreen Father Daniel Simpson Labourer.
cannot find either on the census but previously found both had signed the covenant in Drumadreen

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 September 15 06:29 BST (UK) »
Just putting this out here, it's pretty flimsy so just worth noting until you can rule in or out. The name "Daniel Simpson" isn't two-a-penny in that area at that time. One I could see is a Daniel Simpson who married Elizabeth Horner in 1872 and went on to have a number of children, here they all are in 1901 in Moys:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/The_Highlands/Moys/1522845/

A Rose Simpson was born in Moys on 18 November 1873, the father is stated as Daniel Simpson of Moys, the mother as Anne King ("formerly" stroked out on the certificate). I'm just wondering, was her full name Rose Elizabeth, or indeed was there another child called Elizabeth.

Is Eliza Simpson who married James Muir the illegitimate daughter of Daniel Simpson and Anne King?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 September 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
A Rose Ann King of Drumadreen married a James Alexander McLenaghan of Drumadreen in 1905, her father was cited as Daniel Simpson. These have to be potential candidates in 1901, despite the age variance for her:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Gelvin/Drumadreen/1524367/

Age looks a bit better by 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Gelvin/Drumadreen/903893/

So I'm back to wondering, was there another daughter Elizabeth to Daniel Simpson (relatively uncommon name for time and location) and Anne King?

Offline lzbth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 September 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your time and this information I'm very grateful for the assistance, and it's given me another avenue to explore. Liz