Author Topic: Henry Jones baptism in Llanartheny about 1810  (Read 25827 times)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jones baptism in Llanartheny about 1810
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 September 15 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger
Yes I am sure of the Mary Davies (wife) because I got the birth cert of Daniel b Llannon 25/11/1840 with mother Mary Jones formerly Davies, to confirm it. Henry is given as father, Blacksmith, of Penyrheol  Llannon.
Your Wern info is very helpful - I've now looked thro all the hamlets in llanartheny and yes, you must be right about David the son being the farmer in Wern in Llanlluan, Llanartheny. So surprisingly there were two Werns in Llanartheny the other being in Myddfey! I'll forget about the other Wern connection - I agree Emiah is a strong clue and the Wernfach David was not born in the right place.
So now there is a very sensible history of David (1782) and son David (1830) being farmers in llanartheny thro to 1891 at least, together with lots of confirming evidence for their children.
The maddening thing is there is no definite link for Henry being an earlier son of David (1782).
David was 60 and wife Mary 48 (B.abt 1793) at the 41 census and Emiah was born in 1828 so it is quite possible they had earlier children who left home before the 1841 census when Emiah was 12. It would help if we could find a marriage between David Jones and a Mary in abt 1810 (just in time for Henry's birth with Mary abt 17. (of course David could have had an earlier marriage which would confuse things).
I'm impressed with the will information and wonder how you obtain that? The John Jones connection looks very possible but how to confirm? Does the will info give clues about the farm or does it just deal with money?
I'm now going to follow Pejic's suggestion and look in the environs for Henry's possible birth
I really appreciate the help you are both giving - it has made me feel the answer is tantalisingly close!
regards Ian
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 September 15 08:29 BST (UK) »
Here is the link to find wills.Generally "less is more".A single name or a whole word part of an address,under township,will yield lots to wade through,but better than trying total accuracy and getting nothing through minor error.You can search on a single category alone.

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?skin=profeb&lng=en

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 September 15 09:00 BST (UK) »
Given David's birth(1782?),here is a list to consider.With marriage probably being in the bride's parish it is more difficult.Perhaps Mary Hugh Llannon 1807 might be worth investigating(if possible?)

http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/search_queries/55f13700791e3bba8e0005a0?page_number=0#55109709e93790f8ad734056

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 September 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
I have a more immediate line that is worth investigating.I made previous reference to an 1854 will of David Jones of Parkydaunaw in which he refers to his son Henry and granddaughter Mary.I have found the property in 1861 occupied by Henry Daniels and his wife Mary.There is an 1855 marriage of Henry Daniels to (probably) Mary Jones.In the 1861 census Mary Daniels is given as born 1829,the right age for your Henry's daughter.If the marriage certificate gave her father as Henry Jones,blacksmith...........

Regards
Roger

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 September 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
Slightly off the wall suggestion: sent by PM as it refers to a living person

Have you tried googling Jones + Llanarthe + 1800-1850   There seem to be some interesting hits

Also: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/cmn/llanarthey has some useful links

It is said that Carmarthen record office has an 1821 list of Llanarthne householders.
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 September 15 11:36 BST (UK) »
marriage 9 Jan 1855 in Llanarthney parish church of Henry Daniel aged 22 & Mary Jones 24, his address Abbey, father John Daniel, a publican, her address Parkydaunaw, father Henry Jones, a smith. he signed, she marked, witnesses John Daniel & Daniel Daniel.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 September 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
Henry Daniel was baptised 15 Oct 1833 In Llanarthney son of John, farmer, and Anne, address Abbey.
He was buried 23 July 1870 aged 37 address Parcydaunaw.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 September 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
So it seems we have the right family,but despite the extra clues in the will re brothers Thomas,David(at Cae(r)Cwm),given born 1817 in 1851 census) and Daniel,I still can't find a baptism set(surname Jones?,John?,David?),that matches at the moment.This makes speculation on a marriage difficult.

Regards
Roger

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 September 15 20:42 BST (UK) »
Have just woken up to helpful series of messages and will start to work thro them
Most immediate is Mary Hugh marriage with David in Llannon 2 Oct  1807
Caught my eye because there are two trees on Ancestry  which have a MARY Hough marrying a David Jones in abt 1808 with two sons David b.abt 1808 and Henry abt 1810. This must be a misspell Haugh for Hugh?  Unfortunately there are no sources but there is a detailed tree for the David.
I have messaged the two tree owners to ask for their sources and any other info on Henry.
With Llannon next to Llanartheny it could all make sense - just need that birth info for Henry in Llannon perhaps?
Will follow up Henry daughter lead as well
Thanks a million for this help
Ian
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones