Author Topic: A Rose by any other name, Charles Rose R.N and Mrs Rose  (Read 5102 times)

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
Re: A Rose by any other name, Charles Rose R.N and Mrs Rose
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Ambly - thank you :) and excellent that you found the family on the census.

Vatersay - you're welcome :) I have been researching the "Annie Jane" but I am not finding
anything about the build or where. And....327 people to find....yikes ;D ;D

Cheers,
DB

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 September 15 06:54 BST (UK) »
Also the ship Annie Jane can I find out which shipyard she was built in are there any records? She was built in a Quebec yard in 1853 and was wrecked on her maiden voyage.

If I've read the biography correctly,she was built at the Anse au Foulon shipyard, near Quebec City:
http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/dinning_henry_11E.html

You may have already read the Trove newspaper article about it; if not, it's worth a look.  It refers to Rose as Captain Rose, a passenger.  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5269670

Good luck in your endeavor!

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 September 15 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that, I had seen that page and I missed the Annie Jane on the list, I have so much to read so I am just scanning, so that's a lesson to me. Slow down.
So thanks again for taking an interest, I am grateful to get that information of where the ship was built. As for the Rose's I have their names and family , what I am puzzled by is if Lieutenant Rose was a sea Captain, why did he put his occupation down in the 1852 census as farmer?

Regards Allan

Offline Inge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 December 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Could this be the Charles Rose named by his uncle, commander James Rose, RN, as an heir in his will,
available from the British National Archives. James Rose states that Charles, son of his brother Alexander Rose, was a lieutenant RN and is in Canada. The will dates from 1838, with an update increasing the sum to be inherited by Charles, in 1840. James Rose is from Nairn Scotland, I have not found his brother Alexander, but the entries so far suggests this Charles could be the same who later drowned.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 December 15 23:23 GMT (UK) »
DB the clip from Gentleman's magazine which I had never heard of not only gives me her name but also clears up the mystery of who Mr Cattley was, a 13 year old travelling over to Canada who appears to be on his own?

If you go back to your first post with the link to cabin casualties/survivors and re-read the casualty list you will see that young Cattley was put into the care of Francois Cornu by his father.  Cornu was amongst the survivors.

Just read one of the first accounts of this from the Glasgow Herald dated 14 October 1853.  The initial voyage of the Annie Jane (not counting the passage from Quebec to Liverpool for fittings) had to be one of the most horrendous voyages ever with gales, loss of masts, turning backs and passenger revolts.  Make a good movie.

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that both of you
Inge I think that is the right Charles Rose, in the Canadian Census he is down as Scottish. So looks like a Royal Navy career was a family tradition.
Manawakian this is a bit of a chicken and an egg situation, I got the info here about the young Mr Catterly, found another French article saying that a young man was put into the care of Mr Cornu.
Then I added that to the Anniejane.net website which is a work in progress, growing as I discover new information.
You are right though it is a great story.

Regards Allan

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a Lt Charles Rose who passed for Lieutenant in 1815 on the 1852 Navy List, but who is missing from the 1854 List. In which case he has an entry in O'Byrne's Naval Biography of 1849, this contains no family information, but does have details of his naval career.

Martin

Offline Inge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 21:07 GMT (UK) »
This is very likely the Charles Rose I was talking about. He was promoted in 1815, but I didn't find his name via the British National Archives, so thanks for this new information. He is listed in Parliamentary Papers, House of Commons and Command, volume 31 as having been granted land (105  acres) in Canada, township of Upton (in 1837) for services in navy by authority from the Admiralty. He had two children, Elizabeth (b. 1831) and Hugh Ebenezer (1833) born in Devonport who would have been young adults by the time their parents tragically drowned in the shipwreck.

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 January 16 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Allan

This is very likely the Charles Rose I was talking about. ...having been granted land (105  acres) in Canada, township of Upton (in 1837) ...

The land grant given to Lieutenant Rose was for Township of Acton, not Township of Upton as given in the Parliamentary Papers. It is a clerical entry error in the Parliamentary Papers.:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01guk/ 

You can access Lieutenant C. Rose's 1837 land grant document from National Library & Archives Canada website  –  in the Township of Acton, Lot 25 & 32 of 200 Arpents being about 400 acres :
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gul/

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby