Author Topic: Downton mystery....  (Read 4574 times)

Offline mshergold

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Downton mystery....
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 23:22 BST (UK) »
cheers rosie and isobel..........    agreed with all excepting the Fulford marriage but in the big picture that goes onto another branch.

Unfortunately I cannot find a complete pr transcript of the village and the 17 year Mary Shergold mentioned on the "King William" is also a mystery along with the marryin structures for all the Shergold marriages. Burials for the village seem to be also hidden, which I noticed not only for the Raleigh family but my work.

I wouldnt be surprised a Shergold was caught stealing , especially in Downton, as since in the 1830s [Dirty 30s] the village suffered immensely with cholera, plagues, failed crops and the like.
Funnily enough , I am researching another crime in Downton at the moment as well which was "breaking his Mill Bank", the latter being owned by a descendant of Sir Walter Raleigh where in 1694 a John Shergold was mentioned, but our "Dirty 30s" machine breakers came from Great Wishford and Stapleford.

the subsequent list of Downton Shergolds are distantly related to the post target but have taken them on board just in case they missing from RS database.

thanks for replies

Offline lulubird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 October 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It's possible that your Mary Ann Shergold who emigrated to Canada may have been the daughter of William and Martha Shergold.  She was baptised in Downton on 13 Feb 1820.

I have the pre-1837 transcripts for Downton but Shergold isn't that prominent a family there.  Most in the district seem to come from Wilton and Great Wishford.  Is your Benjamin Shergold possibly the one baptised in Great Wishford on 05 Jun 1786 to Rolland/Rollance Shergold and his wife Sarah?  Said Rolland married Sarah Goal of South Newton in Great Wishford on 27 Apr 1786.  They also had a daughter Sarah baptised in Great Wishford on 25 Nov 1787.

One more thing, the 1841 census for Benjamin and his family seems to have a lady called Sarah Bown or Brown living in part of their home, not Jacob Shergold,I think.  There is a family living next door also called Bown so she may be an elderly relative of their's.

Regards,

Linda

Offline Dawnskinner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 February 17 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my name is Dawn Shergold. I am a direct descendant from Henry Shergold 1720 who married Elizabeth Butt. Henry was my 6x great grandfather. His son John I found in portsea which I think was the beginning of my family starting there. I have the direct tree back from Henry from Downton to present day.