Author Topic: Sarah Matilda Pick/Cooper ? Harry's mother  (Read 2211 times)

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Sarah Matilda Pick/Cooper ? Harry's mother
« on: Tuesday 08 September 15 21:28 BST (UK) »
Am just slowly working through this after something I found last night and would welcome any thoughts or help whilst I look. Way back I found Martha Powell marrying a Harry Cooper in Edinburgh 1879, a few mis-spellings and whilst I know about Martha, John born c 1848 is a bit of a puzzle. His mother is Sarah Cooper was Pick according to his marriage certificate and last night I found

Massachusetts Deaths
Name    Sarah Matilda Cooper
Event Type    Death
Event Date    27 Apr 1909
Event Place    Montello,,Massachusetts
Gender    Female
Age    80
Marital Status    Widowed
Birth Date    1829
Birthplace    Leicester, England
Birth Year (Estimated)    1829
Father's Name    William Pick
Mother's Name    Mary Hodges
Spouse's Name    John Cooper

Leicester, St. Margaret   10-Aug   1817   Banns   
William   Pick   OTP      Bach      
Mary   Hodges   OTP      Spin

As John and Martha were also born in Leicester and tying in with mother's maiden name, surely I thought I must be on the right lines. Just a bit puzzled with marriage and census returns and of course John and and son Harry.

Harry marries Martha and has a son in Leicester and then one in Glasgow. The son born in Glasgow is John William as is the informant on the death cert 1909 but have not worked out who he is. Martha once back in Leicester 1891 is as widowed so I don't have John on an English census as they are in Scotland for 1881 and he is as Harry.

For Martha
1891 Census  RG12/ 2531 Folio 155 Pg 22
1901 Census RG13/ 2990 Folio 51 Pg 1

I don't think Harry died in Scotland, have spent credits looking but could have missed him and then I began to wonder after finding Sarah Pick/Cooper, if I could find Harry as her son. I thought best to backtrack as I never thought I would find him until last night threw up a maiden name; think I have them

1841 as Peck HO107/605/10/14/20

1851 HO107/2089/398/20
John and Sarah Cooper children Henry 2 and new born William

???marriage, ???them

so 1861 came up as a possible with the Goddards RG09/2288/19/32
Sarah    Cooper    Sister In Law    Widow 30    
Sarah    Cooper    Niece 11    
Thomas    Cooper    Nephew     8    

1854   2      15-Apr   St Margaret
BROUGHTON   Emma
GODDARD    Edward   

1853      01-Feb    All Saints   
PICK   Sarah
BROUGHTON   Charles

1871 RG10/3288/35/11
Sarah with her mother as Sarah Cooper Mar

and just when I think I am getting to grips, the other marriage which should be her looking at 1841

Entry No.86,  NOV 25, 1849, after Banns
JOHN BEAUMONT, full age, bach. FWK, of ST. JOHN St, father's name & occupation not given
SARAH PICK, full age, sp. of CHURCH GATE, d. of WILLIAM PICK, SAWYER
Wits: JOSEPH COOPER, ALICE HUTCHINSON

I am sure she is still in Leicester 1901 but have not found a passenger list.

Phew...I was hoping ultimately to find Harry's death and got caught up in possible parents, any ideas ???

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Matilda Pick/Cooper ? Harry's mother
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 15 23:29 BST (UK) »
You mention Leicester and Edinburgh - why did they move between these 2 places?

Sorry but I find your explanation very confusing, e.g 'so I don't have John on an English census as they are in Scotland for 1881 and he is as Harry.'

Have you got marriage and birth and death certificates to support your ideas?

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 15 11:18 BST (UK) »
Martha is from Leicester, have everything backed up as well as finding her in Scotland getting married but have no idea about Harry or how the family came to be in Scotland. Had never thought I could track Harry until the Sarah Pick death in America and she happened to be from Leicester. I am wondering if she was Harry's mother.

So I have John Cooper and Sarah Pick from Harry's marriage in Edinburgh as parents and I know Martha's are right as I have worked extensively on the Powell surname which is her maiden name. 1881 is the only census I have for Harry and he is in Scotland with Martha and 2 children, other than that, have Martha before and after marriage and by 1891 she is widowed and back in Leicester.

I always wondered about Marth'a move and now wonder if her hubby to be was from Leicester :)

Apologies too as per the quote, don't have Harry on an English census; should not have written John! So it's Harry I am a little puzzled over after finding SarahPick/Cooper death cert and the possible census returns in Leicester.
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 16 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hey Willseyrly
It's DAnone
I have made my self a member of the phillimores site my mums cousion is glenis lee she lives in Leicester near wigstone her gran was Sarah Pryor born 1872 barkby father John Pryor mother Jane Pryor ( hartshorn)
Her relative was George Pryor he married  Mary pick  great Dalby  25th of dec 1788
Steve

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 16 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Danone

Have not ultimately connected Harry to parents as I only have him in Scotland and when he married. It was looking at his parents names that got me back to a Sarah Pick/Cooper in Leicester which seemed too much of a coincidence but have not been able to gather enough info yet to be sure.
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 February 16 19:59 GMT (UK) »
My mum is Linda Woolman ( cooper ) born 1941 markfield Leicester her gran was also Sarah Pryor her husband was John William deacon he was born in checketts road Leicester he married Sarah in 1904 he whent to war in the the Leicestershire regiment he whent to Egypt as Sargent and driver he had to come out because of a fall he had as a chimney sweep and did some damage to his knee .my mums other cousion is Jane Goddard ( cooper) they live round the other side of bradgate park Switherland she was born ashby road markfield mother margreat cooper father Albert cooper  Jane married a John Goddard who was born down here in markfield field lane Newtown linford his mother was Philips Goddard she since passedaway  he has a brother Peter Goddard who lives in Thornton Leicestershire.
Steve

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 February 16 20:09 GMT (UK) »
On my mothers side she had a John cooper son of Charles and Elizabeth cooper ( geary) they whent to live in Leicester Belgrave road mowacer hill John was born 1836 Stoke heys farm ratby lane he married a Martha kirby March 1870 ,1871 census they lived horse pool lane markfield.
Steve

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 February 16 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth geary born 1810 Stanton under bardon father John geary mother Alice geary ( frost ) father William frost he was a steward at bradgate house for lady Jane grey family
Steve
There's a book called breakfast at bradgate written by a David Ramsey all the info is in there also mums family there is a website on line name is frost and gilchrist and related families so any one can look at it

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hey Willsey
Have put a list of the pick family on the other one for you or any of the people who are researching that name  that I found on the phillimores .
Danone