Author Topic: Margaret Vaughan of Courtfield; Which source to trust?  (Read 3407 times)

Offline cusdae

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Vaughan of Courtfield; Which source to trust?
« on: Tuesday 08 September 15 22:55 BST (UK) »
I am researching Margaret Vaughan of Courtfield (abt 1575-1655), She married William Bridges (Brydges) of Upleadon. The Vaughan pedigree is listed in Burke's Commoners:

"He m. Margaret, daughter of John Vaughan, esq. of Courtfield, in Monmouthshire, descended through the Vaughans of Tretower, Clyro, &c. from Sir Roger Vaughan, who married Gwladis,t daughter of Sir David Gam, and was slain with that distinguished warrior at Azincourt. Margaret Brydges,after the death of her husband, removed to Larport's Court, Mordiford, Herefordshire,
where she died, and in the church there is a monument, with her effigy in a kneeling
posture, and the following epitaph :
Here lyeth ye body of Margaret, ye daughter of .... (sic) Vaughan, of Courtfield, in the county of
Monmouth, gent, and the late wife and widow of William Brydges, of Upleadon,..."

Burke's Peerage and Baronetage gives more detail:

"John Vaughan, Esq. of Welsh Bicknor, co. Monmouth, and Clifford Park, co. Hereford, living 1634, m. Anne, dau. of Richard Lyngen, Esq. ; and was father of two daus. (Mary, m. to John, eldest son of Sir William Jones, of Dingestow, co. Monmouth ; and Margaret, m. to William Bridges, of Upleadon, co. Hereford) and of three sons, Richard, his heir; John, called of Raglan, in family deed, 1639 ; and Thomas, in holy orders, ordained 1627."

So Margaret was the daughter of John Vaughan and Anne Lyngen...
However William's memorial in Bosbury church reads ...

"GULIELMI BRYDGES de Upleadon hujus Parochiae Situ Generosi Nec-non THOMAE BRYDGES, Gen Filii natu quarti Gulielmi et Uxoris ejus MARGARETTAE Filiae WILLM VAUGHAN de Court-Field"
"WILLIAM BRYDGES of Upleadon situated in this parish of good family and also THOMAS BRYDGES born the fourth son of WILLIAM and his wife MARGARET daughter of WILLIAM VAUGHAN Esquire of Courtfield in the land of Monmouth"

and her memorial in Mordiford also states 'William' as her father:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3269082

I guess that solid stone (alabaster?) beats Burke. However the temptation with Burke is that he alludes to an illustrious past, including knights at Agincourt!
Is there anywhere I can find confirming evidence, or take the pedigree further back?

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Vaughan of Courtfield; Which source to trust?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 15 20:49 BST (UK) »
There is a tree here.  http://wwtn.history.qmul.ac.uk/ftrees/Vaughan.pdf
That you might like to consider, that implies that John Vaughan was Margaret's brother, not her father, William bridges  will, here

http://www.bosburyhistoryresource.org.uk/legal-documents/1619-will-william-brydges.html

Refers to my loving brother in law John Vaughan.

I would believe monumental inscriptions above Burkes,  but there were a lot of Brydges and Vaughans around.

Mike

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Vaughan of Courtfield; Which source to trust?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 September 19 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Cusdae, I am researching the Vaughan's of Courtfield family tree much later than your posted tree, in the period 1850 to 1925 in order to solve a brickwall on the lineage of my great great grandfather. Do you have such data that we can share? In particular, I am looking at the descendents of Lt. Colonel John Francis Vaughan. Thanks very much, LJ
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex