Author Topic: John Burrows of Bradwell  (Read 1780 times)

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Burrows of Bradwell
« on: Wednesday 09 September 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the family of John Burrows who was buried in Bradwell in 1782 - any help would be much appreciated.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Burrows of Bradwell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
What were the names of his wife and children?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying so quickly.

That is one of the things I'm trying to find out and I know it is probably a lost cause! I am starting from an 1851 census where his son, John, states that he was born in Bradwell by Coggeshall and when I looked on SEAX that was the only record I found for a Burrows - and of course, he could have been baptised anywhere! Family tradition says that his father 'died young' ie the John I am looking for, but I can't find out anything more on any of the family trees that have been floating around since the early 1900s! Asking for help on Rootschat is really my last hope!

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
I have just found a family record - don't know how accurate it is - which says that John Burrow's wife was called Abigail and she died in 1781?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am starting from an 1851 census where his son, John, states that he was born in Bradwell by Coggeshall

The only 1851 entries I can see were born 1820 Bradwell and living in Middlesex or 1809 Coggleshall living in Coggleshall.

Neither can be the son of parents who died 1781 or 1782
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 September 15 17:37 BST (UK) »
An Abigail Burrows was buried 24.6.1781 at Holy Trinity Bradwell juxta Coggleshall but no age is shown

A John Burrows (no age shown) buried at the same church 8.12.1782

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 September 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
Oh wow, thank you - perhaps then the relative in the last century who compiled the family tree wasn't so as wrong as we all thought!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 September 15 18:22 BST (UK) »
Which 1851 entry are you looking at - John b 1820 or John b 1809?

Have you perhaps skipped a generation or 2?

This is on FS and may possibly be the John & Abigail who died 1781/82 but if there is any connection to either of the 1851 entries it's more likely that John & Abigail were either grandparents or even great grandparents

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QJDW-JVL2

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 15 08:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry, it is getting a bit confusing!

These are the facts that I already have and can prove:

1) John Burrows b 1769 d 1853 m Elizabeth Longfield of Cork in 1819. He was a Major in the 57th Regiment of Foot and served under Wellington, severely wounded at the Battle of Nivelle in 1813, he retired on half pay. He only had one son, Rev John Burrows born in 1821, who died unmarried in 1855.
2) Thomas Burrows b 1774 d 1838, my 3x gt grandfather was 'of Mark Lane and Limehouse'. He was a wealthy corn factor and lived in Church Row, Limehouse. His daughter, Sarah, married my gt gt grandfather, Henry Collier and it was their daughter, Sarah 1854-1934 who married John Lecky 1844-1929 (to join up my two queries!)

It was the 1851 census for Major John which showed him as being born in Bradwell, Essex. I know there are two Bradwells, but there didn't seem to be any Burrows that might be relevant in the Bradwell next Sea that I could find.

I then received just a few days ago a couple of family trees that had been compiled by another branch of the Burrows family - cousins that I hadn't known about - and it was those that led me to ask the questions re John of Bradwell and wondering about a possible Longfield/Lecky connection in Ireland.

Hope that's a bit clearer than mud!