Author Topic: What really happened to Ethel M Sach?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
What really happened to Ethel M Sach?
« on: Wednesday 09 September 15 13:35 BST (UK) »
According to family legend, Ethel Mary Sach eloped with "Henry Truelove" to Australia (edit).

It is unclear whether Henry Truelove is a real person's name or a pseudonym for any lover one might run off with.

Her ageing niece would love to know the truth, and to learn what happened to her. I have volunteered to help but I am stuck now, perhaps enthusiasts might assist?

Ethel Mary Sach was born 1873, Reference: Lexden, 4a 350, Q2 1873

On the census in 1881 she is with her parents and siblings in Wormingford aged 8

In 1891 she is a boarder aged 18 (born Wormingford) with the Askew family in Colchester

In 1901 she is a servant in the home of Lady Clayton, in Great Cumberland Place, Marylebone aged 28 (born Wormingford)

She then disappears.

I had a look at the 1911 census for Lady Clayton but she is not with them any more.

I have checked the shipping records and found three.

None of them are her. The ages are wrong and they are all with wider families.
One describes Ethel (or Ettie?) and her husband Mr Sach as “foreigner”
One is a 13 year old girl with family
One is a housewife born in 1928

I have searched for anyone born 1873 in Wormingford, of any name at all, first or last, anywhere on the 1911 census. I found some records but none are her, even with a misspelt name.

I can’t find a marriage, or a death, or a shipping record.

This leaves me to think that she must have changed her surname and possibly played down the Wormingford connection.

I am not sure where else to look. There are at least a dozen records in people’s private family trees but most of them incorrectly think she married David Garrod (see note below), or else don’t know any more about her than we already do.

I have also searched for Henry Truelove travelling with someone else, just in case it was a real name. There are a few travelling alone but none that match at all.

I have had help before from some of the greatest genealogists in the world, on this site, so I hope you can give me some pointers again. Thank you

NB. Despite a number of researchers trying to suggest otherwise, Ethel was not married to David Percy Garrod
Our Ethel was still in service in 1901 as a single woman
His wife Ethel was 23 in 1901, living with him, and they had  been married in 1899 and was living at Woodfield Cottages), Broad Street Green, Heybridge, Maldon

Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What really happened to Ethel M Sach?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 14:18 BST (UK) »
Have you discounted this marriage - Dec 1910 W Ham
Ethel Saich - William Allen

What happened to her sisters?  Any clues there.

When you say eloped was the inference eloped to another country or just eloped with her truelove?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for engaging with me.

There were a few women named Ethel Saich born in Essex so I have thought the marriage of the woman in West Ham in December was one of those. Plus, in another similar record, she has the middle name of Lizzie.

I have checked back to the original enquiry from my friend which says

"As far as she knows her aunt emigrated to Australia and was never heard of again. Her mother told her that her aunt had gone off with 'Henry Truelove'"

Australia then, I wish had remembered that before I started searching....
Baldock, Millward, Harriman, Wilson, Hilton, Fairclough, Hadley, Bedford, Brady, Butler, Watchorn, Marshall, Jutson, Pinfold, Masters, Mottram, Upton, Daffern, Shellswell, Skelding, Wall, Taylor, Scattergood, Ferguson, Innous, Mulley, Hyams

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
I have found Ethel!

Searching specifically for Australian records did the trick.

She is showing as Ethel Mary Truelove with Alfred Henry Truelove, first of all at 8 Smart Street, in Hawthorn, Kooyong 1914 - 1925, he is a waiter and she is a housewife ("home duties")

Then they moved to Canberra, where they are living at various addresses in Braddon from 1928 - 1943 where he has become a club steward.

He died in 1946 and she died in 1955.

They are reported as having held a musical soiree with the famous Madame Jessie James at home in 1929, and as having been members of the Canberra Philharmonic Society.

Pretty good for a servant girl from Essex.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 15 09:40 BST (UK) »
Oh well done am pleased you have found her  :D
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 15 10:58 BST (UK) »
There is a passenger list for the Orvieto leaving London for Australia (Melbourne) on 11 April 1913
Mr A H Truelove & Mrs Truelove (no initials)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 15 11:52 BST (UK) »
Just for info there is a marriage for an Alfred Henry Truelove in Sep 1897 but no Ethel brides!

Mary Jane B Page
Henrietta Hall
Henry William Nichol

Might not be the same chap but then again it might be worth checking him out.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 September 15 11:52 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic Rosie, I have pored over records on many sites but did not find that one.
I have them coming back from Canada in 1912, they mustn't have liked it, but not them going to Australia so this is fab.
Please can you tell me which site you found that on, or a link to the entry.
I do have a subscription to most things so I ought to be able to see it
Thanks again
Very best wishes, Louise

Offline LouiseB31

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Millipede

Yes I worked out yesterday that he married Mary Jane and they had a little boy who then very sadly died as a youngster.
Subsequently, either he left her or she left him (probably the former) and then he eloped with Ethel M who he could never marry, despite her pretending to be his wife, as he had a wife back in England.