Author Topic: BURNE - can anybody help with this  (Read 5430 times)

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
BURNE - can anybody help with this
« on: Tuesday 12 July 05 14:06 BST (UK) »
I know that Elizabeth (Bertha) O'FEE married James Arthur BURNE in Dundee, Scotland and they then emigrated, apparently to Durban.  I have been having a bit of a poke around the NASA site and have found this record

DEPOT     NAB   
SOURCE    MSCE   
TYPE      LEER   
VOLUME_NO 00               
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 549/1949                                                             
PART      1                                                                   
DESCRIPTION       BURNE, JAMES ARTHUR. S/SP BURNE, ELIZABETH.                           
STARTING  19490000                                                             
ENDING    19490000               

I've been looking for something that tells me what type of reord this is and what it means but I can't find anything on the site.  Presumably Type, LEER means something - can anybody help me out with this

Thanks

ec     

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BURNE - can anybody help with this
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 19:01 BST (UK) »
Translated this means!!!
Depot Natal
Source master of the supreme court - ie death notice
type folder
reference etc etc
burne james arthur surving spouse elizabeth Burne.
Died 1949
using these reference numbers you could email the archives but I do not think you will get a reply as they are understaffed. I could apply for the death cert for you but it could take a month or so. this will tell you his children where born where died etc
This is just the reference to the folder to be found in the archives in Pitermaritzburg, which covers Durban ,where i live, as well. There may also be a will attached to the document.
let me know what you want to do.
ruth
Ps There are a few Burnes in Durban - dont know if they are realted though
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

Thanks for getting back to me on this - always confusing when you start on a new area!

Elizabeth (O'FEE)  Burne was, I believe my great grandfathers sister.  The only detail I have is that they emigrated after marriage and the trail goes cold. 

Obviously she will be dead as well - why can't I find an entry for her do you think?

I have no idea of any childrens names etc.

How much would the death cert cost?  I am a bit short of funds at the moment....like us all!

Thanks again

ec

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there death certs are minimal - about 30p!!!! So it is not going to break the bank if you want me to order it for you. This will list the children. Her death notice may not be there if she left no property - i will see what I can dig up.
When were the couple married as I  have found a number of Burnes on a cemetery disc.
Ruth

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 19:26 BST (UK) »
Oh great - I'm sure I can scrape up 30p - not sur how to get it to you though.....How amazingly cheap compared to everywhere else I'm searching!

They were married 1918 in Dundee, Scotland, and as I understand it, departed almost immediately for Durban.  Elizabeth (Bertha) O'FEE was born around 1898 - not sure about James BURNE though.

Thanks very much for helping me

ec

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 19:36 BST (UK) »
I'll order it for you and let you know the details - the Burne deaths I have are all earlier than that. I am sure that one of the Burnes in Durban might have some info - Ill do a phone around tomorrow - there is one up the road from me.
Ruth

Offline ec

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 05 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth

Anything you can find out would be great - I have absolutely nothing beyond the emmigration

Thanks again

ec

Offline pcoups

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 July 05 05:36 BST (UK) »
You can also try getting a copy of the death notice (not a death certificate)from the estae file............you can request 3, free of charge at:  removed  My last request only took about a week to get so that's not too bad. On that you might get info of childrens names etc, address of last residence, etc depending on who was present to supply the information. Usually a wife knows a fair amount about her husband so you'll get more from the DN .........if it was a child or other relative you might very little info on it
You'll need to give them the reference as you've given above.
Good Luck
Lynn

Offline LiseMargolit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 March 16 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth. Just stumbled across your post on the Burnes that emigrated to Durban South Africa. Bertha and James were my grandparents. They had 4 daughters..Eileen, Elizabeth (Betty), Sheila (my mum) and Dalene.