Author Topic: What Determined a Regiment on Enlistment.  (Read 4245 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: What Determined a Regiment on Enlistment.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, just to update the thread, I have got a copy of Alf's supplementary service record from the National Archive  :-X :-X :-X and am in the process of going through it as and when I have the time (Dad's in Hospital so taking my Mother twice daily to visit).

Ken, you were correct, ;) his file does have mention of him enlisting,
Alf enlisted into the Northumberland Fusiliers at Hull, he signed to say he had not been living in his fathers home for over 3 years and put his place of abode down as " ? Ferriby?" I cannot quite make it out, however I do know that the town of North Ferriby is near to Kingston upon Hull in East Yorkshire.

I will add details as I get the time regarding other bits on it.

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 15 October 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again  :)

Just to add a little more, this is Alf's early service history.

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 15 October 15 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank....This is of interest to me as my relative lived in Hull and enlisted with the East Yorkshire Regiment and later was with the Northumberland Fusiliers and died in April 1917 in the 1st battle of Arras and I always wondered why he changed regiments?
North Ferriby is a village on the outskirts of Hull in the East Riding.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 October 15 10:23 GMT (UK) »
From the "Goole Times" 5th July 1918 when Alf's parents place a plea for information regarding his whereabouts, here is a picture of Alf.

Frank.