Author Topic: Matthew Phelan  (Read 2730 times)

Offline johnnyjumpup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew Phelan
« on: Wednesday 09 September 15 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to trace Matthew Phelan who emigrated to the US in 1893, lived with his daughter Maryann Foran and her husband James in Worcester Mass in 1900 census. I cannot find them in Worcester in 1910 but have located a Mathias Phelan, Maryann Foran and James in Providence Rhode Island. I am not sure if this is the same family as ages vary a bit from 1900. Matthew seems to have disappeared from the 1920 census entirely. i cannot locate a death record in Ireland of US. Can anyone help
Thank you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Phelan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 23:50 BST (UK) »
According to the 1900 census, Matthew Phelan was born April 1833 and his daughter Maryann born Jan.1874 in New York-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9B6-JGS

1833 is well before the start of birth registration in Ireland so you would need to search for records in the correct Parish.

Since Maryann seems to have been born in New York but Matthew's entry says he arrived in U.S. in 1897 it may be really difficult to trace the family in Irish records without more details.

The 1910 census you found makes Matthew a bit younger (born c1845) and arriving in U.S. c1866 but it looks very likely-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MP6Y-N47
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi There and Welcome

I'm just wondering why you posted this on the Waterford board ?

Tara

Offline johnnyjumpup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for the replies. The reason I posted on Waterford Board is because Matthew was originally from Waterford. He was baptised in Dunhill/Fenor church in Apr 1833. His father was David and his mother Mary Fitzgerald. He later had a farm in the townland of Lisduggan near Waterford City. He married Bridget Hearne in parish of Trinity Without Waterford City in 1873. They had a daughter Maryanne in 1875 baptised also in this parish. (although she says her birth place is New York I think this is incorrect) She married James Foran in Waterford in 1893. They both emigrated to US shortly afterwards in 1893. I found them on a passenger list in 1893 (James and Maryann Toran!!)
Matthew says his year of emigration was 1897 (I said 1893 in original post by mistake) I cannot find a record of Matthew on the passenger lists. I am not sure if he returned to Ireland or not but cannot find any record of death for him in Ireland or US. He says he is a widower in 1900 US census but I cannot find a death cert for his wife Bridget either.
I would really like to trace him after 1900/1910 All help greatly appreciated

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to find siblings for Mary Anne.
Civil registration began in 1864.
You may get leads if Matthew and Bridget moved within Ireland.
Familysearch.org is worth trying out. Its free.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 September 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
It really helps if you tell us ALL the details you already have at the start.

Extracted birth for Mary Anne Phelan-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FR78-BJ6

It also helps to tell us EXACTLY what you'd like help with at the start.
"I would really like to trace him after 1900/1910"
There's really no point in having this thread on Waterford (or any Irish board) so if you click on 'report to moderator' you can get it moved to the U.S. board where there will be lots of members with lots of U.. reources and ideas.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline johnnyjumpup

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 September 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey for your reply. Yes of course it does make sense to get my post moved to a U.S part of the board. I believe that Matthew did not return to Waterford but died in Rhode Island as this was the last place I can trace him to . He was living in 1910 with his daughter and her husband.
His daughter and her husband James were still living in providence Rhode Island in 1940 according to U.S. census.
Where do I find the link report to moderator?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 September 15 17:39 BST (UK) »
The 1901 Worcester city directory has a Matthias Phelan boarding at 566 Pleasant, which is a different address but same street that he was on in the 1900 census.  In that same directory, James Foran was a grocer at 10 Millbury and his home was 566 Pleasant.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 September 15 17:44 BST (UK) »
There is a Rhode Island death for Mathias Phelan on 20 Jul. 1918.  He was reported to be 85 years old and his kin were listed as David Phelan and Mary Phelan.