Author Topic: Longfields and Leckys  (Read 1438 times)

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Longfields and Leckys
« on: Thursday 10 September 15 08:22 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there were any connections between these two families? I have an Elizabeth Longfield born about 1789 in Cork. A little later in my tree I have a John Lecky born in Cork in 1844 and as I am having difficulty tracing both of them back I wondered if there might be a connection.
Thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Longfields and Leckys
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 15 17:49 BST (UK) »
Why do you think there could be a connection?  Different names and a 55yr age gap?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 15 18:09 BST (UK) »
Yes there is - and they are two different problems - but it's been suggested that perhaps the Burrows family were also in Cork - certainly they are listed as Freemen. John Burrows married an Elizabeth Longfield in abt 1819 in London and she was b about 1789 in 'Ireland' (she managed to avoid specifying where in every other census!) and she may be of Cork. Then the Lecky family in the person of John Lecky born in Cork in 1844 appears out of the blue and marries my gt-gt aunt Sarah Collier born in Cambridgeshire.

It just occurred to me that in searching for the Burrows antecedents that perhaps I should consider the possibility that these various Irish elements might have something in common? What do you think - is it just too much of a coincidence or could it be the reason why no one who has researched the family tree over the past 80 years has been able to find out where the Burrows family originated?

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 15 18:12 BST (UK) »
Just found something else - there is a tiny note on this tree that says that the family inherited Elizabeth's lands and property in Cork! Must get my eyes tested!

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 15 18:38 BST (UK) »
Just found something else - there is a tiny note on this tree that says that the family inherited Elizabeth's lands and property in Cork! Must get my eyes tested!
Longfield family held many estates in Co Cork one being in Castlemary, Cloyne, Co Cork which I am familiar with. Have a look at www.landedestates.nuigalway.ie/Landed Estates
which gives a very comprehensive history of all the estates of the Longfields. If you google Cynthia Longfield Castlemary Cloyne co cork you will find numerous articles

Offline collier19

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 15 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I'll do that now.