Author Topic: Help needed! Manchester 1867 policeman shooting!!!  (Read 14775 times)

Offline KeithS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed! Manchester 1867 policeman shooting!!!
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 July 05 16:09 BST (UK) »
There is a bridge still at the site but it's not the arched one in the picture. It's been replaced by the standard wrought iron plate and girder . believe there's a plaque nearby but never seen it. Keith
Bouncing Emails

SALES (STS, CSH); ASTLES (STS); COLLIER (CSH); CHALLENER (LAN, WWK, LON); NOKES (WWK, LON); LOCKLEY (LAN), EVANS (POW, SLP); BURGESS (LAN)

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 July 05 16:59 BST (UK) »
Here we go folks with an update on what I've managed to find (thought you all might like to know as this as caught all our imaginations!)
 Two songs sprung from this event- "God save Ireland"- which you can actually listen to on the following link-
www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/troubles/music/trad-shtml 
and "Smashing of the van" (Manchester version no less! You can see the lyrics at http://celtic-lyrics.com/lyrics/579 (apparently Chumbawumba did a cover of it on their "Rebel Songs" Album!!!
I found another copy of Kens print at -www.movinghere.org.uk/search/catalogue.asp?sequence=10&resourcetypeID=2&recordID=57515 (you can blow it up to A4 & yes we have!)

From the articles in the Times newspaper that Prue has very kindly been sending me & which I've now managed to access there is the following description:-
" When the van left the city it had to proceed over Ardwick Green & along Hyde Road, a fine open street leading to the gaol & nearly a mile in length.........
The van had proceeded about a half a mile up this road when, on passing under the viaduct which carries the London & North Western Railway across,with an open field on the right, a volley of shots were fired at it"
An open field around there? Must've been a long time ago!!!!!

I had a look on the 1901 census for a Hannah Kempster (obviously not the one we are looking for but...could be her mum) living at 15 Benson Street, GORTON (which is where some of his family are from) Hannah Kempster age 3- that search will continue............
I also worked my way back last night & found that Charles father (William Brett- name kindly provided by Ken from his cemetary crawl!) also had two other sons James christened 14 Dec 1817 in Macclesfield & William ch. 19 Sept 1819 also in Macc- both at Christ church & Ellen born circa 1830 on the 1861 census with both her parents still in Macclesfield. Pleased to say that William's occupation was a (mad!) hatter & I've always said that Tony is as mad as a hatter!!!
Now I'm presuming that there must be a number of other little Bretts between William born 1819 & Ellen (1830) but can't find any so maybe she was somewhat of a (happy?) accident!
At this point I'll just say that the fact that we are all in Scotland is of no relevance as we all came up here 3+ years ago- Tony's a Manc, hubby Andi is a Manc & me a good old Yorkshire lass (Tonys' family backwards,forwards & sideways have always been based in the manchester area).
What I do know is that Charles junior joined the Grenadier Guards & was based in Windsor in 1871 census- after that I can't trace him so he could have popped his clogs or have been based abroard with the guards?

I guess I'd better check the pennies & have a look at 1837- for now I'll away but before I go can I just ask is anyone else just the teensiest,weensiest bit jealous- I mean a rellie with 2 songs, numerous newspaper articles, discussed in parliament & even an engraving of the minutes before his death!!!??? noone did that for my molecatcher, N. Yorks in 1851!!!
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zebedee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 July 05 17:18 BST (UK) »
Yes! I am very jealous but revelling in reading about your  friend's famous ancestor! One day I'll trace someone more famous than the farmers and servants in my family!!

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 July 05 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi KeithS

You were spot on with the plaque. This is the bridge "as you can tell not original bridge" that the killing took place

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 July 05 09:44 BST (UK) »
OK so now this is getting silly, there's just so much information out there!

I've been looking at Manchester Central library site- on the photographic archive just search for Sergeant Brett & also Fenians and up pop tons of engravings & photo's- the back of the van after the attack,Charles funeral, pictures of charles, the trials etc.etc.etc even a photo of Brett Street in Wythenshawe formerley named Brown street I'll have to check that out!!
Here's a link for one of the pictures - I can't remember which one.  http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/Display.php?irn=6210&QueryPage=%2FAdvQuery.php
As far as Tonys family history goes I've now managed (after mucho searching!) to find that Hannah Kempster married Ernest Brett in Manchester in the April/May/June quarter of 1940 vol 8d page 232 . Have found his birth (I think!) Born Chorlton Jan/Feb/March 1919 mothers maiden name Hume vol 8e (or possibly c or a- although I'm pretty sure it's an e with a problem!) page 884, I tried searching for the marriage of Brett/ Hume & managed to cover the whole of 1914 (my thinking being the rush of marriages when ww1 started & not finding any other Bretts born between Ernest in 1919 & as far up as Oct/Nov/Dec 1925 so possibly he was their youngest?)- then ran out of bleedin' credits.....ah well that will have to wait for another day but only a short period of 18 years & I'm back at 1901!!
TTFN
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 06 October 05 14:22 BST (UK) »
Finally got round to completing the quest ... St Ann's Church, St Ann's Sq, Manchester & St Barnabas, Ancoats

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 06 October 05 14:25 BST (UK) »
St barnabas, Hayward Street, Ancoats Picture taken in 1962, it has since been demolished.

Its good to finish a task  ;D

Regards
Ken

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 October 05 14:28 BST (UK) »

Oh wow Ken!!

That is so cool of you! - Nice job! - I know if it was me - I'd be thrilled!!

Annie  ;)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 06 October 05 14:57 BST (UK) »
Did not like the sockets, plugs & stickers so removed them. Forgot to mention this plaque is located in the back room of the church and not in the church area itself.

The sockets were for the kettle, sad place for the plaque.

If you get to Manchester go see this church its beautiful, the guy that showed me the plaque said, they had spent many many pounds and many months refurbishing the church and was opened for about a month before the IRA bombing of Manchester. The bomb blew out all the stain glass in the upper gallery and they had to start from scratch again, now the upper gallery has only plain glass (shame)

Regards
Ken