Author Topic: Grave inscription help requested  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Grave inscription help requested
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 September 15 08:30 BST (UK) »

I have all the information, says Alexander Reid McKay born Feb 7, 1923, 43 Albert Street, Glasgow, Mother Margaret McKay, Tea Room Waitress. No father listed.

Hi Katie,

Hopefully someone will be able to check the voters roll for that time to find out if Margaret lived with her parent's.

This would enable you to find their marriage to get an approx. birth yr for Margaret & you could search for a later marriage.

All just a help to try & trace her  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 September 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
Does your father recall the name of the area in Perth where the Harvey's lived.

Even if it's only a "soundalike" it would help to find them on the voters roll too.

The cinema was in the town centre of Perth. I recall it as being named the Odeon but it may have been something different before my time  ???

If it would help, later I could PM you a list of areas as I have to go out soon.

Does your dad recall the "inches" in Perth. There was a North & a South Inch. The North Inch was along the River Tay which he may recall. This followed on into Tay Street where the main 2 bridges are which cross the river Tay to Bridgend area & to the left would be Scone where the Palace is.

If he could remember any specific landmark near where he lived would maybe help in the search.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Katiebcan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 September 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Mary, for your kind and thoughtful response and very helpful information. I'm hopeful we will eventually be able to figure this out and can only pray that our Dad didn't have as bad a childhood as right now we're left to imagine. Trying to stay positive but it's hard.

I must correct an I accuracy in the information I posted--the address given on my Dad's birth certificate is 73 Albert Street, Glasgow--not 43 as I said! So sorry! 

Offline Katiebcan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 September 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie--thank you for your suggestions. My Dad sadly passed away seven years ago so it is left with us to solve this great mystery. We knew none of this til recently. We have been able to find addresses where they lived in Perth and Inverness and put together a timeline, so that has been a help-and of course we have lots of information about his "adopted" family. It's just this mystery woman, Margaret McKay.

Can anyone tell me in 1928 when a birth was registered, what verification of parents was needed to register the birth. Could his birth mother have actually been Margaret Burke who just told authorities her name was Margaret McKay because she was in fact a single mom? And we know the Burkes didn't live at Albert Street so,if it was Margaret Burke she wasn't living at home when my Dad was born. But she was definitely a tea room waitress--that was the occupation given on her marriage certificate to my grandfather in 1926 in Maryhill.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 September 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
To be honest, in my own opinion, I would not think Margaret was Margaret Burke but I am only guessing that.

My question is.........was it definitely the "mother" Margaret MacKay who was the informant or was it a relation.

The reason I ask is...........I have in my own tree an illegitimate child, registered by his aunt so I'm wondering if whoever done your look-up did notice exactly whether it did say "Mother" for the informant.

Have you managed to trace Margaret MacKay on the voters roll in the area. Did it give an area name in Glasgow with the address e.g. Pollockshields, Glasgow.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 September 15 19:43 BST (UK) »
Katie,

Did you say that you know that your grandmother was in Perth or do you just think she was.

The reason I was asking about areas is because...if she died in Perth City she would most likely have been buried at Wellshill Cemetery.

Cleish is a good way from Perth so it did make me wonder.

Have you looked on SP for a birth of (EDIT)Mary Margaret in the area where your dad was born with an age between 16 - 20 maybe for her giving birth although that is just a guess too?

I hope someone can look at the poor relief info. for you to get things more in perspective.

Annie

Offline Katiebcan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 September 15 23:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Annie; we'll take a look at the poor relief info that is available. We have information on my "adopted" Grandmother--it is our Dad's birth mother we know nothing about except what's on the birth certificate for Dad that shows a Margaret McKay was his Mother; and that her address was 73 Albert Street, Glasgow. The suggestion that she may have been buried in Perth was just based on some info I found on deaths of Margaret McKays whom I guessed at as possibilities because of birth/death dates. Nothing concrete at this point I'm afraid. But thanks for your thoughts. And I put in the wrong birthdate for my dad--he was born in 1923 not 1928. My eagle-eyed sister, who's far better at this than I, spotted that mistake!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 September 15 00:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry,

I have edited my error above.

So a birth for Margaret around 1907 - 1910 but give 2 yrs either side I would say.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 September 15 00:24 BST (UK) »
May need to look at an old map..........

I can only see Albert Drive & Albert Avenue  ???

On SP Margaret MacKay b Glasgow City (all areas) 1907 - 1912 has 48 matches which would cost £0.46 BP for the Indexes.

Such a pity there isn't an area but Calton, Glasgow which is a possibility has 4 matches but they will appear on the 1st list I gave you (more info. to choose from for our £).

Annie