Author Topic: Link: Braunstone Aerodrome  (Read 12742 times)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
  • English conversation tutor in France.
    • View Profile
Link: Braunstone Aerodrome
« on: Thursday 10 September 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
In researching my Grandad Raymond Fisher NELSON, I came across this interesting thread about Braunstone Aerodrome.
In my family it was always said he was a fitter at this aerodrome during the war. But I'm not so sure as Braunstone was a satelite of Desford and used as a landing ground.

I think there is lots of scope for research of this location - which has now been mostly hidden by the present day British Shoe Factory.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Timson - Leics (Enderby & Croft).
Holyland [Name adopted 1863] - Leics (Leicester, Barrow Upon Soar & Rothley).
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)
Briant - Brantôme & Périgueux, Dordogne (France)
Soulette - Saint Pons de Thomières, Hérault (France)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Braunstone Aerodrome
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 September 15 00:03 BST (UK) »
Sadly your link to Braunstone Aerodrome didn't work for me but I have read up on its wartime use and its connection with Desford in the past. Braunstone Aerodrome was a happy play area for me as a kid brought up in a house near Braunstone crossroads (Leicester Forest East) in the 1940s and 50s. It was a great place to explore or to fly kites or play other games and it was walkable from my home.

The road to it is called Ratby Lane and the Great Central Railway line passed underneath the road. On Sundays when I was sent to Sunday School I used to nick cigars from my dad's store and take them under the bridge to smoke - no trains on Sundays. Never did smoke ciggies.

The hill down into Kirby Muxloe was called Blood Hill by the locals and it was a tough climb on a bike.

When I got older the pub across the road from the aerodrome was more of interest to me. "The Airmen's Rest" as I recall. After the M1 was built it was left perching over the motorway and I suspect that it no longer exists as it doesn't show up on Google Maps (and I don't live in Leicestershire any more).

None of the above is relevant to your search of course but you stirred memories of childhood.

Tony

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 September 15 06:31 BST (UK) »
In researching my Grandad Raymond Fisher NELSON, I came across this interesting thread about Braunstone Aerodrome.
In my family it was always said he was a fitter at this aerodrome during the war. But I'm not so sure as Braunstone was a satelite of Desford and used as a landing ground.

I think there is lots of scope for research of this location - which has now been mostly hidden by the present day British Shoe Factory.

This time with the link that works.
Nelson / Fisher - Leics (Leicester, Shepshed, Hathern, Loughborough & Hinckley). Notts. Lowdham. Warks. Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton.
Doolan [Name adopted 1899] / Fisher / Munson / Pettican - Essex (Colchester & Layer de la Haye)

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 15 06:44 BST (UK) »
Sadly your link to Braunstone Aerodrome didn't work for me but I have read up on its wartime use and its connection with Desford in the past. Braunstone Aerodrome was a happy play area for me as a kid brought up in a house near Braunstone crossroads (Leicester Forest East) in the 1940s and 50s. It was a great place to explore or to fly kites or play other games and it was walkable from my home.

The road to it is called Ratby Lane and the Great Central Railway line passed underneath the road. On Sundays when I was sent to Sunday School I used to nick cigars from my dad's store and take them under the bridge to smoke - no trains on Sundays. Never did smoke ciggies.

The hill down into Kirby Muxloe was called Blood Hill by the locals and it was a tough climb on a bike.

When I got older the pub across the road from the aerodrome was more of interest to me. "The Airmen's Rest" as I recall. After the M1 was built it was left perching over the motorway and I suspect that it no longer exists as it doesn't show up on Google Maps (and I don't live in Leicestershire any more).

None of the above is relevant to your search of course but you stirred memories of childhood.

Tony

Hi Tony,

All interesting stuff... I have memories of the area as well, but from the late 70's to the 90's. I spent my early childhood in Hinckley, but we ended up moving to Braunstone when I was 9.
Of course the aerodrome had been swallowed up by an industrial estate by then, although a couple of hangers were still there and used by British Shoe. I used to go up there now and then, as being a closet bus enthusiast, I took a few photos of the workers buses that transported BSC staff.

I also remember the Airmans Rest, for its themed discos and I think I saw in the New Year a couple of times there too. It was demolished some years ago and the whole area is now festooned with industrial units. I left the UK in 1997 and hadn't been down Ratby Lane for around 10 years or so, when on my last visit last year, we went down there. It has very much changed.

As a kid, me and a friend walked from Braunstone to Ratby and back - because I wanted to visit the Astill & Jordan bus depot there. Blood hill was indeed, steep, coming back!

Thanks for your memories. It helps me to picture what the area was like before I came along.

With my Dad mentioning years ago (he passed away 25 years ago) that my Grandad was at the aerodrome in WW2 I have decided to investigate further - but I haven't a clue where to look. It was also mentioned that he worked for Armstrong-Whitworth then Auster aircraft. So he was very much an aircraft person.
I recently found out that he worked as an "Aircraft Radio Engineer" - which fits in, as he was a Radio Amateur as well.

John.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 September 15 23:17 BST (UK) »
Great link. Loved the pictures of its original use but well before my time in the 1940s and 50s.

Tony

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 September 15 23:23 BST (UK) »
No there is sadly no more Airmens Rest... We used to go there from the AEI New Parks sometimes.... where I worked once upon a time...

I recognise most of those places Tony  V... but we have noticed 'almost' connections before :) 

xin

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 September 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
We have indeed Xin. I used to go to work in Leicester on the Midland Red bus past AEI.

Tony

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 00:06 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

'parallel lives' 

xin (off now its very late or early :) )

xin

Offline Thooperfly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 07:40 BST (UK) »
Great link. Loved the pictures of its original use but well before my time in the 1940s and 50s.

Tony

You're welcome Tony. I lived in Braunstone from 1979 until 1997, so the site has always been of interest to me.

John.