Author Topic: Minnesota...Catherine Person Baldwin after 1875  (Read 1103 times)

Offline artemis.sleeps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Minnesota...Catherine Person Baldwin after 1875
« on: Friday 11 September 15 01:30 BST (UK) »
Catherine Person (Pearson) Baldwin born in either New Hampshire 14 Dec 1812 or Vermont about 1810

Companion/common law wife of
Abel Baldwin (married to Polly King in Essex, New York)
BIRTH 20 JUL 1791 • Langdon, Sullivan, New Hampshire, USA
DEATH 15 AUG 1869 • Forestville, Fillmore County, Minnesota, USA

I located her last in Forestville, MN in 1875 approx. six years after Abel passed away.
Have not been able to locate her with any of her children or on her own after 1875 which is when she would have received her final payout from Abel's estate as stated in his will. I do not believe Abel married Catherine even though she use the name Baldwin at times. I would love it if someone could help me find Catherine as she is most probably my 3rd great grandmother.
Ann

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Minnesota...Catherine Person Baldwin after 1875
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 15 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat

Out of all those family tree's on the "A" site only 1 mention's a death of 19 June 1875 without any source  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline artemis.sleeps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 15 01:55 BST (UK) »
Sandra, Thanks for that, I had not seen that tree, but will look for it and see if the owner of the "A" tree might have a suggestion. I have Catherine last on 1 May 1875 MN Census as head of household living with two of her adult children and near other members of her extended family. I have been searching for her through her children but have not had much luck yet with that tactic. Ann

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 September 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 September 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted Duff Cemetery to see who is buried in the grave or maybe the one next to it ?

Or how about Fillmore County - History Center & Genealogy Library in Fountain, Minnesota
"Our genealogy library focuses on vital records relating to the earliest of Fillmore County’s dearly departed 1857-1944.  Our vast collection includes obituaries and gravestone records"

Remote requests for research assistance may originate with a phone call, email or letter.  In these instances, staff will provide quick lookups in our digital indexes (less than 15 minutes) at no charge.

https://fillmorecountyhistory.wordpress.com/property-records/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline artemis.sleeps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 October 15 07:20 BST (UK) »
The Find a Grave entry is not correct (my own fault because my whole family was under the impression Polly Baldwin was our matriarch-I have suggested an update) but when I uncovered a will at the Fillmore County History Center in July we realized that Catherine Person (formerly listed a the family servant) was the mother of Abel's youngest 5 children, including my 2nd great grandfather, Henry Clay Baldwin. I will get in touch with the Fillmore County History Center and see if they can find out what happened to her. Some of her children relocated to Nebraska but I have been unable to find her or youngest son, Zac after 1875.
Abel's wife Polly never came west from NY to Minnesota (something that had earlier family genealogists wondering) and lived to be 98, thus Abel and Catherine were never married.

Offline artemis.sleeps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 October 15 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the suggestions and leads. As I have only been doing this about 8 months it can be a bit overwhelming but I have always been a good and persistent researcher so I am enjoying this new avenue for my skills and energy immensely! I am realizing that there is still a huge amount of information that must be gathered the old fashioned way (not necessarily easy when I am in Australia and my research is all in the US.