Author Topic: Looking for John Keegan..born Kirkwall circa 1839  (Read 5331 times)

Offline stapler40

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for John Keegan..born Kirkwall circa 1839
« on: Friday 11 September 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
Looking for a John Keegan and his spouse Sarah. I have them living with their two girls, Isabella and Dinah, in Boylestone, Derbyshire, England on the 1871 census. Most interested in Spouses maiden name and date and location of marriage. The census shows Sarah as being born in Church Broughton (never heard of it). Any help would be appreciated.

Stapler40

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for John Keegan..born Kirkwall circa 1839
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
Church Broughton is a village in Derbyshire, so you might best look for her there.  My guess is they married in Derbyshire.  Try looking for John there in the 1851 Census.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for John Keegan..born Kirkwall circa 1839
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 September 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
From a quick check on FreeBMD a John Keegan married either Sarah Walker or Sarah Jane Bradbury in the Derby registration district, marriage registered  in the 4th quarter of 1858, vol 7b page 696. (see http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/derby.html for description of the district). Going to the 1841 census, there is a one year old Sarah Walker in Church Broughton.

Keegan is most definitely not an Orkney surname. Have you tried the 1841 census for John and parents?