Author Topic: Farms in Tregaron  (Read 3847 times)

Offline alwills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Farms in Tregaron
« on: Friday 11 September 15 19:48 BST (UK) »
During my researches into my family history a few farms in Tregaron keep popping up.

In particular:

Fforest/Forest - My GGGG-grandfather Nathaniel Jones and his wife Margaret owned/lived here from 1841 (the earliest at which I can confirm them there so far) until Nathaniel's death in 1880(?). Their 11 (tbc) children were born here, including Evan.

Argoed Fach - My GGG-grandfather Evan Jones, worked/lived there with his wife Mary Jones sometime around 1875 - 1877 (that I have confirmed so far). Two of their three children were definitely born there, including my GG-grandfather, Nathaniel.

Pencefn - Mary Jones nee Jones, Evan Jones wife, was living here at the time of their marriage in 1874.

I believe Pencefn and Argoed Fach were neighbouring farms.

My question is, does any have any information on these farms, do they still exist, the history of each, etc?

Thanks
Tregaron - Jones (1700s -  )
Llanelli (Lanelly) - Parker, Williams, Rees, Jones (1800s - )
Benson (Bensington) - Saunders, Lane (1800s)
Dorking - Drayton (late 1800s)
Lambeth - Powers (mid 1800s)

Parkhurst prison officers 1898 - 1899

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Farms in Tregaron
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
All three are neighbouring farms as per the map below(properties "south" of Tregaron).

http://maps.nls.uk/view/101608351

Regards
Roger

Offline alwills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
Brilliant thank you, Roger  :)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 15 22:26 BST (UK) »
I can find a few refeences to Argoed Fach in the Welsh Newspapers online archive - most relate to families called Walters , Richards and Davies - a few Jones items (see below). an auction for Argoed in 1906 says the property includes a cottage called Argoed Fach or Bank

The Aberystwith Observer 11th April 1885
ACCIDENT. As a poor widow named Mary Jones, Argoed-fach, was sitting by the fire on Wednesday night, at her house, she was taken in a fit and fell into the fire. Being- unable to move, her arm was severely burned to the bone but there is every hope for her recovery.

The Carmarthen Journal and South Wales Weekly Advertiser  25th October 1889
Lloyd v. Jones. David Lloyd, solicitor, Lampeter, sued Mr John Jones, Argoed-fach, Tregaron, for the recovery of £ 19 10s, being one and a half years' rent of Gwarffynon, Tregaron. Mr Arthur Hughes appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr W. P. Owen (Griffith Jones & Co.) for the defendant. The plaintiff was examined in support of his case, and a mortgage dated 26th April, 1880, from Griffith Griffiths to plaintiff, was put in and admitted by the defendant. The Judge made an order in favour of the plaintiff for £19 10s and costs, payable by monthly instalments of £ 1

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
A lot of Jones items for Pencefn, but not sure if related to yours - including, sadly two young brothers drowning in 1904

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4144895/4144898/86/

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 15 22:36 BST (UK) »
an item from 1900

SHEEP FAIR. The first of a series of sheep fairs was held in this town on Tuesday last, when a large number of sheep were offered for sale. Most of them were considered to be in excellent condition and the prices secured ranged from fourteen shillings to six- teen shillings. This is said to be rather lower than the prices obtained at the corresponding fair of last year. Between eight and nine hundred were sold and taken across the mountain to Brecon fair, which is to be held on Friday. The heaviest purchaser was Mr Dan Jones, Blaenplwyf, Lampeter, who bought over 500; the next being Mr Jno. Jones, Berthddu, Swydd- ffynon, 250. The former is the son and the latter the grandson of the late Mr Nathaniel Jones, Forest, near this town, who bought thousands of sheep at these fairs in his day.

Offline alwills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 15 22:41 BST (UK) »

The Aberystwith Observer 11th April 1885
ACCIDENT. As a poor widow named Mary Jones, Argoed-fach, was sitting by the fire on Wednesday night, at her house, she was taken in a fit and fell into the fire. Being- unable to move, her arm was severely burned to the bone but there is every hope for her recovery.

How awful! This could well be her, she was widowed only 5 years before, and would have been 33 when this happened, if it is the same Mary. She had moved by the time of the next census, in 91, with her 2 younger daughters (the oldest son was in the army and the middle son had died some 8 years prior at 10 years old).

Offline alwills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 September 15 22:43 BST (UK) »

The Carmarthen Journal and South Wales Weekly Advertiser  25th October 1889
Lloyd v. Jones. David Lloyd, solicitor, Lampeter, sued Mr John Jones, Argoed-fach, Tregaron, for the recovery of £ 19 10s, being one and a half years' rent of Gwarffynon, Tregaron. Mr Arthur Hughes appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr W. P. Owen (Griffith Jones & Co.) for the defendant. The plaintiff was examined in support of his case, and a mortgage dated 26th April, 1880, from Griffith Griffiths to plaintiff, was put in and admitted by the defendant. The Judge made an order in favour of the plaintiff for £19 10s and costs, payable by monthly instalments of £ 1

Evan had an older brother called John.

Offline alwills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 15 22:47 BST (UK) »
A lot of Jones items for Pencefn, but not sure if related to yours - including, sadly two young brothers drowning in 1904

http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4144895/4144898/86/

Yes, both farms were Jones. Mary maiden name was Jones! These poor lads were probably related to Mary's side of the family (I haven't done much research on her family as yet). :(