Author Topic: Gipsy Dan Boswell  (Read 162391 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gipsy Dan
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 October 15 04:43 BST (UK) »
24 February 1912 - Derbyshire Courier  -"The Rev. Charles Harrison, vicar of Selston, Notts, who this year completes quarter of a century's ministry in that parish, has made his corner of the county notable in several ways. Once every year Mr. Harrison ascends the church tower and preaches to his congregation assembled on the ground below. This service, he says, has given the parish of Selston world-wide fame, and his stackyard service, he considers, bids fair to be a good second. In this direction Mr. Harrison’s plan is rivalled—if I may put it that way—by the Rector of Killatnarsh (the Rev. F. J. Metcalfe), who once a year on Feast Sunday holds a service in the Killamarsh, Fair Ground, and preaches from the stops of the " roundabouts." The Vicar of Selston, however has now another scheme on hand. His parish was years ago the rendezvous of the gipsy race, and he hopes to organise a festival in which the representatives of the varions clans could take part, and could see re-erected the broken tombstone of Dan Boswell"

Hello Michael, that's the newspaper report on Harrison. He seems a bit of a showman, not your usual man of the cloth. It looks like his plan came to nothing then if the broken stone was still standing in 1938. What I can't understand is if it was replaced when Rev Hubert Victor Simmons was at St Mary's, Selston, 1962 - 1976, then the parish register should have still been with the church, it wasn't law to send them to the register office until 1978. So he must have looked in the register, llike the man told you he did, and seen Daniel was 76 when buried. So why did 90 end up on the new stone? Like alot with Dan's stone, bit of a mystery. I can't think anyone in the family was still visiting it and would have had an input, they would have paid themselves to replace the stone long before the 70's....it must have lain broken for over 120 years. And like you I doubt they'd have wanted the title 'Gypsy King' put on the stone.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 October 15 20:12 BST (UK) »

hello Rich

I know what your saying about the rev Vic Simmons,

but there was two churches, I think the st Marys is not as old as st Helens, your getting mixed with the sours about Vic's life, I read he went to two churches  , but our talk is st  Helens

if you look on page one I give a list of all the church people at st  Helens in Dan Boswells time ,  I've cut it down here to the three big ones , and do you see there all buried in st  Helens with Dan
the rest are not ,I think your saying st Marrys becourse on the web I seen that to ,

number one is vicar Wright, he's the one in the time the stopped the Gipsys coming,  it was the time of the enclosure of the commonland and finishing with the old bit of the churchyard were Dan Boswell was layed to rest, I think this is what the rev Harrison is talking about when he said this from that report you just wrote,

The Vicar of Selston, however has now another scheme on hand. His parish was years ago the rendezvous of the gipsy race, and he hopes to organise a festival in which the representatives of the varions clans could take part, and could see re-erected the broken tombstone of Dan Boswell"

so this is Rev Wright below, st Helens

11 Sept 1856

Robert John William Wright, vicar

On cession of G Williamson. Died 2 Aug 1887, buried in the churchyard.

then you have Rev Harrison,

the man with great idears, I read a lot of him , there a photo on the web to,

this is him below st Helens

26 Nov 1887

Charles Harrison, vicar

Died 28 April 1916, buried in churchyard

then you have  good old Vic, that's some name herbot, no wonder they called  him vic,
 this is him below st Helens not st Marys but I see why you said that, I seen his grave my self, he is of the time they cleared all the old stones up to make paths, I read a few reports on this but only wrote a little, I will have to try and find it all again but I,v forgot where it was,pluss hes the good man who at least had the dignity to put a new stone up,

this is him below st Helens

Hubert Victor Simmons

On cession of Pearce. Died 3 March 1978, buried in churchyard

yes the broken stone still  standing in 38, but the big bit is as it says the stones on its back on the ground , this is the top half, so looks so far like there was only ever one stone till 1972 I think or the odd year here or there, but I think 72, and he did say it was inside the church they searched for the date for it was me who asked him, and he did say some more things but I don't think I'll talk about it,  it was Vic he says done the lot for Dan Boswell,   I did say he could be searched out, plus he's photos of him digging the new grave in, and the old one you could read a bit but blurred, you had to dig that out the ground, when I get time I think I'll  get photos of
the path if I find it and the place where he  showed me the old stone was , just to the left it was , facing the church , plus all the vicars graves, plus the church,

I don't know if it was the register they looked at, in the church he said, no inside the church, why didn't the Family back the 1800s put the stone back,

like no one dear touch it, they might of thought Dan did it, it could be mokody Rich ,not what the books says  mokody, but how I learned from young,  mokody, I'm not trying to be clever, i,m thinking why would they not go near it, it as a lot of meaning that word does, you cant learn it by reading from all them books, it could be the stone itself  mokody, and Dan the top man , sure he came back and smashed the stone for the date was wrong,
the relatives might have moved on before the ground had settled and the stone erected, it couled have been a year before they returned , found the wrong date on the stone and it smashed, then they wouldn't touch it ,that's just my talk Rich, everyone should talk there own talk ,

michael

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 October 15 20:32 BST (UK) »
 just read this bit again Rich,

His parish was years ago the rendezvous of the gipsy race, and he hopes to organise a festival in which the representatives of the various clans could take part, and could see re-erected the broken tombstone of Dan Boswell

he more than likely did see some of the Gipsys, but they wouldn't come back and change the stone,
that rev Harrison did about everything he set out to do, looks like 38 shows he failed on the gravestone, well all you can do is look at what you find , if more is found , maybe we have to think again, but least people in the future will know, or can use things to help in there own search , even in a hundred years time, I,ld say we would be well forgotten then Rich

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 October 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
I got the bit about rev Harrison in the first post mixed in with the talk about rev Wright, herrmmm

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 October 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
and I forgot to tell you, just finish writing any time you want, don't write just be course you think you have to, you done just fine, in fact fantastic, and if you ever write in a magazine or paper just say you found everything, don't have to be telling no one of me, for when we've done here I'll tell them to delete the lot but you copy things and put it in your name, only the bits you want to copy mind you,
I know you'll do this

your pal michael

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 October 15 21:07 BST (UK) »
Yes I am getting mixed up with too with the parishes thanks for pointing it out. Yes they must have had some reasons not to fix the stone. Obviously they wern't keen on it either when Harrison tried in 1912. I imagine by the 1970's that was all long forgotten and the stone was changed without any input from living descendants. I went to a funeral of a young man who sadly died at just twenty one a few years back, Rom and Gaujas together attended, and there was a dispute there about whether it was mokady or not for some to be taking photos of the grave. So even in different families people have different ideas on that. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of it at all, so interested that you think it might have played a part Michael, I wouldn't argue otherwise.
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 October 15 21:26 BST (UK) »
like I said Rich , its only my talk, most people think I'm strange, and don't understand me one bit ,i,m not trying to say I know things, or this is what you do or this is what you don't do,i always say this is my talk, but I find its usually people who cant talk who jump in and have a go, what can a man do in life but just say his own talk, lots just pretend they have ways or so called customs, done to much reading, I wouldn't go to no funeral and take photos, but I see no harm years later researching or family knowledge photos, again just my talk ,don't get the two mixed up , its just respectful not to be taking photos at a funeral, what I,m talking about now at selston is totally different ,my talk is its mokody to even talk about mokody ,but I,ll chance it to just help others, see just my talk ,straight and true, please don't ever try to understand, i,m nothing like the people at that funeral,

I,m the last of the line ,ther,ll be no more when I,m gone

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 01 October 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
Your talk is good to me Michael. You've give me plenty of food for thought. I'm sure Dan's family must have still been visiting the grave long after it was broken. What you say at least would make sense..it explains why they didn't fix it. Whether a cow can kick a stone in half or not I don't know, but maybe the family didn't believe that at all  and thought it was done somehow else and for a reason and should best be left that way. I don't suppose we can know that for sure. I will visit the grave at some point...reading about it is one thing, but I should go and see for myself.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 01 October 15 22:39 BST (UK) »
Rich,   I wrote this in page one,

Derbyshire times 02 2007
Despite the precarious nature of the event, no accident has ever been recorded…except for one incumbent who never made it almost. When thirty years ago, the Rev Vic Simmons, was about to read his final tower sermon set his foot alight with weed killer (accidentally). He was determined to do it stating:

“It was the highlight of the church year. I didn’t want to miss it.”

So a chair was carried up and no doubt he made a slow and rather tender climb to the top.

tell me , why do you think I wrote it,
and I wrote it long before I talked about what we was talking about, and that was only thinking aloud of what we have so far found, but I wrote this above about the rev Vic Simmons be course I think the way I do , for it is the way I am,

when I get the photos ,one day, I will put them on, and I'll try and find more information, its just I struggle for the time to do such things,

your a top man yourself,
good luck 

yes Rich go and see for yourself, why not , all them scholars of long ago, going round the country, talking to this person or that person, there was nothing special about them, you , me , we can talk and do as we see freely, I used to talk to a great man named Elik, he says he's from the royal ones of Scotland those Farr Blyth's, descendant he was, he didn't go on to me about such things but others he did, he was really kind and would talk to me about Gipsy things and certain family's, we wrote to each other about such things i wish he was here now , I want people to remember his name ,
rest in peace Elik, you done a man a good turn before you would do him a bad one

thank you for being so kind

michael