Author Topic: Gipsy Dan Boswell  (Read 163503 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gipsy Dan Boswell
« Reply #405 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 17:51 GMT (UK) »
The Coventry Evening Telegraph 7 June 1940 Page 8

The Romany Touch

Set this gypsy cart of people in the English countryside,and you could allow your imagination to look down the centuries.

Actually the photograph was taken in a busy Hertford Street, Coventry, in June, 1940.

These below are several crystal clear  Great photos of Gipsies,and a very good  Great write up article of the History for Everyone to Learn, who the People are I do not know, they could be your Relatives you spend yeares looking for on the census reports, Good Luck ,

The Sphere, Saturday 16 October 1954 Page 114, 115

WESTMORLAND FOUTEENTH _ CENTRURY FAIRGROUND.

The great North Fair at Brought Hill which Dates back to 1330, is still Held Annually at the Beginning of Autumn

By Sidney Moorhouse

The Sketch Wednesday 27 May  1896 Page 204

Mr. F.H. GROOM.
Photo by Russel, BakerStreey, W.

Extract

Mr. Groome comes before us with an assured reputation. lie has enriched biographical literature with the vivid and skilful sketch of his father and Old Fitz in "Two Suffolk Friends." We have, through an earlier book, shared his life in Gypsy Tents." For he is of the Borrovian clan he can rokka Romanes speak Gypsy."   

The Sketch Wednesday 15 December 1897 Page 804

Extract and photo

MR. THEODORE WATTS-DUNTON'S POEMS. Until quite recently the public, outside literary circles, had come to regard Mr. Theodore Watts-Dunton as a sort of literary "Mrs. Harris    Mr. Watts-Dunton contrives to present before us the evolution of a soul. It is, so to speak, a piece of poetic Darwinism. The drama opens with a picture of the poet, whose one supreme passion is his love of Nature, until love teaches him to read Nature's heart as in his loveless days he had never read it. But it is a Romany girl whom the poet loves and ultimately marries and she, in defending herself against the murderous attack of a rejected Gipsy lover, becomes the unwitting agent of her assailant's death, and thereby incurs the terrible tribal vengeance of the Gipsies. She disappears mysteriously after her marriage, and then it is that the half-frenzied husband, driven forth by his anguish into the whited wilderness of the Snow       
THEODORE WATTS-DUNTON.
 Photo by Poole, Putney.

ps, you must find your Relatives , but learn to the history that shaped the Roots and Future,
pps, thats who you are, and your Children are your future, then you are the Roots, teach them well, Good Luck

ppps, don't worry I,m only doing this for Christmas, I have learned so much from being on Roots Chat and from all its Members , I just thought I would give something back in this Holy time of year, after the Festive days are over I will just go back to my direct search,   

Happy New Year to You all   

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 19:06 GMT (UK) »
The Sketch Wednesday 2 November 1898 Page 68, another Photo and written extract from one of those famous scholars who have dominated the Old Gipsies History, they have spoke of and wrote of your Relatives, you must learn of the scholars and the impact they had on your history, evan you who are but only like me, and are nothing at all much, or evan way down the line, as for you who are direct decedents, read away to

MR. THEODORE WATTS-DUNTON   

Now at last he has given to the public his romance, Aylwin." "Aylwin" was written some twenty years ago, and was much read in manuscript. It was enthusiastically admired by many eminent men who saw it, and the author was strongly urged to publish it. He so far agreed that, some fourteen years ago, an announcement appeared that it was to be published, and we believe it was printed at that time. There were reasons, however, such as Mr. Watts-Dunton thought sufficient, for holding it back. For one thing, he shrank from giving it to the public in the lifetime of certain friends who figured as characters. Now that it has appeared, however, it has lost nothing of its charm and freshness. It is a canon of criticism that, the greater a work of art is, the less it is touched by a merely contemporary and passing interest. The novel might have been written yesterday. Those who know Mr. Watts- Dunton's profound erudition and the seriousness with which he has considered the problems of life and literature, will be taken by surprise. The book is a genuine romance, full of the open air, full of passion, with a skilfully contrived plot which hurries the reader 0f breathless from page to page. I shall be surprised if it does not prove one of the great popular books of the season. If Mr. Watts-.Dunton shrinks from what is called the humiliation of a popular success, I am afraid he has a bad time before him. The sources of interest are manifold. Many will be attracted most of all by the picture of Gipsy life. Along with Mr. Francis Hindes Groome, Mr. Watts-Dunton is the great expert on the life of this rapidly dying but wonderful people. Till his late novel, Mr. Groome has not been tempted to give the romantic side of Gipsy life. Here it is all "Aylwin." By Theodor Watts-Dunton. London: Hurst and Blacket. romance. In the pages of Mr. Watts-Dunton' s friend, George Borrow, we have an undying picture of Gipsydom, but the two writers need not be compared with one another. Each has his own field. Mr. Watts- Dunton has devoted himself to the mystical element so deep among the Gipsy people, and, in fact, he may be said to have given us the only adequate delineation of this that exists. It should be noted also that he pictures the life of the Gipsy in Wales. Of this Borrow gives us very little, if anything. Borrow has given us the ever-delightful figure of Isobel Berners, but Mr. Watts-Dunton has rendered the still more impressive and powerful picture of Sinfi Lovell, the real heroine of his book. The nobility with which Sinfi bears the curse of another, and then in the end overcomes her own curse, is enough to stamp her image ineffaceably for every reader of this book. Mr. Watts-Dunton has a reverence for facts, and we may be sure that here the actual language of the Gipsies is rendered to perfection. Another source of deep interest to many will be the picture given of Dante Rossetti. It is not a complete picture, although in subtle touches Mr. Watts-Dunton brings before us the chief elements of His friend's colourfully  in sorrow, his magnetism, his love of animals, the tender ness of his heart, and, above all, the sweet ness of his voice. One of the characters says that human beings have such hoarse and disagreeable voices that to hear them talking must greatly trouble the birds, but that the birds could hear Rossetti speaking and think it some new music. The description of Rossetti's face which the heroine gives her lover may be quoted I suppose I must begin with his fore head, then. It was almost of the tone of marble, and contrasted, but not too violently, with the thin crop of dark hair slightly curling round the temples, which were partly bald. The forehead in its form was so perfect that it j seemed to shed its own beauty over all the other features it prevented me from noticing, as i after wards did. that these other features, the features below the eyes, were not in themselves beautiful. The eyes, which looked at. me through spectacles, were of a colour between hazel and blue-grey, but there were lights shining within them which were neither grey, nor hazel, nor blue wonderful lights. And it was to these indescribable lights, moving and alive in the deeps of the pupils, that his face owed its extraordinary attractiveness. Have I sufficiently described,Him or am I to go for taking his face to pieces for you to  get , "Winnie pray go on." Well, then, between the eyes, across the top of the nose, where the bridge of the spectacles rested, there was a strongly marked indented line, which had the appearance of having been made by long-continued pressure of the spectacle- frame. Am I still to go for? Yes, yes." The beauty of the face, as I said before, was entirely confined to the upper portion.
MR. ALGERNON CHARLES SWINBURNE AND MR. THEODORE WATTS-DUNTON IN THE GARDEN OF THEIR HOUSE, THE PINES," PUTNEY. Photo by Elliott and Fry, Baler Street, IV.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: Wednesday 28 December 16 21:34 GMT (UK) »
The Sketch Wednesday 5 April 1899 Page 460

Photos and extract

GEORGE BORROWS SUMMER-HOUSE.

A few years ago the British public permitted, without a word of remonstrance, the pulling-down of the old house at Oulton, near Lowestoft, in which George Henry Borrow, the author of "Lavengro" and "The Romany Rye," dwelt during the greater part of the latter half of his life. It was, in Borrow's time, an isolated house-- a fact which, no doubt, commended it to the solitude-loving "Walking Lord of Gipsy Lore"-- standing on the brink of one of the largest of the East Anglian Broads, and on the border of a far-spreading tract of marshland. Access to it was more easily obtained by water than by land, and for this reason it was seldom sought out by strangers. Borrow's visitors there were mostly men of the marshes fishermen, eel-catchers, and flight-shooters, who, like himself, loved the wild life of the lowlands and the lowland streams. A dusky ridge of firs sheltered the house from the keen winds that swept across the forsaken fenlands, and the little garden that sloped down to the bank of the Broad was almost hidden behind the rustling culms of a reed- 

Photo and Extract

Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic  News
Saturday 16 August 1913 Page 1186

" There's Wind on the Heath Brother___Who would wish to Die?."

(Reproduced by the committee from " The Souvenir of George Borrow Celebration,"
by James Hooper.
London and Norwich:
Jarrold and Son.)

"GEORGE BORROW-- A SOUVENIR." George Borrow's fame as a gipsying traveller and a racy writer has steadily grown in the past half century. All good Borrovians should possess a copy of this interesting souvenir of the recent George Borrow Cele bration at Norwich, which has been written and prepared by Mr. James Hooper, and published for the Celebration Committee by Messrs. Jarrold and Sons. It does not purport to give a minute account of Borrow's wayward life, but it gives an uncommonly interesting series of pen-pictures of one of the most fascinating of nineteenth-century writers, mainly in his connection with the town in which so many of his years were passed. It was at Norwich Grammar School that George Borrow first began to receive any regular education and de veloped an innate genius for story telling, in delighting a group of favourite schoolfellows with endless tales that he would illustrate him self in the telling. It was at Norwich that, having already mas tered Greek and Latin, Borrow began to pick up French and Italian in his spare time from a banished French priest, later ex tending his linguistic acquisitions until he knew and could translate fluently some twenty languages at twenty years of age.

The Sphere Saturday 27 July 1957 Page 136
extract and lots of Photos

Life with the "Travelling People" The Pleasures and the Problems of the Romany Way of Life By DOMINIC REEVE (whose new book Smoke in the Lanes will be published this Autumn) We in like the sheep in the fields like the flowers in the garden, Policeman we ain'ta got no names Romani answer to constable. I AM by birth a part-Romani. My wife, how ever, is not-- and it is she, therefore, as a Gauji (non-Romani) who had to make the most sacrifices when we began living and travelling in horse-drawn wagons. Few indeed are the women, or men either for that matter, who could adapt themselves to fit happily into a life so entirely alien to all that had been instilled into them from earliest childhood: a completely communal life. in which privacy is almost unknown. In fact, I may tru'hfully state that I have never met any other true Gaujes who have settled permanently into the life of the wagon-dwelling people though I have met vast numbers of Romanies who have adopted house-dwelling lives! To live as and often with the travelling people," as most Romanies or diddikais (part-Romanies) nowadays prefer to be called, requires a complete readjustment of mental outlook. It must be accepted that for every Gaujo who likes or tolerates travelling people there are twenty who do not; and once seen with a horse-drawn van one is stigmatised in the beholder's eye immediately: viewed with a mixture of superiority, suspicion, distaste, fear, and only occasionally with liking or sympathy. 

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: Friday 30 December 16 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Penny illustrated Saturday 10 November 1906 Page 239 Photos of Gipsies
The Stage Thursday 27 March 1975 Photo Gipsy Jim Lee Page 5
Aberdeen Press journal 6 August 1947 Page 3 Photo Gipsy Smith
The Sphere 2 March 1929 Page 373 Photos Gipsies
The Sphere Saturday 26 October 1901 Page viii Photo Article Charles Blyth Faa Rutherford
Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette Saturday 13 January 1923 Page 19 Photo Article Pat Smith
The Grafic Saturday 25 September 1920 Page 450 illustrations and article Weirter and Eastbrook
Nottingham Evening Post Monday 27 April 1903 Page 8
Illustrations and Article of Gipsies in their Camp in Nottingham
Northern Wig Monday 1 June 1925 Page 12 Photo the King and the Gipsy
Hull Daily Mail Tuesday 14 April Page 3 Photo Gipsies
Bath Chronicle and weekly Gazette Saturday 29 September 1923 Photo Captain Pat Smith
The Sketch Wednesday 8 June 1898 Page 255 Photos Gipsies at Yetholm
Penny Illustrated Paper Saturday 28 November 1903 Page 338 Photo Turkish Gipsies in England
Illustrated News London Saturday 12 February 1955 Page 265 Portrait and Article
Norther Wig Saturday 8 August 1931 Page 12 Photo of A Wagon
Daily Mirror 27 May 1914 Page 9 Two Photos Epsom Gipsies
Illustrated London News Saturday 24 June 1843
 Illustration and Article of Gipsies fighting at Ascot Page 438
Illustrated London News Saturday 29 June 1957 Page 1032 Photo Gipsy Funeral
Illustrated London News Saturday 18 July 1970 Page 8 Photo Dame Laura Knight
Illustrated London News Saturday 6 December 1879
 Illustration’s inside a Gipsies Tent Pages 528 527
Illustrated London News Saturday 13 December 1879 Page 512
Sketches of interior of Vans Latimer road Notting hill
The Sphere Saturday 9 June 1923 Page 274 Photo Gipsies Epsom
The Sphere Saturday 20 October 1928 Page 133 Photo and Article by Emeri Deri
The Sphere Saturday 23 May 1953 Gipsies Mexborough Yorkshire Page 309
Britannia and Eve Friday 26 April 1929 Photo of the Gipsy Defence League Page 680
Britannia and Eve Monday 1 May 1944 Photos Gipsies Page 20
The Sphere Saturday 12 September 1912 Photo Gipsies Page 233
Penny Illustrated Saturday 12 May 1906 Page 292 Photo German Gipsies Scotland
Penny Illustrated Saturday 31 December 1904 Photo Gipsy
The Sphere Saturday 12 September 1931 Page 389 Photos Gipsies Hop Garden Kent
The Sphere Saturday 17 December 1904 Page 234 Gipsy Smith with Violin Evangelist
The Sphere Saturday 8 June 1912 Page 210 Photo Epsom Gipsy Children and King George
The Sphere Saturday 18 February 1905 Page 178 Photo German Gipsies
The Sphere Saturday 5 June 1937 Page 502 Photo Gipsies Epsom Downs
The Sphere 16 March 1963 Photos Article Dominic Reeve Page 394
The Sphere Saturday 8 November 1858 photos Yarm Fair Stow Fair Village of Cranthorne Page 221 222 Brian Vessy Fitzgerald Article
The Sphere Saturday 23 January 1932 Photo Gipsies Page 125
The Sphere Saturday 10 February 1934Page 184 raid on the Gipsies
The Sphere Saturday 25 September 1954 Page 477 Photo Gipsy Camp Kentish Wood
The Sphere Saturday 20 August 1910 Page 165 Photo Gipsies
The Sphere Saturday 27 April 1929 Photo Gipsy Defence League
The Sphere Saturday 28 May 1955 Photos Stow Fair Lime street Lane Estate Gipsies
Sunday Post Sunday 10 June 1923 Page 1, 2 , Photo Charles Baker With His Wife and adopted Child, Large Article “ESCAPED GIPSY STILL AT LIBERTY”
Lancashire Evening Post Saturday 1938 Photo Page 4 Gipsies and the Nazis large Article
Yorkshire Evening Post Monday 25 February 1935 Photo Page 10
The Sphere Saturday 1 June 1946 Page 283 Photos Arthur Smith weds Hume Henderson, Rose Smith His Mother with three more of Her Sons Camping on Stabbing Down
The Sphere Saturday 3 June 1933  Photo Gipsy Camp Epsom Page 370

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: Friday 30 December 16 16:28 GMT (UK) »
 so that's it for the year , happy new year to you all, that's me done for the year, second up above,   one of the Photos is of Arthur Smiths Family from Stebbings, I thought what a way to finish the year, good luck to the new year, look after yourselves, you never know I might be back,

Leahcim

Lancashire Post Wednesday May 1946

GENERAL’S DAUGHTER WEDS GIPSY    Daughter of a General. Miss Edith Helen Hume 'Nell) Henderson. of Martin’s Hall. Stebbing. near Braintree, was married to-day to Mr. Arthur Smith, a gipsy, and of nephew Gipsy Smith, the evangelist. The wedding took place at the village church, and afterwards the couple left for a real Romany honeymoon." They drove off in car. Declaring we’ll pitch our tent just where the fancy takes us." Miss Henderson,  . Served an ambulance driver in the A.T.S. during the war. Her father. Brig-General M. Hume Henderson, who died three years ago. was in the Indian Army, From the bride herself I heard the story of her romance. Months ago." she said. “Arthur came to some digging for us out of the kindness of his heart. Mother and I lately- engaged him as a part-time gardener We fell in! Love and decided to marry.” 

Chelmsford Chronicle Friday 24 May 1946

In this Report below is the most Beautiful Photo, if you know of these People and they or their Family do not know, tell them of the Photo, it would be a kind deed

GIPSY MARRIES DAUGHTER OF BRIGADIER-GENERAL -  Villagers   crowded the _ Parish Church on Wednesday for the wedding of a General's daughter and member of the gipsy fraternity who live in caravans and cabins on Stebbing 'Green. The bride was Miss Edith Helen Hume Henderson, only daughter of the late Brig.-Gen. M. Hume Henderson, of Martins Hall. Stebbing, and the bridegroom Mr. Arthur Smith, aged 45, whose mother, Mrs. Ruth Smith, lives in a caravan on Stebbing Green. Mr. Smith, who is a second cousin of Gipsy Smith, the evangelist, beside going round with a scissors grinding barrow, used to do the odd gardening, and a few months ago he went to work in. the garden At Martins Hall. There he met Miss Helen Henderson, who is .a keen gardener; she lived at Martins Hall with her widowed mother. Brig.-General Hume Henderson, Indian Army officer, died three years ago. WILL LIVE AT HALL The bridegroom has left his cabin on Stebbing Green, which he built himself, and will live with his wife at Martins Hall. Mr. Arthur Smith wore a smart blue suit at the wedding, and on his coat were the war ribbons he wore in the 1914-18 war. Miss Helen Henderson, who is also 45, wore a blue dress, with veil, and carried- a bouquet of honeysuckle and other flowers from her garden. She was given away by Mr. J. Little, of Stebbing. Best man was Mr. George Mattams, on leave from the Navy. There were no bridesmaids. The ceremony was performed by Canon J. Thompson, a former vicar of Stebbing, and the Rev. H. B. Reiss. the present vicar. The bride's mother Mrs. Henderson attended the service, but the bridegroom's mother was too infirm to attend. She stayed in her caravan on the Green, and received a visit from her daughter-in-law later in the day. A large number of gipsies from as far away as Norfolk came for the service but few of them could get in the church, and they welcomed the bride and bridegroom when they came out. Lucky silver horseshoes were handed to the  Bride by little Susan Halls and Mrs. Hayter. A miniature caravan made by the bridegroom decorated the three tier wedding cake. Later the couple left in the bride's car for a honeymoon touring. They took a tent with them. " It will be strange leaving the old shack to live in the Hall," said : the bridegroom, " but I'll get used  to it."

Chelmsford Chronicle Friday 28 June 1946

Another Beautiful Photo,
ROMANCE BEGAN BY A PASSION FLOWER From our SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT Braintree, Thursday. M K and Mrs. Arthur Smith have now returned to Martins Hall, Stebbing, after their honeymoon. Their marriage at the end of last month created great interest, the bride being Miss Edith Hume Henderson, only daughter of the late Brig.-Gen.. M. Hume Henderson, of Martins Hall, and the bridegroom a gardener at the Hall, whose mother, Mrs. Ruth Smith, lives in a gipsy caravan on Stebbing Green. Accounts of the romance that appeared in some newspapers were grossly exaggerated and caused much pain to the bride and bridegroom and to the bride's mother. For example, the statement that Mr. Smith was a widower was quite untrue. He was a bachelor. It was quite untrue that his family were not invited to the wedding; they were invited, but arrived late at the church, and found it full. The couple are as happy as any newly-married pair can possibly be, and admirably suited; for Mr. Smith is of high intelligence, is well read, and takes a close interest in the affairs of the day. They permitted me to photograph them in the grounds at Martin's Hall. These make a rare setting for an idyll, with the Chinese geese on the lake, the river flowing through the gaily-beflowered gardens, and the rock gardens still in their early summer beauty. Passion-flowers were my main topic of conversation with Mr. and Mrs. Smith, for their romance first began to bud when they were discussing together the treatment of one of these supremely lovely plants.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: Sunday 01 January 17 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I put on this article below a few posts back,  now I have read other articles, so for a balance I will just put them on

This photo comes from the magazine  called the Sketch, Wednesday 25 of December just a few hours in this time from me writing to you all, in the year 1912, in an article speaking of             
Women about town,   

The Gipsy Hand Shake

"I THE OLDEST- KNOWN PURE -BRED GIPSY
GREETS A DESCENDANT OF THE AUTHOR OF "LAVENGRO."

Photograph by Excelsior Illustrations.

The true-born gipsy is accustomed to use a sort of masonic sign which enables him to distinguish a pure-bred member of his community. This is a particular form of handshake, supposed to bring good luck. If two gipsies have a feud, a nail is placed between the first and second fingers while they shake hands, and if it draws blood the feud is ended. Our photograph shows Jasper Petulengro, the oldest known purebred gipsy, shaking hands with Miss Winefride Borrow, a descendant of George Borrow,

so this above is what I put on, now follow what I have now read, this below is the start of the story

Diss Express 19 May 1911 Page 2

“THE WIND ON THE HEATH." There will certainly be a cordial reception for George Borrows “Lavengro,” which finds place in Mr. John Murray's Shilling Library. In this book, as all the world knows, the “walking lord of gipsy lore” has largely told the story of his remarkable life. he quotes one of the most characteristic passages, dialogue between “Mr. Petulengro” and Lavengro ’; “Life is sweet, brother.
 “Do you think so?” “Think so! There’s night and day, brother, both sweet things; sun, moon and stars, brother, all sweet things; there’s likewise the wind on the heath. Life is very sweet, brother; who would wish to die?” “I would wish to die “You talk like a gorgio—which is the same as talking like a fool—were you a Romany Chal you would talk wiser. Wish to die, indeed  a Rommany Chal would wish to live for ever!” “In sickness, Jasper?” “There’s the sun and stars, brother.” “In blindnees, Jasper? “There’s wind on the heath, brother, if I could only feel that, I would gladly live for ever. Dosta, we’ll now go to the tents and put on the gloves; and I’ll try to make you feel what a sweet thing it is to be alive, brother! “

Yorkshire Evening Post Thursday 19 December 1912 Page 4

“THERE'S THE WIND ON THE HEATH, BROTHER."
Photographs have been reproduced in some of the illustrated papers purporting to show a descendant of George Borrow with Jasper Petulengro, the Romany hero associated with the famous saying, " There's the wind on the heath, brother."
Jasper is long since deceased, of course. Amerus Smith was his real name, and Mr. W. T. Scarle,of  the Gypsy and Folk-Lore Club, says he died in 1878, aged 74, which was three years before the death of George Borrow at the age 78. Most of Jasper's descendants went to America soon after his death, and before leaving erected a stone which bears the following inscription

“In Memory AMBROSE SMITH,
Who died 22nd October, 1878,  Aged 74 Years
 Nearer My Father's House, Where many mansions be:
Nearer the Great White Throne,
Nearer the Jasper Sea”.

The stone can be seen in the churchyard at Dunbar, where he died.

Seven Oaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser Friday 20 December 1912 Page 3 Extract

How many of those who have read •• Lavengro know that Jasper Petulengro, who was George Borrows gipsy companion more than seventy years ago. Is still alive?
  He was the guest of honour the other night at a gipsy supper at the Cabaret Club in London. Ninety-six years old he is, and still works occasionally in his old trade of basket-weaving, 

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: Thursday 09 February 17 20:34 GMT (UK) »

I was just wondering if anyone could look on a few census reports for me, if you remember a while back I was talking about the name Hartley and how this Name was used as an alias sometimes and also on a record as a Fathers name, what is the truth of this , I don't know, 
I was also wondering where the name Walter came from, there is a Walter Nelson who married a  Lotti Willshaw  then the Wiltshire's and all those Names seam to be Related to the Knights alias Grahams in the late middle 1800s, then in 1901 one of the Knights is also called Walter ,and it looks like a Joseph could be married to a Knight   

these are a few new reports about Walter Wiltshire,   

Wednesday 16 June 1915 Nottingham Evening post

ARNOLD MAN’S ESCAPADE. What was described Deputy Chief Constable Harrop as a bad case of drunkenness in charge of pony and cart, and furious driving, was heard Mr. G. Fellows and other magistrates the Nottingham Shire Hall to-day. The defendant was Walter Wiltshire, 32, horse dealer, of Arnold, and the offence was committed in Front-street, Arnold, the morning of tho 11th inst. P.c. Jackson said defendant was rolling about from one side of the trap to the other. When seen afterwards defendant agreed that he was drunk, and said that if the officer would return in half an hour he would bo able to speak to him. Defendant was fined 15s. for being drunk, and a guinea for furious driving.

7 May 1901 Derbyshire Courier
Walton; Taking Pheasant in the Close Season. —Walter Wiltshire was charged with an unlawful  taking  during the close season, Walton, on April 21sl—Inspector Evans, of the Chesterfield Police Force, slated that he visited the defend van the day named and asked his wife what her husband had brought that morning, and she answered " nothing." Witness then asked defendant what he  had under his jacket, and replied "nothing but my waistcoat'' Witness searched the cupboard, and found a recently killed pheasant there -Defendant said he had brought the bird for shilling.—Fined and costs

this is the post about the name Hartley I wrote a few pagers back, this is when I first saw the name of Walter Wiltshire, then I came across those two above, look how He is around Chesterfield, that's where Brampton is, that is part of a massive circle that they travelled including Nottingham where Arnold is in the other report

Oral history as past down was Williams Wife came from Scotland, in records She is said to be registered in Yorkshire, my Mother when young would plait Her hair and She would tell of the old  history, my Mother telled me of these times, She said She was born round a place named Musselburgh  in the mid to late 1800s, on a record that was shown to me it says Her Fathers name was Hartley, who Her Mother was I don't know, also the first name She was known by was not the one used on any record I have seen of Her, i think the two Williams below are Her Husband and Son, who Walter is i don't know but Her Husband sure as lots of names so it could be Him, young William thoe is only about 14 not 20, and the name he gives as David could be a clue, my Mother  telled of a young boy who died, I always thought She meant Her Mothers Son, but now it could mean Young WIlliam had a Brother, or his Grandad was named David Hartley and a Child that died was named after Him , who knows it could or could not be a clue,  these are rip roaring Gipsy People of their own day, so the Hartleys of Scotland could be related to these great People, who the Hartleys are I do not know,

these are just small extracts from larger posts in this thread

Nottinghamshire 1907 

ALLEGED FALSE PRETENCES AT NEWARK.

David Hartley, alias Walter Wiltshire, of no fixed abode, was charged Newark Police-court this morning,  with obtaining  a guinea with false pretences, from Edmund Crow, saddler, Mill-gate, Newark. Prosecutor said that on Thursday morning prisoner came into  his shop and said he was from Catesby and Co. with cork lino.
Nottingham 1910

NOTTINGHAM MAN CHARGED WITH AN OFFENCE COMMITTED IN 1903.

A case illustrative the long arm of the law came before Messrs. T. Ships tone and J. E. Pendleton at the Nottingham Summons Court to-dav, when William Wiltshire, alias Hartley, of 1, Kelk's-yard, Count-street, Nottingham, was summoned for using obscene language September 7th, 1903, and for assaulting Police-Constable Manners May 26th. The  evidence showed that seven years ago the defendant did not appear answer (be summons, and warrant had been taken out against him.  Derbyshire 1914

USELESS  VARNISH.

William Wilsher (20), hawker, giving his address as 26, Bridgehouses, Sheffield, was charged at Chesterfield, to-day, with committing   “a very mean trick.” Two charges of obtaining money by false pretences were preferred against the youth, who is the son of Sheffield hawkers. on Friday', the 13th inst., prisoner called at her house and asked if she wanted to buy some varnish, saying he was a varnisher, that he had been doing work at Mr. Logging house at Brampton, and that the varnish he had over his master was allowing him to sell. William Wilsher charged before as David Hartley

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: Thursday 09 February 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
 this is an extract from and earlier  post I wrote about the Wilshaws and Wiltshire's  who are connected here to the Graham Knights

Derbyshire 1888

Horse Stealing at Wirksworth
Thomas Knight 33 alias Graham Tin Man was charged with stealing an horse the property of Sarah Wilshaw a widow, the prisoners sister is the proprietress of a traveling caravan stationed in a field, she employed him to look after the horse the horse was sold at Wirksworth market place to john Spencer, Knight was apprehended in Sheffield, the Jury found him guilty and he was sentenced to six months with hard labour, there was a large number of previous convictions, it was stated that they were not living together as Man and Wife

CAPTURE OF SUPPOSED HORSE STEALER. THIS DAY.
The borough forces, and Police-constable Wheatley, of the Derbyshire Constabulary, succeeded in arresting in Spring street a hawker named Thomas Knight on a charge of stealing a horse from Wirksworth . The horse has been recovered in Worksop. The accused is well known character.

Brampton Chesterfield Derbyshire 1866

Shocking Depravity

At the County Magistrates at Chesterfield Tuesday last.
Joseph Wiltshire 22 of Nottingham itinerant Gipsy besom maker and Emma Graham 34 alias knight pot hawker of south sea Hants the latter charged with having stolen five pounds three shillings the property of David Allen pot hawker of Boroughbridge Staffordshire in the Griffin inn Brampton and the former with having feloniously received the same, but the prosecutor on not appearing they were both discharged, it was stated that the male prisoner knocked him down and when on the floor the woman cut out his pockets, They were then charged by Maria Knight (wife of the male, and daughter of the female prisoner) with assaulting her Saturday night, it was stated that Wiltshire was living with his own Mother in law as Man and Wife, the case was dismissed as the parties did not appear.

1874 Brampton

Charge of Stealing a Donkey.   

Thomas Graham and James Knight, two Gipsies, were brought up in custody on remand with stealing an ass belonging to George Thompson, Brampton, The defence was that  the prosecutor, who had been drinking with the prisoners, had given them permission to sell the animal while he was intoxicated.—The Bench considering the  evidence was not sufficiently conclusive, dismissed the case.

1874 Derbyshire

Who Stole the Donkey

At the Magistrates' Clerk's Office, Chesterfield,  two men named respectively James Knight and Thomas Graham, were each brought up charged with stealing a donkey, the property of a travelling hawker named James Wright.—The evidence went to show that on Monday night the prosecutor bought an ass for 6s. which he saw in a field at Walton, and on the following morning he went for it, and it was nowhere to be found. On the previous evening he was in company with the prisoners, and he suspected them of taking 14s. and some coppers out of his pocket. —George Beeley spoke to buying the ass from the two prisoners for 6d., on the previous morning, and he put it into the Royal Oak stable. —Remanded till Saturday

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: Thursday 09 February 17 21:01 GMT (UK) »
 here you have Wilt__Shaw  double barrelled ,and then just Wiltshaw, pluss Wilsher, and there all the same People ,  William the pot hawker is my Mothers GrandDad,why the same census reports differ in certain facts  I do not know,  don't ever believe records as genuine, you must find other things that match, I will show you soon how to connect the names as one,

Same - 1901 - Pleasley Nottinghamshire, Main Street, Shirebrook, derby Nott's!, Van.
Thomas Wiltshaw, h, m, 1864, Hawker, Sheffield Yorkshire.
Margaret, wife, 1871, Hartlepool Yorkshire.
Averhilda, dau, 1890, Sheffield Yorkshire.
Harriett, dau, 1891, Sheffield Yorkshire.
Thomas, son, 1894, Sheffield Yorkshire.
Margaret, dau, 1896, Sheffield Yorkshire.
Julia, dau, 1899, Sheffield Yorkshire.
Emma, dau, 1901, Sheffield Yorkshire.
-------
Same - 1901 - Pleasley Nottinghamshire, Main Street, Shirebrook, derby Nott's!, Van.
William Wiltshaw, h, m, 1880, Hawker, Woodsths! Derbyshire.
Maria R, wife, 1861, Hull Yorkshire.
Rebecca, dau, 1897, Sheffield Yorkshire.
William, son, 1899, Nottinghamshire.
-------
Joseph Wiltshaw, h, m, 1845, Hawker, Warrington Yorkshire.
Maria K, wife, 1844, Bolsover Derbyshire.
Emma, dau, 1883, Woodsetts! Derbyshire.
Henry, son, 1885, Woodsetts! Derbyshire.

1901 CENSUS* INDEXED AS WILT-SHAW
Nottinghamshire Civil parish: Pleasley Ecclesiastical parish: Shirebrook Holy Trinity Town: Shirebrook : Derbyshire
Lots there in caravans:-
William Wilt Shaw 21 B Woodsetts, Derbyshire Pot hawker
Maria R Wilt Shaw 20 Hul Yorkshire
Rebecca Wilt Shaw 4 Sheffield, Yorkshire
William Wilt Shaw 2 b Notinghamshire
Thomas Wilt Shaw 37 b Sheffield, Yorkshire looked at image and I think 27? Hawker
Margaret Wilt Shaw 20 wife b South Pool, Yorkshire image I think 30?
Emma Willt Shaw 2 months b Sheffield, Yorkshire
Harriett Wilt Shaw 10 b Sheffield, Yorkshire
Julia Wilt Shaw 2 b Sheffield, Yorkshire
Margaret Wilt Shaw 5 b Nottinghamshire,
Mathilda Wilt Shaw 11 b Sheffield, Yorkshire
Thomas Wilt Shaw 7 b Sheffield, Yorkshire
Alfred Tyler 35 trav pot higgler b leics
Lucy Tyler 29 wife b Swadlincote, Derbyshire
Walter Knight 33 coal miner b Romsley, Worcestershire
Martha Knight 32 b Brampton, Derbyshire
Ada Knight 2 b Shirebrook, Derbyshire
Leonard Knight 3 months b Shirebrook, Derbyshire
Mary Knight 5 b Brampton, Derbyshire
Robert B Knight 12 b Brampton, Derbyshire
William Knight 8 b Brampton, Derbyshire
Joseph Wilt Shaw 56 B Darrington, Yorkshire
Maria Hork ? 57 wife b Bolsover, Derbyshire
Emma dau 18 BWoodsetts, Derbyshire
Henry 16 son B Woodsetts, Derbyshire

Address 3 H 1 COURT BARD ST PARK SHEFFIELD YORKSHIRE WILSHER WILLIAM HEAD MARRIED 35 PEDLAR SALESMAN B YORKSHIRE
WILSHER MARIA WIFE MARRIED 34 PEDLAR SALESMAN B CORN IN HULL YRKS
WILSHER REBECCA DAUGHTER 14 B SHEFFIELD YORKSHIRE
WILSHER WILLIAM SON 12 SCHOOL B SHEFFIELD YORKSHIRE

People not in houses*
1861*Pontefract, Yorkshire
William Willshaw abt 1811 Longbillington, Nottinghamshire, Head Tinner & Brazier
Lidia Willshaw abt 1812 Codbrough, Nottinghamshire, Wife
Joseph Willshaw abt 1846 Darrington, Yorkshire Son
 Lidia Willshaw abt 1848 Lincoln, Lincolnshire Daughter
//
Walter Nelson abt 1829 Scotland Son-in-Law
Lotis Nelson abt 1829 Stowe, Lincolnshire, Daughter
Henry Nelson abt 1853 Wakefield, Yorkshire, Grandson
George Nelson abt 1854 Wakefield, Yorkshire, Grandson
Harriet Nelson abt 1856 Carlton, Yorkshire, Granddaughter
Mary Nelson abt 1858 Pontefract, Yorkshire, Granddaughter
//
William Blewitt abt 1809 widow Stamford, Lincolnshire, Head tinner & Brazier