Author Topic: Gipsy Dan Boswell  (Read 162388 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Gipsy Dan Boswell
« Reply #441 on: Monday 04 September 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Panished,

Your previous post I had split off from this topic because you were quoting another RootsChat topic instead of clicking the reply button, so I attached for you. For each line of enquiry you need to start off a "New topic"

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: Saturday 23 September 17 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

would there be anyone who would help me locate a census or any kind of record, I started this thread about Daniel Boswells Gravestone, I will just stay with this research now and no longer post other questions or enquiries about anyone else or any subject what so ever,
so this is the name I am researching and would like some help with, the name is Joseph Hornton known as a pedlar from Cornwall, I located this information through several records in old books, it as taken me a long time, the connection to Daniel Boswell is this, I have been researching His Epitaph, which you may read up on many posts on this thread, well I will put everything in order on my next post but just read this for now and would someone help me locate who Joseph Hornton is, the time of his burial and any information that may help, I will only now research the story of Daniel Boswell on this thread, so these are a few things I have found. I have been researching  through old books for what seems like ages, its not an easy thing to-do, I must of read hundreds of thousands of words, but it is worth it in the end when you discover things

"Quaint Epitaphs"

Collected by

SUSAN DARLING SAFFOR.

Boston, Mass; April 6, 1895

Chapter

In foreign countries.

Page 88 ENGLAND

JOSEPH HORNTON, Pedler.

I lodged have in many a town
And travelled many a year.
Till age and death have brought me down
To my last lodging here.

then I read these records from this book below,   

Epitaphia;

A Collection of 1300 British Epitaphs Grave and Gay, Historical and Curious-1909,E.R.suffling

page 438

A Gipsy King. Selston, Notts.

I've lodged in many a Town,
I've travelled many a year,
but death at length as brought me down
to my last lodging here.

Daniel Boswell was the name of this Romany Monarch, possible the Husband of the above Mathilda Boswell; I do not know the date of his decease. Some years ago a cow, grazing in the churchyard, broke the stone, which as not been replaced, and it is hoped that this notice may per-pectuate the epitaph and name of Gipsy Boswell.

The Turret, Happisburgh, Norfolk, Aug; 1909 Ernest  R Suffling.

then in the same book under the title Pedlars on page 376 I read this below, also this record is transcribed with only the place name, the one before by Susan Darling Saffar as the Pedlars name, by combining the two story's, a bigger picture appears, I have found this way of researching brings more information, what is true and who is who is the challenge that still awaits accomplishment

On a Pedlar. Calstock, Cornwall.

I lodged have I many a Town
and travelled many a year,
Till age and Death have brought me down
To my last lodging here.

so you see I would like any information about Joseph Hornton,  from these different books above it looks like he was burried in a place called Calstock Cornwall England,

I know there is much to be found evan by researching an Epitaph, I have found much more and will write everything in order regarding my research for Daniel Boswell, if no one comes forward with assistance and I to find no more, then I will leave all this information in order here for the next researcher of the future to take up the challenge to find the truth, so hopefully one day the Story of Daniel Boswell and the mysteries of His grave stone, will be told

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: Sunday 01 October 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
Helo Everyone

would someone be able to look this record of Death up for me.

England, Select Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991DEATH, BURIAL, CEMETERY & OBITUARIES
NAME:    Joseph Horton
DEATH:    abt 1780

I sure have been reading, you do find lots but the sad thing is you may get tired and write records incorrectly, so from my last post I wrote the name Joseph Hornton, but on rereading my research it should of said Joseph Horton, that was a bad mistake on my part, but I have now found another record that may show writers down through the years just copy records or evan guess certain accounts, or evan make them up, its a strange world this Genealogy, I have now found another record from 1781 that talks of Cattistock Dorset not Calstock Cornwall,

In CATTISTOCK CHURCHYARD.
I Lodged have in many a Town,
And Traveled many a Year,
Till Age and Death have Brought me Down
To my Last Lodging here.

I have read through Cattistocks local Web Site page, and in there they have the Gravestone Records of the names transcribed on Monuments plus the date, yet there is no Joseph Horton or no record of 1781, some Gravestone's tho are not readable, I would be most grateful if someone would be able to find the burial records for the 1780s from this Church.

this is the link to Cattistock 
The church of Saints Peter and Paul

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiZo_OZ987WAhWJZFAKHU_qDVoQFghKMAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opcdorset.org%2FCattistockFiles%2FCattistock.htm&usg=AOvVaw05zJPDDM9bMXZfF5eF44j1

Regards michael

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: Thursday 05 October 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

well I realise my requests are of a very hard nature, but you never know in the future someone may read these writings and use them to fulfil that which I set out to do in my feeble innocent ways, I am well a where of my limitations never mind education in what ever level is required in the, well, really great endeavour of researching, whether Relatives or a subject close to your heart, the true thing I think is to at least leave the door open for a far more in depth research, and true a far more capable Person, that true can navigate this modern world of the internet, I think now I will put up all the information that I and Richard have found in a descending time scale, the reason for this is not just for the future researchers but for the fact I have to admit I may not have the skills to find what is very important, I have great faith that one day someone will take up this research and find what You think I was looking for, I will also put on the photos that I have yet to take of where the GraveStone was placed back in the time of the burial, and also try and find all the old GraveStones of all the Protagonists that I speak of many pages back and photograph them to, so I will not be asking no more questions of you good People but just finalising all this research in the  knowledge that I  know someone far greater than me will one day read these words and do what needs to be done, this is the name of the book I was referring to in my last post about the Epitaph from the 1700s, I have my reasons for researching these old Epitaphs but also I am looking into the what Richard said was the original Epitaph, in the lines when the words of "Tis True" are used, I have found other records with relevance to this way of talking, it is a Shakespearian way from the 15,1600 hundreds, up untill the middle 1800s, I have done much research on this, when I now put everything in order in time going from the earliest time till now I will show all the records that I talk of,  through all these writings I Respect all the Dead Gipsies, to me they are all Alive, I know I am strange to many, but I have a good heart and totally respect the opportunity of this chance in life of finding answers for not only myself but for all with an open heart, this below is the record of the book that talks of the record from 1781 cattistock, it is such a good book, I have read and tell you all to read all the writers words at the beginning of their books, this is where they speak from the Heart,  tis true I have found some are far from true, yet the more you find the more your mind expands, I could talk forever, but better for You to now Feel, so Good Luck to Everyone there will be only a few more posts and I will be done

EXTANT EPITAPHS.

GATHERED
By a commercial Traveller

in spare moments.

PUBLISEED BY REQUEST, 
LONDON:
F. MAIBEN, 131, ALDERSGATE STREET,

22, HARDINGE STREET,"ISLINGTON.
An original collection of
extant epitaphs August 1870

Frederick Maiben, Commercial traveller

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: Monday 16 October 17 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone

someone kindly sent me a link to a web site that talks of the History before the times I talk about, the life of Daniel Boswell, I feel honour bound and also think it is right for those who have not seen this web site to also be able to learn from the research of these Great Genealogy Experts, this is the link below, then I will put on another link which also as more information that some one also sent me, Richard on this research page talked to me about one day writing  up His research, well would you believe it I think He went and did it, this is in the seconed link , it is from the R.T.F H.S., below these two links I will just talk briefly about some things I have found, next I will start my final writings in a descending order for the Researchers of the next days.

this is the first link below about the history of Daniel Boswell from the web site Gypsy Genealogy
http://www.gypsygenealogy.com/showarticle.php?article_id=2

this is the  seconed link to the  R.T.F.H.S. web  site  http://rtfhs.org.uk/  if you look you will find the writings telling of the early years of the Boswell 1650 to 1810

Richard wrote this below

The Derbyshire Times, Sunday April 25th 1874 is the earliest source I can find which gives a description of the original stone:

"In Memory of Daniel Boswell, who died March 1827, Aged 83.
I have lodged in many a place 'tis true.
And traveled many a year,
Till God at length has brought me down
To my last lodgings here"

The age on that disagrees with all the other sources, 73, 76, 90! Your right that seems to show the original stone did not refer to him as a 'King' or a chief', nor did the parish register of the actual burial.

then i found these

Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser.
Wednesday 25 May1898

this is a most strange article, it is once again people writing back and forth to the paper, I will write the full account up on my final pages in the time scale of mine and Richards reseach, in the hope that future researchers may hopefully use this information.

well the article speaks not of Daniel Boswell but James buried in Selston, this is the Epitaph.

I have lodged its true in many a town,
and travelled many a year,
but death at length as brought me down,
To my last lodgings here.

the important bit here is the words "its true" remember from the above article "tis true".

then read this.

The Derbyshire Telegraph Thursday March 7 1912

Thomas Smith Recollections. Extract.

" I have lodged , tis true, in many a town;
I have travelled many a year;
but death at length as brought me down;
to my last lodgings here".

these are very important pieces of information on the history of the Epitaph, I have found several Epitaphs with the traditional lines that replicate the Cattistock Dorset one from 1781, but these above have the word "True" in them, were did these writers get there information from to use the word "True" all the other records do not show that word, but now I have found the traditional one without "True " in, from 1873, outdating what Richard found by a few months, you may think this could put a spanner in the research,  but Liston to this, on and in the same article which Richard found the writer goes on to say he was an eye witness and saw  another Epitaph, this bit is of most importance for he describes the grave stone and the Epitaph next to Daniel Boswells Grave Stone, no one else talks like this, when I go back to Selston and if I find the other grave stone with the name on it plus the Epitaph the writer is talking about , well this is good evidence to say he as a writer was really there and unlike lots of writers who just copy from other records and sometimes i am sorry to say but i think some just plain lie or make things up that may be a bit right but the writer is only thinking of his words in a selfish manner of his own day and no real love for the truth or the people of the next days, so if i find the other grave stone near to Daniel Boswells GraveStone,we will be able to place good truth in his words. it is not always how much you find or even the date, so many people write wrongly, in bad ways, even i am learning this, you must have an open mind and not be to wild in your conjecture, all sorts go through my mind in thinking this could be this way or maybe that is what may be the truth, but i will leave such things for the real Experts,

I have also been thinking about the word lodgings, well did  Gipsy people really lodge sometimes, instead of living in a tent, well I found Gipsies living in house's, from way back to, big names to, so they did also live in houses, then I found this article from the Nottingham Journal 26 0ctober 1866, it tells the sad tale of a Maria Boswell,  She died and was aged two, R.I.P, Her Mother travelled about the country, Her Husband was dead and the most sadness of story's , they may not be Gipsies but it is stated She "lodged in Towns" as She travelled making and hawking mats and things from old sugar bags, a very sad story indeed, so people who travelled were known to lodge, i am sure if i keep looking i could find more, but will just say I have read many many words of such sad story's, I will put everything together now , it may take a long time for me to write everything up, i do hope Someone will take over these words and bring the truth for all the Great Dead

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Sunday 22 October 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
 last night I was  reading the Journal of the Derbyshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, well I came across the epitaph, also it gave the dates, then I remembered back on page one of this thread, well the same journal was being written about, the date was 1896 but the journal I was reading was from 1897, so I looked at the 1896 journal and there was no reference to the Boswells, I reread this maybe four times end to end just in case I was wrong, I still could be wrong but I think  on page one of this thread the date could be wrong, this is very important be course people who look through these researchers  will be led astray and on finding the journal of 1896 and no writings of the Boswells, well they may then have no true faith in my other writings, I think a person should always point out honest mistakes, they to are all apart of Honest Genealogy, I will never forget Linda saying  how it was not right  that people write wrong dates, She found transcribed dates that did not reflect the truth, I think it could of come from the book by S. Fox. The Derbyshire Boswells, but to be truthful I can not remember if I am 100% right on this, Linda is a Direct Descendent of the Derbyshire Boswells, Genealogy as been a great experience, when I soon stop I will truly miss staying up late and thinking wow, look what I just found, that's one of the best times. 

this is the writing from page one I was talking about

"  The original stone, kicked in half by a cow, is said to have been devoid of any inscription, but I can't see how that can be as 'Blacks Guide to Nottinghamshire', published in 1876 contains a description of it with inscription, the same one that stands today "I've lodged in many a town, I've travelled many a year, But death at length hath brought me down to my last lodgings here..."
The current stone says 'Dan Boswell Gipsy King 1737 -1827'. The parish register of the actual burial conflicts with this, according to the transcriptions made by Julie Gerring at the Nottingham Family History Society he was buried on 18th March 1827 recorded as 'Daniel Bosswell, aged seventy six', abode: ' A Tent on Hall Green, Selston Common'.
In1896 the 'Journal of the Derbyshire Archaelogical Society' makes reference to him as ' Daniel Boswell, a king or chief of the Gipsy family of that name, who died on the 21st March, 1821, aged 73, in his tent on Hall Green, Selston Common'. Why this earlier source has his age, the date of burial and the year of burial different by six years I don't know, but the same information was evidently later used as a source in the 'Journal of the Gypsy Lore Society' in 1948, where identical information is given".

Then this is the Journal I was reading last night

Journal of the Derbyshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Edited by Rev. Charles Kerry. Rector of Upper Spondon Beds.
Vol.XIX January 1897
Printed for the Society by Bemrose & Sons, LTD, 23 Old Bailey, London and Derby.

In this book there is a vast list of members, honorary members, officers of the sectional committee, auditors, hon secretary, hon treasurer, plus the council, above all these is the vice president then at the head is the president the Duke of Rutland. K.G.
The Rev. Charles Kerry is in the Council. In the contents page 101 to 125, miscellanea, you will find the Rev. C. Kerry talking about wayside internments, isolated interments, Quaker cemetery’s plus the cantelupe monument Ilkeston, you will also read research of his in these words under the title of Gypsies - The Boswells. He says Daniel Boswell was a King or Chief and died on the 21st March 1821 aged 73, in his tent on Halls Green Selston Common. He writes the gravestone is broke but still may be seen and the epitaph is in characteristics.

“I've lodged its true in many a town,
But death at length has brought me down
To my last lodging here”.

Once again this epitaph as the word " True" wrote in the inscription, also the Rev. C. Kerry talks of a story told to him by the Rector of Ickelford Church, near Hitchin regarding a Gipsy king named Boswell, then he finishers with some words of the Rector of Morley the Rev. S. Fox. He tells of a wandering Gipsy named Samuel Boswell, the story from Ickelford and the epitaph are the same as the one wrote in my previous post, Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser. Wednesday 25 May1898, maybe the author or a friend had read the Derbyshire Journal 1897, yes in the full account of the Taunton Courier there is the same epitaph plus the story of Ickelford, there are so many variations of the epitaph, they all can not be "true".

Also wrote on page one of this thread was this............   'Blacks Guide to Nottinghamshire', published in 1876 containing a description of the epitaph, the same one that stands today

"I've lodged in many a town,
 But death at length hath brought me down to my last lodgings here..."

Well I think I have now traced  further back the origin of this epitaph with the word " hath" wrote in the inscription, I found it back a few more years, with good stories of the authors, I will put that on my next post,  also if anyone sees I have wrote information that they have seen differently I would be most grateful if you would correct my words, it is very important that I leave the truth when I soon stop writing, I thank you in advance.

michael

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: Sunday 05 November 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

does anyone know the correct meaning of "double dues" in relation to the Parish records. I also
finally think that Daniel Boswells Epitaph was not original to Himself, read below, if somone would help me in this reserch, I would be most grateful. 

Wigan Observer and District Advertiser
Saturday 2 September 1905
Betty Marshall known as “ The Donkey Queen” died last week, at Southport Sands, She was not the only local Centenarian. According to the Parish register, in the Churchyard may be found the Gravestone of Husband and wife, who’s joint ages reached two centuries. On it is inscribed
Esther Sherlocker, Died Sep 1786
Robert Sherlocker Died April 16 1802 aged 101 years
Below is the Epitaph

I lodged have in many a town.
And travelled many a year.
But age and death have brought me down.
To my last lodging here.

Throughout 1905 there are articles concerning the fact that Betty Marshall was a Centenarian, then very tragically the sad news of Her sad end. She was born just outside Southport on St Swithins Day 12 August 1804, From the register at Hasall Church. She was Christened Elizabeth Marshall Daughter of Betty and John Wright. She married Thomas Marshall. She was credited with being the very first Person to bring and ply for hire Donkeys  along the Southport shore.   

Annals Of Southport And District:
A Chronological History Of North Meols   
A.D.1086 to 1886.
By E. BlAND. Southport October 1887
  1786____September. Died, aged 99, Esther Sherlocker. sixteen year’s later April 16 1802, Her Husband Died, aged 101.Thus their united age covered two centuries. They were “Travellers”, as is proved by the fact that at the funerals, “double dues” were paid.
They were dealers in rabbit skins. On their Gravestone is inscribed:-

“I  lodged have in many a town,
And travelled many a year;
But age and death have brought me down

There is an article in a book named the Marina which goes by the title.     
  A Walk through Southport, by P. Whittle.
 It mentions that many of the gravestones reflect the longevity of the Town.
Esther Sherlocker died sept.1786, aged 99 yeares.
Robert  Sherlocker, died April 16, 1802, aged 101 years.
This book was published in 1831, I have now found the article was taken from a paper in the year 1823 Tuesday 8 July
THE KALEIDOSCOPE or Literary and Scientific Mirror.
Also in the year 1826, 29 of May, there was a book published, second addition,
A Guide to Southport, by Thomas Kirkland Glazebrook.
Exstract
“Stronger proof cannot be adduced of the salubrity  of this neighbourhood, than a reference to the instances of longevity recorded on the tombstones”.
Esther Sherlocker, Died sept. 1786 aged 99 years’.
Robert Sherelocker,__April.16, 1802__101 yeares.
It is then written that this Man travelled “ many a year” selling rabbit skins, and had saved and bought property. The writer then says “the verse on his grave_stone alludes to this circumstance”.

I lodged have in many a town,
But age and death have brought me down,
To my last lodging here.

Also in 1836 Edward Baines in his book named
History of the county Palatine and Dutchy of Lancaster talks of the aged population of North Meols, again the Sherlockers are the main talking point.
In the Online Parish Records of Lancaster there is a vast history of these Familys above. 
Burial 2 Sep 1786 St Cuthbert,
North Meols, Lancs.
Esther Sherlicar_
Abode Scarbrick
Notes Double Dues

Buriel 16 April 1802 St Cuthbert's,
North Meols, Lancs,
Robert Sherlicar_
Died 15 April 1802
Age 101
Abode Halsal
This below looks like the full account on the gravestone, it is from the  web site   
The Sholicar pages the Origin and History of the Sholicar
https://sholicar.wordpress.com/welcome-to-the-sholicar-pages/sholicars-join-here/
Extract
The Shirlacker/Shirlackers entries all related to one family group, headed by Laurence Shirlacker. His son, Robert, was a travelling rabbit dealer. Both he and Easter or Esther lived to a great age and their gravestone reads:

Here lieth Jennet
the Daughter of
Robert Sherlocker
She Died the 9 of July 1710
Here lieth the Body of
Easter Sherlocker who
departed this life the of
September 1786 Aged 99 years
Robert Sherlocker died
April 10th 1802 Aged 101
I lodged have in many in a town,
But Age & Death have brought me down
To my last lodging here.

In 1830, William Henney wrote yet another edition of a series of books named
Moral and Interesting Epitaphs, now read this.

On a Traveller
I, that have lodged in many a town,
And travelled many a year,
By age and death am beaten down,
To take my lodging here;
And lay my weary limbs at rest.
Till Christ does call me to be blest.

read this link below, it is from the London Quarterly Review 1839, American Edition. I wonder did Daniel Boswell really lodge from town to town. I do hope someone will be able to offer help, I am looking for information from 1820s through till the 1860s regarding  Daniel Boswell.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3YEfAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA197&lpg=RA1-PA197&dq=i,+that+have+lodged+in+many+a+town,+and+travelled+many+a+year,&source=bl&ots=Lh-NpPsToG&sig=RumMrcvg1qbRjcYPU0IsuKBct6U&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-hYPnwqDXAhUnCcAKHcJiBbwQ6AEIUzAG#v=onepage&q=i%2C%20that%20have%20lodged%20in%20many%20a%20town%2C%20and%20travelled%20many%20a%20year%2C&f=false

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: Thursday 28 December 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello to Everyone at RootsChat, i do hope you all had a Merry Christmas, plus a Happy and Prosperous New Year. I thought i would finish my writings for this year, with a Wedding, i am trying to learn, i ask a lot of questions, like who are the Boswell's, which Family's are they Related to, or evan if they are all Related to themselves, as in how does Daniel Boswell connect to all the many Family's, to be truthful i am still in the dark, i was reading about the Heaps who are connected to the Boswell's, i was reading through the link below from the Web Site the Gypsy Genealogy, it is a nice article, i have seen records of Heaps married with the Wilshers, Wilshaws , Wiltshires. Lee once wrote to me and said, " In this day the Names you speak of are still going Strong, only the Gipsies know Names of the Old Family's ".  " In the past only a few Gipsies would speak, it was only a few who the writers learned from, most stayed silent." i do not think records alone tell evan half the story of who new who, the truth may be lost forever, we can but try.
He once told the story of long ago, told by Old Relations, "the Oldest of all the Romany's were round a camp fire, they all were talking in the Old Words, but all of a sudden the Herons talked among themselves, in a dialect and way that others felt a sort of shame for they did not understand this Old Way, so they all up and left the fire side to the Herons".

I hope again that these writings will be of help, Good Luck for the New Year, Leahcim.

http://www.gypsygenealogy.com/showarticle.php?article_id=100

Nottingham Journal
Saturday 25 April 1863

Harworth  http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/harworth/hlocn.php
               http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/harworth/hpics.php
Gipsy Wedding_ This quiet little village, on Monday last, was the scene of great attractions, having been announced that a Gipsy wedding would take place at 11 o'clock that morning. The banns of the happy pair, who were camping in the neighborhood, had been duly published in Harworth Church, and the names given, Goliah Heaps and Matilda Elliott, the latter being Cousin of Holmes, the noted horse dealer. At the time appointed the Village seemed alive to what was about to take place, work rested for a while, and many sight_seeing strangers suddenly made their appearance so that the road from the inn to the church was thickly hoed with a mass of persons. Meantime, the respected Curate, the Rev. R. R. Moore, was waiting at the alter, when it was heard," they are coming". Immediately every available place was taken up, and the Church was so crowded that the Bridal party could scarcely pass. In a few moments, a young healthy, well_built Woman, made her appearance before the alter, accompanied by her Father, and followed by her Sister and her intended, a fine looking fellow, she was neatly attired in a spotted muslin dress with scarf to match, white silk bonnet, black kid boots, and a bunch of flowers in her hand, the men wore black cloth, white flowers and gloves, and appeared very respectable. At the close of the ceremony, it was found that none of the party could either read nor write. After a few moments delay, they steadily withdrew, followed by a great company of people,. Leaving the Church-Yard a complete shower of old boots and shoes were seen flying in all directions, but to heighten the scene, two men walked close behind the party playing a merry tune with-tin whistles, till they arrived at the Galway Arms,
http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCN003103&pos=2&action=zoom
http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCN003095&pos=19&action=zoom&id=75071
http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCN003085&pos=29&action=zoom&id=75028
where and hot dinner of roast beef and plum pudding was provided for fourteen. The remainder of the day was spent in merry making, during the evening crowds of people visited the Inn, to catch a glimpse of the party.  Such occurrence of a Gipsy wedding as never been known to take place in Harworth before, so says that mysterious personage the oldest inhabitant. At an early hour the next day, the camp broke on, the Bridal party going Westward and the other Eastward.
http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCN003083&pos=31&action=zoom&id=75026
in the link below it tells of the end of the Galway Arms

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj6-KLixq3YAhVlK8AKHemjDxkQFggsMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.harworthbrass.co.uk%2Fbandhistory.html&usg=AOvVaw18fl-dLqfvOe2RvosHygOd

just a few Extracts below to show Relatives, this Great Gipsy Family

Derby Courier 1 April 1865
Eckington Petty Sessions- Extract
 Two Hawker Elliott and Heaps-charged with stealing the carcass of a dead sheep.

Derby Mercury 3 May 1865
Coroners Inquest- Extract
Sarah Heaps,  Gipsy, called up as a witness, Sarah said she lived with her Sister Father and Mother at Heage, they are lodging with her cousin George Heaps.

In 1861-62 in several papers , Priscilla Heaps, Gipsy Fortuneteller, on the run, for in 1856 She duped the wife of a farmer out of 43 pounds, she told the woman the money was bewitched, the answer was to hand over the money, Priscilla was at-large until November 61, in 62 She now faced the Court.   R.I.P  x

Happy New Year 

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: Sunday 21 January 18 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
i would be most obliged if someone would be able to read through my research below and hopeful offer their kind help, these are only extracts, i try to fit it all in to one page, i thank you in advance.

This letter was written to the Derbyshire Times on 7th June 1873: W. A. does not know the inscription.

Dan Boswell - 'When a lad at Pinxton some twenty years ago, I recollect having pointed out to me on Selston Common, not far distant from the Hall, the place where the Gipsy King Dan Boswell died. He was buried at the back of Selston Church, and a headstone placed to his memory. I regret to say owing to the shameful practice of allowing cows to graze in the churchyard, one of the animals broke in two the stone. When I saw it one half was left in the ground and the other part not far distant. I presume it is not possible to obtain a copy of the inscription of the stone, Any particulars relating to Boswell will greatly Oblige' W.A. 

Richard researched this below

"A bit of a detective work shows the only lad with those initials in the village was a William Alcock born 1830, three years after Dan's burial. He later became a gas works manager, so probably was a literate man, and I would guess he is the best candidate for the man who wrote this letter".

Richard wrote "The Derbyshire Times, Sunday April 25th 1874 is the earliest source I can find which gives a description of the original stone".

"In Memory of Daniel Boswell, who died March 1827, Aged 83.
I have lodged in many a place 'tis true.
And traveled many a year,
Till God at length has brought me down
To my last lodgings here"

So W.A. does not know the inscription in 73, yet in the Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald 27 June 1874 under the Title Gipsy Epitaphs and Burials.
A writer wrote-" A Mr. Andrews  gave some time ago [i can not now give the reference] an epitaph, taken from Selstone Church Yard on Dan Boswell the Gipsy King".

in the Bradford Observer Saturday 14 November 1874 under the title Boswell the Gipsy King, is wrote this

" The remarks in your issue of June 13 remind me that in Selstone Churchyard, Notts, the remains of Dan Boswell, the head of a well known gang of gipsies are interred. His epitaph runs as follows:-

"  I've lodged in many a town,
i have traveled many a year,
but death at length hath brought me down,
To my last lodgings here". W.A.

In 1874 there was a book written, edited by  Cornelius Brown, titled Notes about Notts,  on page 128 under the title, Eccentric Epitaphs, is wrote

Selstone Church yard is the burial place of Old Dan Boswell, the head of a well known gang of gipsies, who were frequently in the neighborhood. A lady tells us. She can remember the tribe encamping on the common, and also the marriage of one of his daughters in true gipsy fashion on the occasion of one of their visits, when her father the king of the gipsies, presented her with a quarten measure of either sovereigns or guineas as a marriage dowry.
The epitaph is as follows:

"   I've lodged in many a town,
  I've traveled many a year,
but death at length hath brought me down,
to my last lodging here".

Cornelius Brown works for the Nottinghamshire Guardian, where he speaks of getting a numerous amount of material for the content of this book, i like his mind, in the preface is wrote.

" Not only in every County, but almost every Village of any size, has connected with its bye-gone days numerous interesting circumstances, and to investigate and collect this is at once a labour of usefulness  and a work of pleasure".
He quotes a favorite writer from the past. "To elucidate local history in the manner in which it ought to be elucidated is to rescue the worthy from oblivion; to delineate the changes of manners and the progress of arts; to call back to the fancy the pomp and spender of ages that are gone; to restore the ruined castle; to re-people the deserted mansion; and to bid for a moment the grave to render back its inhabitants to the fond eye of regret".

so i looked up the Nottinghamshire Guardian and there on Friday 1 August 1873 in a letter sent to the local notes and Queries column by a lady of the name, S.A. Cotterill, the letter She wrote is the same story and epitaph as the one above from the book, so this now is the oldest as yet known date and epitaph that i know of, there is the one from 74 with " Tis true" wrote and now in 73 we have "Hath", who W.A. is i do not know, somebody must at some stage be just not telling the truth,
if any one would help me to understand and go further back i would be most grateful, these are just extracts there is much more information in the fuller accounts.
Dont forget 'Blacks Guide to Nottinghamshire', published in 1876 contains a description

"I've lodged in many a town,
 But death at length hath brought me down
to my last lodgings here..."

also the Journal of the Derbyshire Archaeological and Natural History Society
Edited by Rev. Charles Kerry.
Vol.XIX January 1897
 Daniel Boswell was a King or Chief and died on the 21st March 1821 aged 73, in his tent on Halls Green Selston Common. He writes the gravestone is broke but still may be seen.     
Inscription below

“I've lodged its true in many a town,
But death at length has brought me down

herrm..... "tis the Truth hath brought me here". Leahcim