Author Topic: Gipsy Dan Boswell  (Read 163059 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gipsy Dan Boswell
« Reply #450 on: Saturday 27 January 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone

Would it be at all possible if some kind person would please look up on the census records the name of a supposed Lady.... S.A.COTTERILL. She was said to be from around the Selston ways, it is of the most importance. First i would like to explain this research. I am at present attempting to travel back from the year 1873, this as been an hard task, i  acquaint  this to the  so-called, dark ages of Britain, the times after the Romans, yet before the Normans, evan the Angles and Saxons, they say these times are of the savage Vikings, yet now scholars write that the dark age of Britain possess-est day as well as night, much is being found from the research of Scholars of the present day, i to wish to find the truth if indeed there is a time before 1873 regarding the Epitaph and more the life of Daniel Boswell.

There are two main protagonists that at this time i have seen as "persons of interest", one is the eminent Journalist and Author,  Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and also Vise- President of the Thornton Society of Nottinghamshire. His name is one Cornelius Brown, he wrote the book "Notes about Notts" " A Collection of Singular Saying, Curious Customs, Eccentric Epitaphs and Interesting Items, Historical and Antiquarian. Edited by Cornelius Brown, Fellow of the Royal Historical Society Nottingham: T. Forman and Sons, Long Row 1874.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/Brown1896/brown.htm

If you now re-read my last post you will know that  Cornelius was the Editor of the "Notes and Queries" columns in the Nottinghshire Guardian Newspaper, there he received a letter from a Lady telling of the Inscription Epitaph of Daniel Boswell, the person being S.A.COTTERILL 1873, this then intern found its way into Mr. Browns book, "Notes about Notts", 1874.

If you again re-read my last post you will see in the Bradford Observer Saturday 14 November 1874 under the title "Boswell the Gipsy King", ............ below are the words.

" The remarks in your issue of June 13 remind me that in Selstone Churchyard, Notts, the remains of Dan Boswell, the head of a well known gang of gipsies are interred. His epitaph runs as follows:-

"  I've lodged in many a town,
i have traveled many a year,
but death at length hath brought me down,
To my last lodgings here". W.A.

I think you may agree that "W.A." may well have obtained his knowledge from either the Book above or evan from the letter sent to the Nottinghamshire Gardian 1873, this below is the writing in the book.

"Selstone Church yard is the burial place of Old Dan Boswell, the head of a well known gang of gipsies, who were frequently in the neighborhood. A lady tells us. She can remember the tribe encamping on the common, and also the marriage of one of his daughters in true gipsy fashion on the occasion of one of their visits, when her father the king of the gipsies, presented her with a quarten measure of either sovereigns or guineas as a marriage dowry".
The epitaph is as follows:

"   I've lodged in many a town,
  I've traveled many a year,
but death at length hath brought me down,
to my last lodging here".

I have a strong suspicion that W.A is the one and only William Andrews, Fellow of the Royal History Society, Secretary of the Hull Literary Club, Chief Librarian of the Hull Subscription Library, Honory Secretary of the press Postal League, and amongst other things "Member of the Derbyshire Archaelogical and Natural History Society".
He is a most prolific writer.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Andrews%2C%20William%2C%201848-1908

I will show everyone in my next post, more perceived evidence of how i think these two great Writers link up in the story of the Epitaph, but first if someone would help in tracing S.A. COTTERILL, we must confirm the letter as genuine, does a S.A. COTTERILL exist from 1873 around  Selston Nottinghamshire.

ps. remember if you are able to help, first you must know that S.A.COTTERILL may be the Ladys  married name, and She may be writing about Selston of the times of when She was young, and Her maiden name is unknown, plus She may now be living in a different location, wow, Genealogy is not an easy task..... Good Luck, if there is no reply i will keep on trying

pps.... Dont forget in the pagers of the Derbyshire Times on 7th June 1873: W. A. was the first person......... "as of yet", who started all the talk of an Epitaph, he claimed then to be seeking it, on 14 November 1874 after S.A.COTTERILLS letter and the writings in the book he then spoke of the Epitaph in the Bradford Observer with the "Hath" wrote into the words, yet in the Derbyshire Times, on Saturday 27 June 1874, the writer said he was replying to a Mr. Andrews from 7th June 1873, yet the letter he was replying to was signed W.A. yet he referred to the writer as Mr. Andrews. there was also the letter in the same columns with the inscription  "tis true ", wrote 25 April 1874, signed S.L. It is possible that the writer referring to a Mr. Andrews on 27 June 1874, , was  referring to S.L. which would place S.L. as Andrews. In the present day on the Gypsy Genealogy web site of this very month it mentions Daniel Boswell, read the link below and learn all about His life plus check the dates against the dates i have researched...Its a very good website.
http://www.gypsygenealogy.com/showarticle.php?article_id=277 

michael

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: Sunday 28 January 18 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Lets just say W.A. or William Andrews was just a local person replying to is local paper in the notes and queries columns, nothing at all strange about that, yet i have found many letters sent into the papers of Nottinghamshire , Derbyshire, and Yorkshire, all with the Name William Andrews or W.A. it is of my opinion that William Andrews of Hull as the mind of a Great Collector, a colossus of a Writer. In the Nottinghamshire Guardian 28 November 1873 Cornelius Brown being the stated Editor of the columns of the "notes and queries" spoke these words in written form about a man he had knowledge of.

Popular Antiguities_Mr. William Andrews Hull, a contributor to this column and to various publications, was preparing a miscellany of popular antiquities of Yorkshire, under the title of the Yorkshire Garland. As Mr. Andrews as long been an active worker in rescuing from oblivion customs of bygone days, and thoes which are rapidly dying out, we have no doubt that he would do justice to the work which he has undertaken. We trust that any of our contributors who have any notices likely to be of service to Mr. Andrews, will communicate them to him at 14 Spring Bank Hull, and we have no doubt he will acknowledge any assistance in his forth coming volume.

I could write up many many letters of William Andrews and also W.A regarding many subjects in the notes and queries columns in several County Shires. I do not think i have to go on to much about that, yet it is strange how he never puts Dan Boswell's Epitaph in his book, he wrote in the Deryshire Times on the same day as the reports i write of, he talked much, and often asked many questions regarding Epitaphs in several papers, the writings are all there in the papers for future researches to locate, he was only at the start of his long career as an author way back in the time of the letters, he was but a young man, plus i think he liked to see the inscription with his own eyes, if i remember right he was evan wrote about in one paper as being in London to eye witness an Epitaph of interest, this story also could go in several directions, i may to, be making mistakes, this is the book below without the Epitaph.

Curious Epitaphs Collected from the Graveyards of Britain and Ireland, with Biographical, Genealogical, and Historical Notes.
by William Andrews F.R.H.S Member of the Derbyshire Achaelogical and Natral History Society.
Secretary of the Hull Literary Club.
Local Secretary of the National Society for the Preserving the Memorials of the Dead.
Author of " Historic Romance",
" Punishments in Older Times",
" Book of Oddities",
" Histories of the Dunmow Flitch",
etc.

Mr. Andrews then writes in his book a dedication to the Duke of Devonshire, he signs this with the title W.A.
He also signs his Name on another page as William Andrews October 1 1883.

This below is the full letter from S.A.COTTERRILL, Nottinghamshire Guardian Notes and Queries, Friday 1 August 1873.

Dan Boswell- In a recent impression of the Guardian, i saw an item on Old Dan Boswell, and the writer it would appear would like the Epitaph. I being born and brought up not far from Selstone- indeed i can see the old hall from where i live- have been quite familiar with it all my life. My Mother as told us She can remember the Tribe encamping on the common, and also the marriage of one of his Daughters in true gipsy fashion on the occasion of one of their vissits, when Her Father, the king of the gipsies, presented Her with a quarten of sovereigns or guineas, i have forgoten which, as a marriage dowry.I thought i would send the Epitaph, if it would be any pleasure for your correspondent to know it. S.A.COTTERILL.

[ Replies have been received from " R.K.," and also from another correspondent who emitted to sign his name."R.K. adds that none of the Boswells prosterity are in the Selston Parish_ED.]

I have not been able to trace the recent impression that S.A.COTTERILL was referring to, also i now see through re-reading these words She speaks of still being in seeing distance of the old hall, so She must be in the Census from Selston in the times we are talking about. i will next put on the full letters in order of the Derbyshire Times that i write of in the previous post, if nothing comes of this i will move on to try and adapt this research, i will be looking for the Older Camp Sites around Nottingham, you never know, i find if you locate something that to some meens nothing well something then comes of nothing.

Leahcim

ps I await all and any reply's with the utmost gratitude, especially correction in any form, that would be most welcome for i feel shamed when i know i get things wrong or tangled around my neck... i thank you in-advance.

pps Cornelius Brown wrote of Dan Boswell in his Epitaph book yet William Andrews in his own Epitaph book did not, W.A. would not let a single fact go astray, he new of all the talk of Daniel Boswell from the Seventy's, why would he miss him out, there are two letters of these times reguarding an eye witness account of the Inscription, the one above from  S.A.COTTERRILL, Nottinghamshire Guardian Notes and Queries, Friday 1 August 1873, with the word"hath" wrote, and the one from The Derbyshire Times, Sunday April 25 1874 with the words "tis true " wrote, they both cannot be right, i will put the full letter up of 25 April 1874  next.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

is there anyone who could confirm that these Cotterills below who are in the reports from Selston St Marys in the years that lead up to the times of the letters to the papers, also i have read Daniel Boswells first name as in Daniel was never passed down, if there is other Boswells in future yeares after the times of Selston maybe their names and storys could be worked backwards to try and find more information, so i put a few names up i found, if in any way anybody knows of any link back to Nottinghamshire i would thank you for your welcome advice,

I have to try several ways to try and go back further than 1873, it may evan be true that in the begining there never was an Epitaph, if there was one, well, someone is telling big lies as i have shown through the "two" main Epitaphs, both can not be true, this is why i must confirm the Cotterills as genuine, W.A may well be William Andrews, William Andrews may well be "Juba 2" the famouse writer who along with William Andrews and W.A. are to be found in the same Notes and Queries collunms that i am researching, Juba was the name of a Free Man of great ability, did you know he was born in America and fused African dance with that of the Irish fiddle jig dancing, it is said all modern types of tap dancing derive its origen from the Man known as Juba, it is wrote that he joined the Black and White Minstrels troupe of Dancers who were White men who had their faces blackend to look like Black men, becourse he was the greatest Dancer on earth they wanted him to jion their dancing troupe, but they made him first put makeup on to look like a White Man then put makeup on to make him look like a White Man trying to look like a Black Man, Juba came over to England and travelled much, he danced around this Country and was known in the local papers, he died in London in the 1850s, i am honestly just guessing, was W.A also "Juba2" also William Andrews, did W.A, who like the real Juba, change is face as in name, to find the answers in the struggles they both encounted in their own endeavors, we will see. http://masterjuba.com/

Selston St. Helen's Marriage Register 1557 -1846   

1812 Dec 30 SWINDEL Thomas COTTRILL Mary
 1813 Feb 8 COTTRELL William HALLSWORTH Sarah
  1832 Jan 1 COOKE John COTTERILL Mary     
1833 Nov 17 ALLCOCK John COTTRILL Mary
1844 Dec 10 BOOTH William COTTERILL Elizabeth
1846 Jul 12 BREEDON Samuel COTTERILL Elizabeth

When you first read this report below you may instantly think Dan Boswell could well be a Gipsy, yet on reading what the Constable went on to say, well I think the jury is still out; so now this is the time when you need the acquired skill to navigate the appropriate census reports to conclude your assumptions

Dudley Mercury, Stourbridge, Brierley Hill and County Express
Saturday 27 April 1889 Extract
Daniel Boswell of Cherry Tree Orchard, Old Hill, was charged with being drunk in charge of an horse and cart……..Police Constable Styles spoke of seeing the defendant drunk in his masters cart.

In the story below you would be also right to be cautious

Wells Journal
Thursday 24 December 1908
Somerset Extract
Daniel Boswell of Radstock summoned for allowing his horse to stray

Truthfully I left one word out deliberately to show you many times there is more information that is left out in quotes or extracts, they state in the record Dan Boswell is a Gipsy.

In the record below you again could fall for an honest assessment and think that of course this Dan Boswell is a Gipsy, once again consult the census records, or ask for help.
Bedfordshire Mercury
Saturday 4 February 1871

Daniel Boswell up for poaching.

On this record below you have to be very careful and you must try and learn the full bigger picture, there is a good chance that this Dan Boswell is from the Gipsies, in extracts so much information is left out, below see how it says Latymer Road Notting Hill, I am sure that is an area where Gipsies lived back in the times of this stated report, by using knowledge from previous research you may also think to that you would be right to have an honest Guess at this one, evan if this Dan Boswell turns out to be not from the Gipsies don’t worry for an honest guess is a true guess.

West London Observer
Saturday 1 December 1855 Extract
In the report it goes on to talk of two Tinker Brothers of Latymer Road Notting Hill, who are on their way home and singing some old tune to themselves, a gang of Irish labourers on hearing the happy Brothers now call them insulting names, the Boswells rise to the challenge and confront the mob, saying they could do the Irish, but alas the Irish gang attack them with many weapons and they end up getting a bit of a kicking, it would of been best for them to have just gone home, but when you’re up for it your up for it, fair play it sounds like they had a good go, their names were James Boswell and Daniel Leary Boswell.

There is a Daniel Boswell and a Adam Small plus James Deary up for being Disorderly, this is in the Norwich Mercury Saturday 27 October 1832
You again would be right to link the Small name and Boswell name as of the Gipsies, but I think this is only about a ninety to ten chance and evan less than that, this is what you would be right to call a long shot.

Offline LockeRoots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Michael
I wish to tell you that you have done a fantastic job in sharing so much history with us, thank you!

As you know, it is said that the Lock / Locke family originated from the Boswell family, so all your posts about the Boswell family is absolutely fascinating to me.

We know through Y DNA evidence that 17 Lock / Locke men are a 67 marker Y DNA match to 3 men of the Boswell / Jackson surname, so the oral and written stories telling us there is a biological connection between both family's is absolutely true.

I know your primary focus is on Boswell family history, but I got a real history mystery that I can not seem to resolve on my own and why I am reaching out to you, I hope you don't mind.

My immigrant ancestor Richard Lock is first named in a 1763 Frederick County, Virginia land deed lease. On the land deed lease, names Richard Lock, Mary Lock and Richard Lock Jr. to lease a track of land on a 10 year contract with the option to live on the farm for as long as they wished.

In order for a son to be named on a land deed, means the son had to have been age 21 or older in that time era, so we know the son Richard Lock Jr. was at least age 21 in 1763 when the deed was signed. This puts an estimated birth date of around 1742 for Richard Lock Jr, or earlier.

Not to many years ago, after a 30 year search by me, a family bible was finally located, the family bible of Rev. Jacob Lock, a Baptist Minister of Barren County, Kentucky, son of Richard Lock & Mary ( maiden name unknown to me ).

Rev. Jacob Lock is believed to be the 1st generation born on American soil, in Colonial Virginia.

In Rev. Jacob's family bible, was a British record. My great Aunt and her first cousin both told me the same story about the family bible and of the British record, but they were both children when the bible and record was found in 1930 in Fannin County, Honey Grove, Texas USA.

Oral family story says the entire family got excited at the news of the family bible having been found in the house hold of my 3rd great grand father, George Simon "Sims" Locke after his death in 1930.
One oral story says George's son John Henry Locke took the British record to a lawyer to get advice on what to do with that record, and reportedly the lawyer stole the record, never to be seen again.

Another oral story says, someone stole the record and destroyed it.

What ever happened to the British record we may never know, I only know that the record has not been seen since 1935! What ever this record was, it had to be personal and important to the descendants of Richard Lock to have kept the record in the family bible for generations.

It could be claimed that the oral stories I was told in my youth are incorrect or never happened, BUT! I have a letter from the Royal Courts of London dated the 5th of April, 1935 to John H. Locke of Honey Grove, Texas.

In the response from the Royal Court and I will transcribe the response letter for you.

Sir
Referring to your letter of the 21st ult. addressed to the English Chancery I regret I am unable to trace any proceedings in the Chancery Division from the information given by you.
If you will let me have the date when the proceedings were instituted whereby the property referred to came under the control of the court, I will cause a further search to be made.

Your obedient servant
F. C. Alloway

While the record hasn't been seen since 1935, the response

Now the response letter gives me two clues, that what ever the record was about, may have involved the Chancery Division, and it was mentioned that property came under control of the court.
But I can not find any such court record about Richard Lock having had property being taken control by the court.

If this record could be found, it just may explain why Richard Lock ended up in Colonial Virginia when he did. I have always suspected Richard Lock to have gotten in to some kind of legal trouble, and may have even been transported to the colonies as a convict, but the earliest record I can lay my hands on is the 1763 land deed lease.

Richard Lock Sr. is easily 2 generations older then Matthew Lock whom married Rememberance Boswell. Richard Lock was already in Colonial Virginia before the birth of Matthew Lock.

If you or anyone happens to find mention of Richard Lock in the UK court records, I sure would appreciate you sharing that information with me.

Thanks for your time, and please keep up the great work you are doing.
Donald Locke
Lock / Locke unofficial single surname study.

Admin. of the Locke Y DNA project which includes the Lock surname.
Admin. of the Lock / Locke Genealogy & DNA facebook page.

Y DNA participant of Group 2 in the Locke DNA project.
Y Haplogroup H- M82 ( H-BY67262 )

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: Sunday 06 November 22 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don
  Thank you for your kind letter, i am through DNA related to the American Coopers Wharton's  Baileys Harrisons Smalls Boswells Palmer's Jewell's Joules Jeffery's Young's Wells Stanley's Pearce's and more in respect, several times to in adjoining names over several generations, in England the names though DNA are Scamp Boss Mathews Burtons Buckley's Buckland then Lee from Wales and England plus the Jones Gardiners Allen's Beanies Ayers Booths Sheriffs Boyling's Boiling's Hodgkin's Loveridge Charlotts Winters Nelsons Knights Wilshers and Holmes,  plus many more in respect, then from Europe i have now Nearly 50 east European Romany who are descendant from my ancestors, not one of them have a drop of British DNA yet through DNA they are my cousins in DNA, i have of now over one thousand Gipsy connections through the cousin sequence that ancestry say is true, i have a massive connection to America, that means that my DNA predates the late 1800s, there is much more i could say but i want you to know that you have done good, what will they think of me and you in thirty years' time when we are both gone, they will say we are different people from different continents from different family's yet through DNA we connected in our different ways of researching

Don the Smiths are a great family that i suppose you never have known in America i am also related through DNA to them plus Herons from the north east and the Hearns Herons from Wales and the Grays plus the Lovell's who i seem to be connected to many times like the Dark Lees married to the Mochins connected to the Herons who i match to, also through DNA, you can see how DNA connects to the old family trees that the old scholars wrote, 

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: Sunday 06 November 22 17:41 GMT (UK) »
 also, Don I am related to the Jackson Boswells through the cousin sequence, maybe a few times to, also do you know of the Lees from Wales, some went to Ireland, Paulines lot and William, plus i am related to the Blackpool Lot, the Bunces, they now are in Australia, they match to me they are from Alma Boswells lot, wow i know it seems unreal but it's true. i have several Boswells DNA matches from Wales to the north all across the sea to America, how and why is a mystery far greater than i can think, i have several DNA matches to the Gloucestershire region with names like Stevens Stevensons Davis and names like that they have lots of the Locks going back in their linage i will check and see if one of them have a lock going back to the 1600s, i am only a scrag end to, all the DNA matches comes through my Mother, you have all that straight down the male line Y DNA with H in it, everyone i guess would want that in some form to identify with the old Romany, i truthfully never give  such things a thought, in fact i still find it hard to believe how Ancestry say most of my Ethnicity in England is from the south east and then the south i never ever thought i would connect to all those English Gipsy descendants from these regions, how can this be, how do i connect to the south when i am from the midlands, i like reading into all my match's trees, some of them have Gipsy family's on both sides to, for generations going back hundreds of years, if i have all the connections that i do just imagine how many they must have, the European Gipsy's have far more DNA that connects them to India through ethnicity you can see all the country's that their ancestors stayed in, you learn so much history by researching your DNA match's history, there must of been several old time Romany's that must Criss cross my Mothers old family at times to connect me to all those European Gipsy's not one of them have British DNA yet ancestry say they connect to me nearly 50 of them to, most of them have about 30 to 40% Indian Ethnicity they do not mention if they have the H DNA in them i bet it's about the same 30 to 40 % you can see how they lived the old Romany's in several countries over hundreds of years they must of been breeding in with all the peoples they met along the way, and now Ancestry is finding other regions in India not just the north of those lands, places like the Bengal and the south lands of India are showing up in many Gipsy descendants DNA, you never know the first people who went onto be Romany may have first came from the Bengal region, only time will reveal that which is still unknown, their first way of speaking may have been different to the Sanskrit their first language may have just been absorbed into those that came from the north of India, their still could be clues in the old words of the Romany's, some of the old words may come from regions not of the north of India just like the DNA that Ancestry is now finding, it may predate what people think as the beginning, it really is interesting to learn of such things.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: Sunday 06 November 22 18:09 GMT (UK) »
 good luck Don, look after yourself, believe it or not you have done a fantastic job, you are a credit to your Locke's, in a hundred years' time they will be speaking of you, well done Don you are a amazing fellow

Leahcim

Offline LockeRoots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: Wednesday 09 November 22 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leahcim

I can confirm through Y DNA that both the Boswell and Lock / Locke men share the same Y chromosome, which is clearly evident in the Y Haplogroup H DNA project.

Two of the Boswell male Y DNA participants are a 62/67 marker match to me with 5 marker mutations between us.
A third Boswell / Jackson Y DNA participant is a 61/67 marker match to me with 6 marker mutations between he and I.

I strongly believe the Boswell to Lock / Locke connection to be a bit of an older connection then has been claimed. The Lock surname was already in use before the birth of Matthew Lock.
My immigrant ancestor Richard Lock is easily 2 generations older then Matthew Lock, in fact Richard Lock was already in Colonial Virginia by 1763 or earlier and had adult children by 1763.

Some day, some year, I am hoping the Y Haplogroup H DNA project gets enough donations to be able to upgrade one of the Boswell Y DNA participants to the Big Y 700 test. I have already Big Y 700 tested and it would be darn interesting to see a Boswell upgrade too, to see how we match up with the most expensive testing there is.

I know most of the family's you speak of through the paper records research, though I have never met any of them personally. Outside of the Locke family, my closest connection to another Romany family is to the Ingram family of Pittsylvania County, Virginia mid 1700's era. My 5th great grand parents are Stephen Dennison and Elizabeth Ingram, both of Pittsylvania County, Virginia.

The Ingram Y DNA participants are also in Y Haplogroup H-M82 and are a closer Y DNA match to the Smith Y DNA participants.

I was once told by a well known Romany historian that the Romany whom were transported over seas as convicts, that is where their story ends and through my research, I am proving transportation was not the end of their story, their story picks right back up in the American Colonies whom not only survived the boat ride, but ended up being freed and thrived in the colonies and raised family's of their own.

Y Haplogroup H-M82 with the DYS425=0 null mutation is so distinct and unique, that no one can confuse a Y DNA participant in Y Haplogroup H-M82 with the DYS425=0 null mutation as being anything other then being of Romany ancestry.

We are in fact living proof Romany of the UK ended up in the American Colonies late 1600's - 1700's era. So it isn't just a historical account, or an oral story, our male Y chromosome is so distinctive and unique that we are living proof that history actually took place which lead to the oral stories many of you know about.

I brought up Richard Lock my immigrant ancestor on your thread, is because if that court record that I spoke of can ever be found, it may contain enough genealogical information for me to be able to trace the Lock family tree further back, and potentially find the Boswell connection? Possibly? Maybe? It is unknown to me if Richard Lock was born of the Lock surname, or potentially born of the Boswell surname?

Thanks for your time
Donald Locke

Offline LockeRoots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: Thursday 10 November 22 01:44 GMT (UK) »
To be honest, I don't want my name being invoked in that way, I don't do any of this research to be known or famous, I do it out of love for my family whom deserve to know the truths and facts.

And besides, if any of my Locke family in the USA doesn't know my name by now, they ain't been paying attention lol. I am in direct contact with a great many Locke cousins all across the USA, some of whom are as distantly related to me as being my 5th to 6th cousin! There are 17 or 18 of us Locke male cousins Y DNA tested to date, most of whom I have never met face to face before but they Y DNA tested because of me. They wanted answers as badly as I did and why they were so eager to join me in Y DNA testing.

I could easily publish at least a dozen unrelated Lock / Locke genealogical books had I had the mind to, but that isn't my goal in life, to make money or gain fame through my work. I openly share all my research in the public eye for free for the greater good of knowledge because everyone deserves to know the truths and facts of their family history, and be able to pass down that new found knowledge on to the next generation.