Author Topic: Gipsy Dan Boswell  (Read 163083 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gipsy Dan Boswell
« Reply #432 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
 page two

helo, I have been  trying to find records of camps around Nottingham, I am at present writing about the one I found at Hawthorne Street, sadly it as long since gone in the redevelopment of the Meadows, I am also still trying to find all the old camping grounds around the City of my birth, i wish to learn and understand as much as I can, in turn I wish to share the things I find, I know one day someone will find them, then they will also understand, well I just came across this report below, see now how there was once a camp site at Radford, Radford is just up from Lenton, that is one of the places where the Herons stayed, Lenton is just up from the Meadows where Hawthorne Street Kings Meadow Road is, which intern connects to the Marshes then Sneinton and St Ann's, all these places are rich in untold history, there will be more places to find to, Radford is now in inner City Nottingham, but back in the 1800s it would of been on the outskirts of the City, see also how John Gray also seems to be married to Charlotte Hammond, it was her daughter I thought he was with, Charlotte is a Great Gipsy Woman of High Class, I hope these records will be of help to someone, and if anyone finds any records of Radford Nottingham would you please be kind enough to transcribe them on here, plus Hawthorne Street, I will finish writing about the records of these People above  maybe tomorrow, it might take two pages, then I will return to the stories of the camp at Hawthorne Street to show you what I have found then hopefully someone may be able to assist with my researchers

Nottinghamshire Guardian-Thursday 10 January 1861

Shire Hall,  Nottingham.

Sat.-(Before R Birkin, S.B.Wild, W. Needam, and  W.Hannay, Esqs.)

Radford. Life in the Gipsy Camp.-A gipsy named John Gray, of sombre cast of contenance, appeared in answer to a charge of assaulting a woman named Charlotte Hammond, whom he had espoused in conformity with “the marriage laws and customs of gisydom.” The complainant, a fortune-teller by profession, stated that on Tuesday night, the defendant struck her and injured her very much about the head, she was living with him at Radford at the time of the assault. The defendant commenced beating the woman’s daughter very violently,  wherest the complainant became irritated and declared she would not stand by to see him brutally ill-treat her own child in that manner. The complainant gave satisfactory proof of defendant’s ill-usage, and said he had behaved to her like a demon. He denied the charge, but the bench placed to much reliance on the woman’s testimony to doubt that considerable violence had been inflicted upon her, and the defendant was fined 16s, 6d. Including expenses.

Nottingham Journal Monday 7Jauary 1861

Disturbance among the Gipsies.

John Gray was charged with threatening language to Charlotte Hammond, on Tuesday evening last, at Radford. The parties were of the gipsy tribe, and during the disturbance one with another in their camp, the defendant threatened to murder complainant. After hearing the case, the magistrate ordered the defendant to be bound over in his own recognizances to keep the peace towards the complainant for six months. And to pay the expenses, amounting to 16s, 6d.

to be continued.......

Katherine  Briggs  Dictionary of British Folk Tales in the English Language, Taylor Francis, 1991.   
  Reuben  Gray, Gus Gray  Old  Radford,  Nottingham. 

Sunday 26th November, 1815 St. Peters  Baptized Mary Ann Boswell -Zecharias - Sarah Boswell Radford Nottingham

Nottingham Journal Tuesday 22 March Nottinghamshire Guardian Friday 25 March 1881 extracts

John Boswell a gipsy was charged with cruelty to a horse,-Sergeant Aldridge met the prisoner at Fawcett Street Radford, he was in charge of a horse attached to a van laden with tents and other things with which he travelled with, prisoner said he was on the way to Retford

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: Thursday 27 April 17 20:38 BST (UK) »
Page three

Helo everyone

A good day to you all, well the article above about Charlotte Hammond and John Gray is I think, related to the article I am about to show you, it is a most fantastic account, one of , if not the best I have come across, it will take at least two pages to transcribe, I know it will be of great interest to everyone, again it is in my own City of Nottingham, I think these are those Old Original Gipsies, when I read of them, I hear them talking, and the Shire Hall is next to St Marys overlooking the old Marshes, you can now visit the Shire Hall and go into the same cells as they were remanded to, plus you may also go in the very same court room where the accounts I write of took place, the Shire Hall is now called the Galleries of Justice, it’s a museum, if these are your Relations come to Nottingham and stand where they stood, I walk in a City of many ghosts, everywhere I know and go was once walked and known by the Peoples I write about, there everywhere, I do hope I have helped someone, and will  always do so, now after these accounts I now write over two pagers, I will then write about The stories of the Family named Bacon, well I will try anyway, I hope this to, will be of help, remember all the Old People, all of them count, you must always respect all of them, they were just People getting by the best way they could.
http://www.galleriesofjustice.com/
click on this link above to learn of the Old ShireHall now the Galleries of Justice Museum

Nottinghamshire Guardian Thursday 21 October 1858

The  Zingari.—A  curious  scene transpired at the ShireHall on Saturday last. An athletic fellow, standing very little short of six feet, named John Gray, was charged before the right hon. Lord Belper, and a full Bench of Magistrates, with assaulting Levina Lee, another member of the Zingari or Gipsy tribe. The complainant stated that Gray, who had been in their camp three yeares, had been reproved for walking out at night with her sister, and in consequence of this he attacked Levina and lacerated her arm. Witness showed several marks of blows, and ges-ticulated violently. It appeared from the evidence of another witness who was called, that Gray had grasp of a bill hook in his hand and threatened to do murder with it, is menaces being directed towards Levina Lee. Gray prayed the Magistrates to remand him till Saturday in order to bring witnesses for his defence, which was accordingly done.-Vashti Lee, the sister who had been the cause of all this violence, was then put in the dock on a charge pre-ferred by her own mother of stealing a valuable ring. She had the aquiline nose, chiselled features, and expressive face, which are generally the characteristics of this wander-ing race; dressed with great taste, wearing a feathered hat. Her mother said she was her own child, adding with some feeling, I would not hurt she. The Bench, who appeared to be greatly interested in the case, demanded the particulars, which the old woman declined to give, repeat-ing, she my own child, I would not hurt she. The daughter then gave an account of how she became possessed of the jewel. It originally belonged to her grandmother, whom she tended in her last sickness, but no one was present at her death. She left no will, dying in the middle of the night. The ring was pledged at pawnbrokers in Lincoln, and redeemed by herself, for 8s.6d. As com-plainant declined to press the charge, she was set at liberty, and the mother demanded the ring. My ring, no gentle-men my ring if you please, my ring! Exclaimed the black eyed daughter; and as it was handed to her at the noble Chairman’s request, she burst into tears, and shaking her finger at her mother, said you want to punish me, but  ya can’t. Never mind Vashti, never mind, exclaimed the rebating voice of her dark adorer as he was conveyed to his remanded cell.

to be continued..........

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: Friday 28 April 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
page Four

This is the last of the Great stories I will tell from the writings above, may they all rest in Peace, everything is contained in the stories, I think everything is there, Passion, Love, Forbidden Love, Family Ways, life really, there is so much if you but feel into the words, its all there, I was just looking on Sues web site the Romany Jib and found this article, I was only having a look, I don't really know what I am doing, I was just trying to find information on Charlotte Hammond, I wonder if the People I have been writing about are the same as those in the link below
http://www.gypsyjib.com/thread/5202233/Vashti+%2F+Wasti+LEE+daughter+of+Zachariah+%26+Charlotte+wo+John+GRAY
then I just looked on RootsChat Archives and have been reading through this thread, once again I don't know who is who, I was only looking for camp sites round Nottingham, but you never know some of the information contained in the stories I write about may be of help in your research, I thought the comment made by Vashti's Mother was telling when She repeatedly said " she's my own child, I would not hurt she." its how you read into words I guess, I will not comment no more on this, maybe I see things wrongly. this is the link from RootsChat, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=332980.0

Nottingham shire Guardian Thursday 28 October 1858

The Gipsy Again- At the ShireHall, on Saturday last, John Gray was charged on remand with assaulting Levina Lee, who did not appear in support of the charge. He had been a prisoner a week on this accusation, having requested the Magistrates to remand him for that period in order to procure witnesses for the defence. Another charge was also made against him-that of breaking the peace in an assault upon Jacob Kirk, with a bill hook, at Bulwell, on Friday week, but the complainant appeared and said he did not wish to press the charge, but merely sought to have the prisoner bound over. As he did not enter into the particulars, the bench said Gray would be dismissed on promising not to offend again.- Gipsy; I will. I'll say nothing to him no more. I don't blame dis gentleman.-Lord Belper: There is 12s. to pay-Gray said he had not got the money, but his mother, a wizened frightful- looking old jade, came forwards and produced a sovereign from the inner folds of a vile dirty handkerchief, and the prisoner was then discharged.

ps, Bulwell is just past Basford, Basford is next to Radford, Hucknall comes after Bulwell, Hucknall is the Boswells land, remember all these places, plus Arnold, they will assist you in your search
I did find in the Nottingham Evening Post, Friday 20 January 1893 another Vashti, She was living or staying at 1 Bailey-Street Old Basford, and was a Fortune-teller, She was  known as Vashti Butler-Gipsy, I think She was of the famous Derbyshire Boswells, I may be wrong but Linda as a photo of Her on Her web site...http://www.romanyboswell.com/

also would someone be able to help in one of my other researchers, I am trying to find where Daniel Boswells Wife Sarah was buried, I know from Richard She went to St Marys next to the ShireHall same as my own Mother, but I have been looking and there was three old grounds back then for the graves, I have found lots of interesting stories, but if someone already knows would you please answer my request, I put on below the story of Young Moses Holmes, do you see the punishment He was given, boy ho boy, I will not comment no more on such a thing, you could half kill someone and nigh on nothing happened yet you steal a few things and your well locked up, may you rest in Peace Young Moses

below is what Richard wrote, then the link to the Grave Yards of St Marys, if any one can help in this research I would welcome your thoughts

Re: Gipsy Dan
« Reply #36 on: Monday 02 November 15 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Quote by Richard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary's_Church,_Nottingham

This is the church where Sarah was buried, in Nottingham city itself Michael.
Lewis' son Frampton Boswell, age 20 was also buried at St Mary's, Eastwood, Nottinghamshire, ten months after his father on 28th December 1835.
Yes my local church is also a St Mary's, was baptised there. I suppose it was most common dedication for the churches built before the break with Rome, when worship of the virgin was more common.

this is the link below I found to the stories of the Grave Yards of St Marys,
http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/nottingham-st-mary/xburialgrds.php

below is the story of Young Moses Holmes, my Mother spoke well of the Holmes with Great Respect

Nottinghamshire Guardian -Thursday 16 May 1861

Moses Holmes, a young urchin of the gipsy tribe, and twelve years' of age, was charged by phillip scarborough, gamekeeper, with having stolen that morning, at the parish of Sutton- in Ashfield, stolen 14lbs: weight of bones from a field in the occupation of sarah bagshaw. committed for one months hard labour in Southwell house of correction.

I will now talk of the Family named Bacon, I could really do with some help, there are so many contradictions and possibility's, I will write a few pages then ask a few questions, it may take a while, but try and read the story as an hole at the end, I do hope someone will be able to help me sort it out, believe me, this one is an hard one to understand, even the mighty Sue would struggle on this one ?

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: Sunday 14 May 17 18:26 BST (UK) »
page five merrmm https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/21061/PPPF_Full_Report.pdf

"My name is Henry Elliott, also known as Stamford and my Dads Family was always known as the Bacons, the Bacons boys and I am also known as Henry Bacon"

this above is an extract from the link above, I just want to show all the many records of the Great Family of Bacons that I have come across in the research of Hawthorne street Kings Meadow Road, of course know the Bacons from the South may have nothing to do with the Bacons I am writing of, I am just trying to see the bigger picture, I have maybe over a hundred reports of southern Bacons, I do know Gipsies were mixed long before the time of the so called scholars, I will elaborate later, I once again looked at the Roots Chat Archive and found more mysteries, I have from the very start been talking of Selston, also Hawthorne Street, and Worksop, and now in someway the Bacons link all these locations, study the link that I am going to show you, then hopefully maybe someone would kindly help

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=75448.0

I have many records to put on soon of  this Family of Bacons, all those stories from the link above points to a Great Gipsy Connection, look at this I think this is the Ambrose from the stories I will tell later, I think the Bacons, Smiths, Elliott's, Woodward's are Family 

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/rollofhonour/People/Details/24845

there to are many many Bacons going back  over hundreds of yeares in Nottinghamshire, I think people could be getting people mixed up in their research, there is multiple Bacons with the same name and time scale plus location, I am not able to understand what is true, you can not trust dates on records, hopefully someone will help me in this research

Nottingham evening post Wednesday 14 June 1916
 WORK-SHY & UNREGISTERED.
 GRAVE CHARGES AGAINST NOTTINGHAM YOUTHS.

Two described as van-dwellers, were remanded at the Nottingham Shire Hall this morning upon charges of having obtained money by false pretences from a local engineering firm.In the case of the first defendant, William Smith, the Deputy Chief  constable said he was unattested and unregistered. The other defendant was a youth named Ambrose Bacon, who said he was only 17, but Mr. Harrop remarked that he had been unable find his birth certificate.
He was, however, quite willing to    " join  the army. "

Emily Bacon, Gipsy hawker met a young woman, the wife of a labourer, and told her that her future would be full of trouble if she did not part with half-a-crown and some articles of clothing. Having got these, the Zingari undertook to "rule the young woman's planet." But the heavenly body lacks a ruler just now for the Loughhorouph magistrates have sent Emilv Bacon to gaol for two months.

Emily Nowby, alias Bacon, hawker, Selston, was charged by Elizabeth Woodward, of Castle Donington, hawker, with assaulting her Husband, on the 27th Nov. Prisoner admitted the charge, but said she did so under circumstances of great provocation from the complainant. The Bench having heard the evidence of the prosecution, and the filthy language said to be used by each side, dismissed the charge, considering one as bad as the other. —The parties are step-sisters.

I will write much more soon but I think truthfully I can not bring the full truth up and now ask someone to read into the first reports I have found and help in the knowledge you have of the navigation of the census reports, I have found many reports of these People above linked together, what is the real truth, maybe we will find out, I suppose it is the story and evolution that echoes the birth of many Gipsy Family's, but this story could go anyway, I wonder will we find the truth

http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/10199/

I ask everyone to read the two papers written by the Person from the link above, I think there are many truths that are written, take your time and read every word, so many writers from the past in the future will be shredded by the ones to come, I will write more soon on the connected storys of the Bacons with the Smiths Woodwards Elliotts and my county of Nottinghamshire not to mention Hawthorne street, Kings Meadow Road

these maps will help you in your research, on the last one you will find the Street where John Boswell was traveling with his van, Forster Street Radford, not the fawsett street that I put on in the above post, plus find Bosworth Road where Billy Bacon pushed His Van into a yard when His Family where moved on from the land next to Hawthorne Street Kings Meadow Road the Meadows, everything is there for you to find, use the maps to locate locations in other stories, you will find  Bailey Street  Basford where Vashti Butler was staying, see how locations link up, I was born where it says newark Street Sneinton, Letty lived on the same Street as I was born on, you may also look at the Narrow Marsh below St Marys and see the prison house where John Gray was remanded to

http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/places/villages/nottsparishes1835.pdf
http://www.nottsheritagegateway.org.uk/themes/poverty/poorlawunions1850.pdf
http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/resources/maps/ZoomifyExpress4-Win/nottingham1902.htm

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: Saturday 20 May 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
page six

If you click on the link that I wrote on the last post above about the grave of Ambrose Bacon you will then find another link, I will put them on below in order, there are three steps you follow, all todo with the grave record and what is wrote on the grave, well you may see then who was the person that wrote the words, these are the links..... first click on this link

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/rollofhonour/people/Details/24845

then you will see where you can click on this link CWGS. Web Site. It is the commonwealth War Graves Site.http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/4028111/

you will then see where  it says.
CWGC ARCHIVE ONLINE (4)
Grave Registration (2)
Headstone (2)

if you click on Headstone (2). you will be able to read what is wrote at the bottom of the grave and who wrote it, this below is what is wrote on that record

"Not forgotten by his loving Brother John and Family"

then it also mentions Johns address. (Mr. J. Bacon Caravan, Burn St., off Garden Lane Sutton.in.Ashfield

Look on the story below, it is the same name and address. I think John, Ambrose and Charles are Williams and Emily's Sons, was Emily an Elliott, I am sure there is a Gipsy conection with this Family, when and how it starts is yet unknown to me, would anybody please be able to help I will write more records soon, it seems so far William married Emily way back the 1860s, I have several stories of the Smiths Woodwards and Elliotts, all with these Bacons, look again at the Rootschat archive link above, then read all the stories as one on the last page I write, I think I have maybe a few more pages, then I do hope someone will help, also look below at the story with the Boylings and the Bacons

Nottingham Evening Post Friday 21 February 1936
ALLEGED FALSE PRETENCES AT TIBSHELF.
HIS STORY TO A LOCAL TRADER.
John James Bacon. 53, Hawker, of Garden Lane Burns Street Sutton-in-Ashfield was brought up in custody at Clay Cross to-day and remanded on a charge of attempting to obtain seven pounds by false pretences from George Stanley Clark, at Tibshelf, on February 20th. Bacon visited Mr. Clarks shop and asked to be allowed to leave his kit bag until the following day.
This permission was granted.
Returning to the shop the next morning Bacon opened the bag and took out two rugs, one of which he represented to be a Persian, and the other a Russian. Bear skin, these he offered to sell to Clark for seven pounds. Bacon stated that he was a sailor and had sailed the seven seas, adding that he had been shipwrecked four times. He wished to get back to Liverpool, and was therefore, trying to sell the rugs at considerably less than their value. P.C Kelly who happened to be in the shop at the same time overheard the conversation and being suspicious took Bacon into custody.
Bacon remanded.

Nottingham Evening Post Saturday July 1916
DISCRACFULL SCENES AT HUCKNALL.
HAWKERS FINED.
At the Nottingham Shire Hall today a description was given of a disgraceful scene which was enacted on the Annesley–road at Hucknall, late on Thursday night.
Three men living in caravans. Richard Boyling aged 29, Walter Boyling, 56 and William Bacon 44, Hawkers, of no fixed abode. The defendants had been to the Mansfield Fair they were stated by the Police to have been “mad drunk” when arrested the younger Boyling and Bacon struggled kicked and resisted the officers. Stones and bottles were also thrown, the officers showed signs of having been knocked about. The Boylings were fined 15s. Each, or seven days, for being drunk and disorderly, Bacon one pound 1s, and each of the three was fined two pounds 2s, or 21 days for the assault on the Police, the Chaiman (Mr. G. Fellows), said the Police must be protected from ruffians.

Just a side note... they were defended by Mr. H. B. Clayton, another name that appears in associated stories.

Saturday 26 November 1892 Derbyshire Courier
Chesterfield County Police Courts. This Friday- Charles Bacon of Selston and Richard Elliott, two gipsies who have been camping round Hardwick during the last few days were charged by Mr. George Page, head Gamekeeper for the Hardwick Estate, and before Mr. Carrington with using dogs in the purpose of taking game on Wednesday.
A young woman of Ault. Hucknall. Named Woodbine, deposed to watching the men, they had three dogs and killed two hares.
The prisoners were remanded to the petty sessions

Tuesday 29 November 1892 Derbyshire Courier
Gipsies Fined for Poaching.
Charles Bacon and Richard Elliott were charged on remand for using dogs for taking hares; at Ault Hucknall- John Wright a farmer said he saw two caravans, together with four men and women with two dogs. He saw the hare run into a field belonging to Holmwood Colliery. The two dogs followed and killed the hare, one of the men picked up the hare.-Mr Middleton, for the defence, pleaded guilty for the charge where Bacon was concerned, but said Elliott took no part what so ever in the matter- Their Worships fined each defendant 1 pound and costs or 14 days imprisonment.

ps... in the previous post on page five about Emily Nowby, alias Bacon, hawker, Selston, the name of the newspaper was the Ilkeston Pioneer-Thursday 29 November 1866 titled the "FEMININE ROW "
on the same post in 1894 was the story about Emily fortune-telling at Loughborough which is just south of Nottingham, the paper is the Cornishmen- Thursday 6 December 1894, titled the "SEERESS".

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: Sunday 21 May 17 08:02 BST (UK) »
page seven

I just want to help people who like me are looking for answers, it is a lot harder than I thought, just keep trying, try to learn from others, there are many ways to slip up, it is great fun researching, just keep an open mind on everything, I put this information on below to show and help you, for  when you see and read of how I am struggling, it may help you to see how easy it is to find information, yet is it the information you seek, Selston back the 1800s was maybe only populated by a few hundred People, and that could be an overestimate, yet there's Bacons everywhere I look, literally everywhere doing everything, it would take me a least a year just to talk about them, there's hundreds all over Nottinghamshire, and the same names,

roots web
Subject: HARPER/BACON
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:47:03  HARPER - Robert born Barney, Norfolk - married Mary Ann Bacon from Hindolveston, at Selston, Notts, in 1868. He became a miner and had children Jane Ann, J.C., Maria, Matilda, George, Harry, Bertha - all born at Selston - and William born at Bulwell.
BACON - Charles - born Brinton, Norfolk, married Ann Codling from Hindolveston - parents of Mary Ann - moved to Selston around 1863 and became a gamekeeper. Had children Mary Ann b Hindolveston, Samuel Robert, George, William, Elisha, Susan Jane, Thomas - all born Annesley - and James born Tithby.

as you may read above there is a Charles Bacon born in Norfolk  who becomes a Gamekeeper in Selston in the 1860s, you would think that was an easy clue, but just read this below, it is great fun looking for clues and true when you find things you feel good about it, yet the untruth is you can find information and create a true story, history is so full of names and dates connected to many the story that may be joined but truthfully they may lead you down the wrong road, so from reading the story above I found a Gamekeeper from Selston named Bacon, but it is before the timescale stated above, boy ho boy, my head is spinning, where do all these Bacons keep coming from, there's many many Bacons who were Gamekeepers all round the country, wow is all I'll say.

Nottinghamshire Guardian 1855-Charles Bacon Gamekeeper-Selston.
Sheffield Independent-1881-Francis Bacon-Gamekeeper.
Western Gazette-1880-William Bacon-Gamekeeper.
Essex Newsman-1877-George Bacon-Gamekeeper.
Sheffield Independent-1847-John Bacon-Gamekeeper.
Chelmsford Chronicle-1910-George Bacon-Gamekeeper.
Beverley and East Riding Recorder-1891-William Bacon Gamekeeper.
Dorset County Chronicle-1866-George Bacon-Gamekeeper.
Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal-1868-Samuel Bacon-Gamekeeper.
Northampton Mercury-1892-Henry Bacon-Gamekeeper.
Derbyshire Courier-1856-William Bacon-Gamekeeper.
Chelmsford Chronicle-1853-John Bacon- Gamekeeper.

there are many more Gamekeeper stories with the name Bacon in, some of them really interesting, I just wanted to help anyone who like me is trying to find information from past history, be careful not to get to carried away, you may make a story out of many things, just try and try to find several stories that link up, around Selston I have found Bacons winning flower shows and the best vegetables in farm contests, I have found Band Masters named Bacon from Selston over a hundred years ago, there are Bacons buried in the same Church Yard as Daniel Boswell, there are Bacons on the same Church walls in Plaques, I could put on a hundred stories of records of Bacons who from the dates and locations seem to link up with who I am trying to find yet they may not have a single connection to which I am seeking, just be careful in your search, I do not know how Sue finds all the information She does, I would say it takes years to become remotely evan half good at Genealogy

look at this story below, maybe this is how Daniel Boswell became the past down legend in Selston known by oral history as a King, seems they used to give names like that back the 1800s to maybe important people as they would see through their own eyes in their own time, maybe it was just the way Selston people spoke, it was probably just a Name that locals used for what they perceived as leaders, so Daniel Boswell  may have been revered and seen as a leader by the Gipsies, for in those days I have read accounts of big Tribes traveling around, the locals just maybe said look did you know the King of the Gipsies as just died at Pye Hill, the name then was just passed down through oral legend, Daniel Boswells Family maybe just wrote the words on His Gravestone that Richard found, not the ones that are on the modern stone from the seventy's, this could be the truth, or maybe not who knows, we may find more, an opened mind is needed. 

Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal Friday 15 October 1858

EVADING THE TOLL.
George Salmon, labourer, of Selston Nott's, was charged by John Bingham, of Pye Bridge, toll collector with having on the 23rd of August, passed through his gate without having payed the usual toll. It appeared from the evidence of Bingham and his wife, that the defendant after passing through the gate, put on additional horses to draw the load. Salmon said the horse was lame, and he only put on another horse in is place, and called  James Webster, better known as the "King of Selston", who said the horse was quite lame and unfit for work.
Fined 5s. and expenses 1 pound 3s. 6d.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: Monday 12 June 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone
It is almost a hundred years to the day that Ambrose Bacon died, 17th August 1917, so now this will be the last time I talk. I will be here years if I don’t stop talking, i have so many Family records, plus many accounts of things like Customs, they help to form the bigger picture that we all must seek, so I will just finally finish after this last talking post with a few posts with only the dates and names on, if any of the names are names you are researching you then may look the story up if they are of interest to you, this way will be the quickest way for me to go without letting no one down, it would just take to long to carry on the way I have been writing, I do hope Some of you have been helped by my writings, below is my last words, I think the writers of the past were right about looking for Customs and Language to find the Old Romany Family’s, but this did not mean they were the Originals ones, everything that happened in these lands also happened in all the lands of the far past, in every land there was always the Originals, in every land other People joined along with their local words, in the beginning of our times the Gipsies from all those lands with all those words put roots down here, through these roots many more Family’s were born, Elik said if you have but one drop in you, and it lives, you belong to the Gipsies, my Mother would talk about finding my way back by turning my cloths inside out, the bad spirits would not be able to see me, this is why below the turf was on Major Boswells chest, it was to trick the bad spirits, they would think He was already buried and the grass had grown over His grave, I learned all these things, my Mother also taught me ways how to reverse evil things, send them  back to the Sender, and from the very beginning the Mokody, you must never forget that good Spirits you may talk to, Good Luck to Everyone, these below are just extracts to help you understand how hard it is to find the right names on records and also look for the Strangest of things, if its the truth you seek.

Nottinghamshire Guardians Thursday 25 November 1852

SHOCKING DEATH OF A GIPSEY. - On the 18th inst. Mr Coroner Swan held an inquest on the body of a man unknown at the Seven Stars Arnold. William Young’s, who stated he was 70 years of age and had been a Gypsey all his life, said he had seen the man many times. He went by the name of Robin Woods, and was also a Gypsey, Sometimes he travelled about the Country by himself and sometimes he joined a company of Gipsies and travelled with them for a time, then he left them to join another company. He often took the name of the party with which he joined and consequently was called by different names. He was last with witness on Monday night at his camp in Lime lane, Arnold. On Tuesday witness moved his camp to Basford Lane.

Daly Gazette for Middlesbrough Thursday 2 December 1915

TRACED BY FINGER PRINTS-Charges preferred at Stockton to-day against James Allen 22, John Boswell 22, and also James Smith 21. The defendants were further charged under the Aliens Restriction Act. On enquiries being made to Scotland Yard it was found that Allen’s proper name was Lowther, Smiths real name was Wilshaw, and Boswell was Wilkinson. Defendants were natives of Sheffield and were strangers to the Town; they had very bad Police records.

Staffordshire Advertiser Saturday 21 May 1870

DEATH OF A PATRIACHAL GIPSY-Major Boswell who for the last seven years has made a tent on the Stone Road, Longton, his principle place of abode, died on Sunday at the advanced age of 108 years. The body was “laid out” in caricature Gipsy style. He lies “instate” on a bed on the ground, covered with a white sheet, and a tuft of grass on the chest. The part of the tent where the body lies is lined with white, decorated with flowers, a picture of the Saviour, and wax candles on either side.

Hull Packet Friday 17 April 1840

LITERARY AND PHILOSPHICAL SOCIETY
On Tuesday evening, the following interesting lecture was given by T, Thomson, Esq,   

“ It as struck me, that all the essays I have read on the subject now under consideration, have disregarded the accounts delivered by the Gipsies themselves, or, if any attention as been given to those accounts delivered by the Gipsies on their first arrival in Europe, were genuine and correct statements of facts. No doubt some parts of those accounts were misunderstood, from the difficulty that would exist in Europeans quite ignorant of the language of the Gipsies to understand them, and a corresponding difficulty in the Gipsies understanding their European questioners, they appeared in small bodies or hordes, each having its own Leader, sometimes called a Count, at other times a Duke, it is quite apparent that the appellations Duke and Count are not of Eastern origin, and so as the Gipsies first attracted notice in the smaller states of Germany, which were presided over by Dukes or Counts, it is evident either the Gipsies translated the title applied by them to their own Chief, or, vice versa, that the Germans of those states, called the Chiefs of the Gipsies, Dukes, Counts, be course such were the titles of their own Chiefs, just as we call the head Chief of Otaheitee, Owhyhee, “King” of these Islands, be course we are ourselves are presided over by Kings, and in England Gipsies are generally reputed to have a King, over the hole, though each Family seems to be governed by its own Head”.

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 18:09 BST (UK) »
 hello everyone,  I will soon be putting on my last writings, I will finish first with the story of the Bacons then I think I may put on all that I have left of the very sad story's and times of the war years, then I may put on all about the story's of the Great Gipsy Woman, I think I found a way of tracing the story of Family's by tracing the story's of the Woman, its real easy to, but I do not think it will be me who cracks the code, it all started when I was just looking through newspaper records, again and again I came up against records of Gipsies who were in court up for fortune-telling, at first I would just read then move on to my own research, then one day I thought how these type of records contained so much information, they are well documented by the press at the time, over hundreds of year's to, the Gipsy Woman were a great fascination to everybody, so journalists wrote many great full accounts up on lots of these occasions, well I was thinking as I was reading how there seemed to be a patern, or certain types of ways of tricking people in fortune-telling,  so I thought to myself how did one Gipsy from one part of the country know ways of going on, there was no school of fortune-telling to teach people certain ways, then I realised how ways of going on must of been passed down through generations, but the problem for me is I have found lots of records but it will take a Great Person who will be able to know the name of the fortune-telling Gipsy Woman before She married, I know there is a code to be found like a spiders web, someone will crack it one day, the Grays have some Great Gipsy Woman from long ago, some great story's, just like tracing Family's using things like the census papers I also think there are other ways to utilise, i will elaborate more about this story another time and explain what i am saying in a more in-depth  better way, i do hope one day someone will take up this Great Challenge, i know there is a code there, i can feel it, its waiting to be found, so i will finish soon with the fine Family named Bacon, i do hope one day someone will correct and expand all these writings, plus i will finish soon the Great Story of the Fine Man Himself Daniel Boswell the Legend of England

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: Sunday 03 September 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
helo would someone be able to look up a few census reports for my research please, I would be most grateful for your kind time, I am trying my best to research the Bacon Family, if you would read this link below from the Rootschat archives you will read how other researcher's are writing of the Bacon Family from Selston the same Family that I am also researching, I would like to know is the information they have found correct and accurate in dates locations and  names, I would appreciate anyone's thoughts and welcome your comments, I have found there are people named Bacon with the same Christian names doing similar occupations also from Selston,  yet I have found that there are records of Death that show that the Dead Person with the same name proves that the living person with the same name is alive, this may sound a simple thing , yet it is of a great importance, I have found Charles Bacon alive and well traveling around when the other Charles Bacon is Dead and buried, this could also aply to other names that there also seem to be duplicated, would someone please help me

michael

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=75448.0