Author Topic: Levy/Connell  (Read 12124 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Levy/Connell
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 September 15 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hello...

No real help (sorry) but I'm just wondering if the Mary CONNELL (c.1869-1953) buried in Masterton has been eliminated from your search.

Her Will mentions a nephew, Michael Richard Martin WALLACE. His might be the 1912 Michael Richard WALLACE birth on BDM NZ, son of Richard and Annie WALLACE.

As Mary CONNELL is a spinster and Michael Richard Martin WALLACE is her nephew the implication is that Annie is Mary's sister. Your Maria (Maraia) doesn't have a sister called Annie plus I can't find the necessary Richard WALLACE to Annie CONNELL marriage.

So things aren't looking too promising.

Having said that, do you have any proof that your Maria didn't have a sister named or known as Annie.

And, of course, the Michael Richard Martin WALLACE mentioned in the Will may not be the Michael Richard WALLACE b.1912 mentioned on BDM NZ.

---

As mentioned, the Will says that Mary CONNELL was a spinster. On that point, I've yet to be convinced that there was an actual LEVY to Maria CONNELL marriage.

Your original post mentions the baptism of Mary/Maria/Maraia in the parish records at St Mary's. Have the parish records also been searched for a LEVY/CONNELL marriage.

Likewise, would there be any synagogue records that could be searched. Not sure how to go about that.

Either way, by law the marriage would have had to have been registered and, as we've been pretty unsuccessful in finding a registration, the marriage either didn't happen or it didn't happen in NZ.

And before you mention spelling errors :) wildcard searching the NZSG Marriages CD should still find something but it hasn't.
---

Like I said, no real help but what would be helpful is if you can, with certitude, eliminate this Mary CONNELL from your search.

Regards
Beg

Offline Diggels

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 September 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Beg
Thanks for your input and "thinking outside the square".
There was no Annie Connell found in the parish records of St Mary's Wanganui, nor was the name Annie mentioned in Mary Jane Connell's will in 1900.
Like you, I'm beginning to wonder if the Levy/Connell marriage ever took place. Mary may have been unmarried but called herself Mrs Levy when she had son Henry. However, Mary Levy and son Henry Levy were named in Mary Jane's 1900 will. I haven't searched the church records for a Levy/Connell marriage as yet.
Interestingly Mary signed her name MARY CONNELL in a sworn affidavit 27/8/1900 regarding her mother's will,
Very strange. Diggels

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hello...

No real help (sorry) but I'm just wondering if the Mary CONNELL (c.1869-1953) buried in Masterton has been eliminated from your search.

Her Will mentions a nephew, Michael Richard Martin WALLACE. His might be the 1912 Michael Richard WALLACE birth on BDM NZ, son of Richard and Annie WALLACE.

As Mary CONNELL is a spinster and Michael Richard Martin WALLACE is her nephew the implication is that Annie is Mary's sister.

Eliminating the abovementioned Mary CONNELL :

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

"Wairarapa Age" - 1 June 1916 - page 5 - Personal

.... Mrs R. WALLACE of Bideford received news of the death of her brother, John CONNELL, of Clinton Police Station and formerly of Invercargill   ....
Mr Michael CONNELL and Miss M. CONNELL of Masterton are brother and sister of the deceased.

Electoral

1911 / 1914 /1919 - Wairarapa roll

WALLACE - Richard - roadman
WALLACE - Annie - married    ... residing at Bideford

1935 - Masterton roll
WALLACE - Richard - labourer
WALLACE - Annie - married
WALLACE - Michael Richard - carpenter
     ... residing at 102 Villa Street, Masterton

1928 - Masterton roll
CONNELL - Michael - labourer
CONNELL - Mary - spinster
      ... residing at 100 Villa Street, Masterton

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 01:27 BST (UK) »

Interestingly Mary signed her name MARY CONNELL in a sworn affidavit 27/8/1900 regarding her mother's will,  ....

Hi   ... yes she did, but it was linked to the Will of her grandmother, Catherine MULLIN.   ;)

Mary Jane Connell 1900 will on familysearch - with her childrens names to prevent looking for childrens names
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89SB-FS9Y-H

"whiteout" kindly provided the above ^ direct link to the Probate Record of Mary Jane CONNELL (1900).     
Using that same link, the Probate record (with annexed Will) for Catherine MULLIN (1900) can be accessed by going back to Image # 223 (start).
[This was an unusal case of mother (Catherine MULLIN) and her daughter Mary Jane CONNELL dying within a couple of months of each other.   Recorded on the Probate file of Catherine MULLIN, (died 13 March, 1900), it is stated >
"Mary Jane CONNELL died at Wanganui on 1st day of August 1900 without having extracted Probate of the said Will of the said Catherine MULLIN" :  ]

I agree it is a little odd that Mary signed her name as 'surname' CONNELL ... on 27 August 1900 - with was after the death of her mother Mary Jane.   In the Will of Mary Jane CONNELL (her mother), she was of course referred to as "Mary LEVY".

Have more to add to thread shortly.

~  Lu