Author Topic: The Wreck of the Circassian December 1876  (Read 1731 times)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Wreck of the Circassian December 1876
« on: Saturday 12 September 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
Walter Larkin(s) Colebourn was born in Liverpool in 1855, and joined the Merchant Navy bound to De Wolf & Company in March 1874 (aged 18)

According to his Merchant Navy records he drowned on 29 December 1876 off Long Island, New York on the Circassian that was travelling from Liverpool to New York.

Trouble is there are reports of the wreck going down in the Liverpool papers, but he is not on the list of deaths of crew....

http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/CIRCASSIAN.html

Does anyone know if there is a bigger list of people who died on that ship as that report says there were 20 deaths which I think included the wrecking crew too?

Or could provide some other clarification that he was on it?

Thanks
Ruth

Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Wreck of the Circassian December 1876
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 September 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this helps.....It says 49 crew members were lifted off the ship to safety...The Captain and officers remained on it..Why would young Walter stay on ?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g3v/
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 September 15 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

thank you for the further information.

I think as he was positively recorded as a drowning perhaps he was one of the 16 original crew that went back to salvage it

It ran aground on 12th December with a 2 week salvage operation, so he died towards the end unless the 29th was the day his body was recovered/came ashore?

Might have a look at the cemetery that is mentioned in the article and see if that helps
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 15 18:24 BST (UK) »
Deaths at sea have 39 results for 1876 Circassian including ,
Colebourne  Walter Larkins  20  App.   Long Island  Drowned

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 March 17 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Walter was one of the crew who remained/returned to the ship. There was a subsequent storm and he was drowned. Some records omit his name, but he is recorded as one of the crew lost in the 2nd storm in other records. Walter is Great Great Uncle to my partner (through Walter's brother, Robert Henry Colebourn)
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline Peter Walsh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 May 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth, Yes Walter Colburn drowned and is buried in a group grave in East Hampton, Long Island.  28 men died during the salvage operation. 12 of the original British crew plus one Stowaway. Eleven locals of Bridgehampton, Long Island. Ten of which were Shinnecock Indians from the reservation. 4 wreckers from New York City.  Walter was 18 and an apprentice.  I'm researching the tragedy which took place December 30, 1876.  Four men survived.  Henry Morle, First Mate, from Taunton, England; John Rowland, Second Mate, from Cardiff ,Wales; Alexander Wiison, Ships Carpenter from Birkenhead, England and Charles Campbell a wrecker from New Jersey.  The English sailors that did not go back on board which were 24 from the original crew went to New York City where the British Consul expedited there return to England.  Newspaper accounts in England and America have many inaccuracies and the coverage was swift and short.  I'm interested in finding any accounts from the British survivors and histories of those who perished.  Hope this helps, I have more info if you need,