Author Topic: Mellon in Ireland - my Danish/Irish family  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Danish1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mellon in Ireland - my Danish/Irish family
« on: Saturday 12 September 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
Dear friends

Margaret Mellon (Mallon) was born in Ireland in b. 1847, her father was draper Michael Mellon, and she had an aunt (sister to Michael) Catherin Mellon (Mallon) b. 1841. All RC.

Margaret went to Liverpool before 1865, as a young woman. She married a Danish seaman James Morrison that year. He was protestant, she RC, they were registeret, she was 17, he 26.
The got three children, and went to live in Denmark, they left around 1871-1873.

I would very much like to find Margaret and her family in Ireland, please.

Where did she come from? When did her and her aunt leave Ireland?
When did her father die?

Best regards
Danish

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mellon in Ireland - my Danish/Irish family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 15 00:14 BST (UK) »
Dear friends

Margaret Mellon (Mallon) was born in Ireland in b. 1847, her father was draper Michael Mellon, and she had an aunt (sister to Michael) Catherin Mellon (Mallon) b. 1841. All RC.

Margaret went to Liverpool before 1865, as a young woman. She married a Danish seaman James Morrison that year. He was protestant, she RC, they were registeret, she was 17, he 26.
The got three children, and went to live in Denmark, they left around 1871-1873.

I would very much like to find Margaret and her family in Ireland, please.

Where did she come from? When did her and her aunt leave Ireland?
When did her father die?

Best regards
Danish

Welcome to Rootschat. To enable you to proceed with your search you would need to know which county your family came from in Ireland. There are several sources you can search.
www.nationalarchives.ie has census records 1901 & 1911 and some earlier ones for some counties in Northern Ireland.  Also national archives has Tithe Applotment & Griffith Valuation records.
If you are able to determine the location in Ireland www.registers.nli.ie has Baptism/marriage records (Church) free to search.  Civil Registration began in 1864 so for your research the church records will be your source. :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 15 09:47 BST (UK) »
Danish records are usually excellent so if Margaret died in Denmark her death record might show her mother's name. This probably won't help you trace the family in Ireland but will add a bit more detail to your family tree.
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2078555

Where did you learn that Margaret had an Aunt Catherine?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Danish1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 September 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
Dear Aghadowey

Thank you so much for the reply! Margaret is born 25 August 1847, Ireland, and RC.

Margaret got three children in Liverpool. At the Liverpool Census 1871 it says that she is living with aunt Catherine Mellon (Mallon), 28 years.

The Census says she and her aunt are from Ireland. They are not on the 1861 Census, I guess the left Ireland between late 1861 and 1864 (Got married in 1865).

At the baptizing (the first four children) RC church (St. Vincent and St. Paul) it is shown that the god mother is Catherine Mellon (Mallen) as well as a Norah Allen

(The first children are twins, named Michael (perhaps efter her father and the girl is named Ellen, perhaps after her mother? Later, in Denmark, they named an other child Edward Allen Mogensen (Morrison). I guess Allen is a familyname as well, perhaps on Margaret's mothers side?)

Margaret married James July 22 in 1865, on the GRO certificate, Liverpool, it shows only her fathers name: Michael Mellon (Mellan), deceased, and that he was a draper of profession.

I see Mellon/Mallon/Mellen/Mallen is spelled in many ways...

Since I never knew about where our Mellon-named came from, and I am working on a book about Mellon in Denmark, I/and family are very excited about where in Ireland Margaret (and Michael and Catherine). I appriciate any help, thank you.
Best regards
Danish

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Danish
If the father Michael Mellon was still living in 1859 or there abouts from http://www.failteromhat.com/post1845.php
Mellon   Michael   Glasmullagh   Ardstraw   Tyrone
Mellon   Michael   Derrycrin Conyngham   Ballinderry   Tyrone
Mellon   Michael   Creggan   Termonmaguirk   Tyrone
Mellon   Michael   Derrycrin Eglish   Ballinderry   Tyrone
Mellon   Michael, Jr.   Derrycrin Conyngham   Ballinderry   Tyrone
Mellon   Michael   Ballyronan More   Artrea   Derry
Mellon   Michael   Anne Street North East   St. Georges   Dublin
Mellon   Michael   Anne Street, North   St. Michans   Dublin
Mellon   Michael   Kilcarry   Moyacomb   Carlow
Mcmellon   Michael Doogary   Drumragh   Tyrone

To look up more detail inc a map reference to see an outline of their property see
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

Too late to connect but just possible a John Mellon retail draper and boot merchant in Strabane in Butcher Street Strabane in 1918 see http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/PT191814.htm

that  John aged 27 and his young wife Mary Agnes 18 is in the 1901 census, so probably in 1911
In 1901 the address is 17 in Bridge End, Magirr (Strabane, Tyrone) see http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

have run out of time
Ballyaltikilligan G
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Danish1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Ballyaltikilligan G

Thank you! That is very exciting...I/we really want to learn more about our Irish roots, and only knowing the name of Margaret, Michael and Catherine is an inspiration to get to know more.

From the informations you gave me, all the 'Michael Mellon's' I went to the NLI site, trying to see, if Michael, the father of Margaret, lived there she was perhaps baptized there. I was not able to find microfilm on all the Mellon Parishes...

By the way, is the date their birthday or the date of the baptism?

I would so much like to find Margaret in the books.

Thanks again for helping me, it is SO appreciated!

Best regards
Danish

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
I am not experienced on Co Tyrone records, my experience is  if you know the religious denomination of a person and a civil parish, its easy to start and difficult to finish. many of my references were to Co .Tyrone, lets take my first example
Mellon   Michael   Glasmullagh   Ardstraw   Tyrone
I would immediately go to http://www.proni.gov.uk/   and download their guide_to_church_records.pdf which is findable on their welcome page under online downloads. So under Ardstraw I find
ARDSTRAW, CO. TYRONE .............................................................................................71
I scroll down to page 71 and find Ardstraw continues on further page(s0

ARDSTRAW, CO. TYRONE
C.I. Ardstraw (Derry diocese)
[Earliest registers destroyed in Dublin]
Sunday register, 1821-57, recording details of
collections, numbers attending services etc., with
occasional baptisms and publication of banns.
Baptisms, 1882-; marriages, 1845-; burials, 1887-;
vestry minutes, 1872-; registers of vestrymen, 1870-;
preachers’ books, 1821-.
T2728
In local custody
C.I. Baronscourt (Derry diocese)
Baptisms, 1877-; marriages, 1858-; burials, 1878;
register of vestrymen, 1870-.
Sunday register, 1821-57, giving details of services.
In local custody
T2728/1
C.I. Drumclamph (Derry diocese)
Baptisms, 1877-1962; marriages, 1846-1928; burials,
1872-1943; vestry minutes, 1876-1921; register of
vestrymen, 1870-1985. MIC1/304
M. Cavandoragh [sic Cavandarragh] [Wesleyan Methodists]
Baptisms, 1822-1961; marriages, 1874-1937. MIC1E/62
M. Coolnacrunaught [Wesleyan Methodists]
Baptisms may be included in Castlederg baptisms,
1822-. MIC1E/62
M. Lisleen [Wesleyan Methodists]
Baptisms, 1822-1961; marriages, 1883-1937. MIC1E/62
M. Newtownstewart
Baptisms, 1866-1978 [there may be baptisms for
Newtownstewart in the Omagh Circuit baptism register
from 1832 – see MIC1E/24]; marriages, 1890-1933;
membership register and quarterly class roll, 1863-
1954; circuit schedule book, 1866-79.
Baptisms, 1825-30.
MIC1E/24, 26
MIC429/1/264
P. Ardstraw
Baptisms, 1837-90; marriages, 1837-1939. MIC1P/50
P. 1st Castlederg (or Garvetagh)
Baptisms, 1823-1985; marriages, 1854-98. MIC1P/73
P. Clady
Marriages, 1845-71. MIC1P/50
P. Douglas
Baptisms, 1831-64 and 1868-1946; marriages,
1832-1936. MIC1P/50, 59
P. Drumlegagh (or 2nd Ardstraw)
Baptisms, 1865-1986; marriages, 1845-1930. MIC1P/303
P. 1st Newtownstewart
Baptisms, 1890-1903; marriages, 1845-1907. MIC1P/59
P. 2nd Newtownstewart
Baptisms, 1848 and 1861-1905; marriages, 1846-1910. MIC1P/59
P. 1st and 2nd Newtownstewart
Baptisms, 1903-85; session minutes, 1903-68. MIC1P/59; T/2563
R.C. Ardstraw East (Newstownstewart) (Derry diocese)
Baptisms, 1860-80; marriages, 1860-81. MIC1D/60
R.C. Ardstraw West (Derry diocese)
Baptisms, 1846-81; marriages, 1843-78 and 1880. MIC1D/62
R.P. Mulvin
Marriages, 1866-1905; session minutes, 1941-77. MIC1C/13; CR/5/30

The catholic records are fortunately within the civil parish, often they are recorded under the catholic parish name which is not becessarily the same area as the civil parish. So from the above I now understand PRONI catholic records start with 1843 Baptisms in  Ardstraw West. I don’t take that as the whole resource, I need to check www.familysearch.org did they find and microfilm any further records at the churches they visited. OR do a copy of the same or something different come into the possession of The North of Ireland Family History Society see  http://www.nifhs.org  OR does the church/chapel still hold records not microfilmed by anybody.

I answer queries on this website but don’t  subscribe to it as such, so you have an advantage over me with their resources, BUT YOU MENTION  NLI  and I am not certain which database you are searching eg The Census, if before 1901, you will be fortunate to be  seeing the surviving bits of the 1851 and earlier census.
The Tithe Applotment Books of say Co Tyrone are held by PRONI in Belfast visit only, [ the 26 counties they are held  in The National Archives of Ireland, fortunately they are also available as indexes entries on http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/tyrone/tithe-applotment-books/parish-of-ardstraw.php#.Vfh8HEuDoYU  1823 to 1840 (recorded by Civil Parish)
Disappointingly no Mellons are recorded  for 1834 in Ardstraw, these will be the tenant and not usually women unless widows.

You could work through all of the parishes , but perhaps you are searching a name that holds a special place in a library , do contact The Mellon Centre for Migration Studies, 2 Mellon Road, OmaghTyrone BT78 5QU t: 028 8225 6315 f: 028 8224 2241 e: mcms@librariesni.org.uk
That’s all I can offer keep going  BallyaltikilliganG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Danish1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
Dear BallyaltikilliganG

That is very helpfull, thanks a lot!

I see a Michael Mellon in the Applotment Books list, on this page: http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/tyrone/tithe-applotment-books/parish-of-aghaloo.php#.VfiNCvR_uSo

How do I find more informations about him?
I have search many places for Margaret b. 25 AUG 1847, (Michael's daugther) that is my main interest. She is the one who went to Liverpool for some years, and later to Denmark. Many people here, are waiting for new facts;-)
They where RC, and at the NLI-site I have search in some parishes, looking up the date 25 AUG 1847, no luck so far. If I find her, I will for sure know her father's and mother's name.

Best regards
Danish

Offline Danish1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 September 15 20:00 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, it is a hard one - I have looked up the places where (all) Michael Mellon lived, and no Margaret born on the 25 aug 1847, as far as I am concerned, if it is the date of baptisme, I might not have seen 'her'.