Author Topic: Boyd's of Kilsyth and Airdrie  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Darren1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boyd's of Kilsyth and Airdrie
« on: Sunday 13 September 15 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all, Is there anybody out there who has ancestors called John Boyd married Isabel Small (Born:1745), they had six children to know of (James, Jean, Janet, Helen, James and Isabel) all born in the Kilsyth/Airdrie area. The reason I ask is my second cousin (*) has regrettably been struck ill with parkinson's disease and is slowly deteriorating and no longer researches the family history of the Boyd's. Therefore we have several files of information that other relatives may find of interest. Hope to hear from you soon!

Darren   

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boyd's of Kilsyth and Airdrie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
If you haven't already done so, a good way to make surname connections with other members is to enter your surname interests in the Surname Interests Table (SIT), and to check there whether others are researching these names. 

This can be found at http://surname.rootschat.com/ , there is a link to it under "Your Tools" at the bottom of each Rootschat page.

The more people who enter their surnames, the more chance there will be of making a connection!
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Helen21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 06:41 BST (UK) »
Darren, I am sorry to hear of your cousin's illness, it is always a shame when we can no longer pursue our hobbies due to ill health.

John Boyd & Isobel Small were my 5xgreat grandparents via

James Boyd (1782-1861) & Elizabeth Patrick
James Boyd (1808-1877) & Ann Johnston Hay
William Boyd (1841-1908) & Elisabeth Young
Ann Johnston Hay Boyd (1868-1942) & Peter Johnston
thence my grandmother & mother.

I would be delighted & honoured to share your cousin's information, and shall PM you

Helen

Caithness-Harper, Houston/Ogston (Wick & Canisbay)
Isle of Lewis-MacDonald, MacLeod, Stewart (all Swordale & Bayble)
Morayshire-McLennan, Roy (Drainie)
Banffshire-Fraser (Gamrie & Marnoch)  Thomson (Marnoch) Wilson (Portsoy) Greig (Macduff)
Aberdeenshire-Allan (Monymusk & Forgue) Copland (Chapel of Garioch & Forgue) Henderson & Tough (Premnay) Greig (Inverurie)
West Lothian-Johnston & Kirkwood (Bo'ness)
Stirlingshire-Johnston & Shanks (Slamannan) Boyd (Kilsyth & Airdrie)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 09:17 BST (UK) »
Helen21, did any of your Boyds stray into Cumbernauld? Specifically John, who married Jean Waddell and had four of a family in Cumbernauld: Jean c 1795, Robert 1799, James 1802, Agnes 1805?

There is what appears to be a matching marriage in Paisley in 1794, except that the groom's name is recorded (twice) as James, not John, Boyd. I am not sure whether this is the same couple with errors in his name, or an entirely different couple with almost the same names married at exactly the right sort of time but who had no recorded children.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Helen21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Forfarian-I have a couple of Waddell's but none that married a Boyd at that time.

There is John Waddell who married Helen Cleland (nee Buchanan, ~1810-1864) and had a daughter, Margaret Waddell in 1843 in Kilsyth.  (Helen later married James Boyd in Kilsyth in 1846, and they were the parents of John Boyd (1847-1905) Chief Constable of Glasgow Police)

The other is Jeanette Waddell (1811-1899) from Whitburn, Wln, daughter of George Waddell & Catherine Calder. Jeanette married Peter Shanks of Slamannan Sti, and in 1835 they emigrated to the USA.
Caithness-Harper, Houston/Ogston (Wick & Canisbay)
Isle of Lewis-MacDonald, MacLeod, Stewart (all Swordale & Bayble)
Morayshire-McLennan, Roy (Drainie)
Banffshire-Fraser (Gamrie & Marnoch)  Thomson (Marnoch) Wilson (Portsoy) Greig (Macduff)
Aberdeenshire-Allan (Monymusk & Forgue) Copland (Chapel of Garioch & Forgue) Henderson & Tough (Premnay) Greig (Inverurie)
West Lothian-Johnston & Kirkwood (Bo'ness)
Stirlingshire-Johnston & Shanks (Slamannan) Boyd (Kilsyth & Airdrie)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I have come across both of those, but have not been able to connect them to my Waddell family.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JanetG90

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 March 16 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.

I have just recently found out about my family tree.

John Boyd and Isabel Small are my great(x6) grandparents.

My family tree is very similar to Helen21.

James Boyd (1782-1861) & Elizabeth Patrick
James Boyd (1808-1877) & Ann Johnston Hay
William Boyd (1841-1908) & Elisabeth Young
James Boyd (1873 - 1938) & Isabella Quin
Mary Boyd (1913 - 1988) & John Easton

which then brings me to my grandparents

Grace Easton (1942 - ) & James McGhee.

I would love to know more about the family tree and would appreciate any information your cousin has.

Thank you very much

Janet

Offline Stanthunder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 January 18 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of John Boyd & Jean Waddel

John Boyd & Jean Waddel

Robert Boyd & Jean McLaren

Robert Boyd & Mary-Anne Kennon

Stanley Boyd & Susan Jacob

John Boyd & Jean Waddel lived at West Forrest & Mid Forrest Farm Cumbernaud
Robert Boyd & Mary-Anne Kennon migrated to Australia
I have a letter from James Boyd (Robert Boyd's cousin) who lived at Fergislie Farm Paisley
Johns brother James Boyd who married Christiana Hay moved from Wester Forrest to Cumbusling

Any other information would be greatly appreciated

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 January 18 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate message http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=528517.msg6401620#msg6401620 - if you wish to respond to the query about John Boyd and Jean Waddell please go to that thread where there is already a lot of information. Please do not add to this thread, which is about a different family.