Author Topic: WHERE IS THIS? - 1861 Conaresk Farm, Dunoon & Kilmun, Argyll (please)  (Read 5894 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: WHERE IS THIS? - 1861 Conaresk Farm, Dunoon & Kilmun, Argyll (please)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 15:41 BST (UK) »
As a by and by, one of my main lines, in Moidart Argyll was MacIsaac. Family morphed into MacDonald through the mid to late 1800s... BMD certs written up as 'MacIsaac or MacDonald', then just became MacDonald. Took me a while to figure out.

May help Annie for you with searches through this period too.

Monica  :)

Hi Monica,

Jane's mother Flora MacIsaac, although born Canna, was married to my 2 x g grandfather's brother Donald Steele 1822 on Uist where they had 7 kids & both died there.

Flora b c1801, her parents were Neil MacIsaac & Catherine MacArthur (although of course they are not my relatives), do they feature in your MacIsaac's  ???

Daughter Jane had moved to Argyll as a single girl (missing from census on Uist) & married there as I discovered from her death cert.

Flora was visiting Jane in 1861 at Glenmasson.
I had the Uist census transcription & Jane's father was down as a widower which I knew to be wrong as I had Flora's death cert. 1866  ::)

So when I had my Anc. "Prescription" I found where she was (Glenmasson) in 1861 & of course daughter Jane & hubby.

I would just love a pic of the place to tie it all in  ;D

There were/are many MacIsaac's on Uist & I have them on another branch of my Steele line but they were Uist & Eriskay born.

I just found it amusing the name being transcribed as McKeesie  ;D & how I fell upon them is a mystery as I was searching for Flora Steele born Canna so it was a good find but I spent hours trawling all the records as I knew she was still alive then  :P

You wonder why the change of name but of course it's unlikely you will ever find out  ???

According to the history of the name Steele, they started out as McLean's from Coll but on escaping, took the name Steele from the name of the Skipper but they records don't go back far enough either so I will never know for sure  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Dod,

Thanks for the links, will be interesting if I can navigate my way  ;D

I find it exciting when ancestors turn up in different places but this one has got me more interested now as my family were staunch catholic, Jane born Uist, hubby Duncan born Argyll (faith unknown) & they married in Church of England, Greenock.

I hadn't even finished that off when it was abandoned all that time ago so that was a shock but also.....Jane has given her mother's maiden name as McKichan (sic).

I know I have the right person as I have both parent's deaths too Donald & Flora.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline trawler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 October 15 17:55 BST (UK) »
You probably mean CORRARSK.  You can locate it on the Ordnance Survey Map for Argyll published c1860 and free to view online on the National Library of Scotland website.  Corrarsk is called Corarsik on later maps (and that is its name today, I believe). After you locate it on the old map, find the road number on a modern map and you may be able to view it on Google streetview.
Trawler

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 October 15 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks trawler for going to all the bother to find this.

I wonder if you could give me a link please as I just can't find it at all.

I'm hopeless with geography....even with a map  ::)

Don't know how I managed to conquer orienteering in my youth.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 October 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
The best I could find was this...........

Corrarsk/Coryesk

Corrarsk   NS131849   Coryesk   Pont 14 Mid Argyll Inverary Loch Awe   settlement

http://maps.nls.uk/pont/view/?id=pont14#zoom=5&lat=1443&lon=3336&layers=BT

Annie

Offline trawler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 October 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Ammack

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74427456

Use this link to get a 6" to the mile map of part of Kilmun & Dunoon in the 1860s. On screen top left you will see a small blue + & -.  Click the + three times.  You are interested in the top right quarter of the map. Left click on the map and holding the left mouse button down move the map sideways and down until the top right corner of the map is on the top right corner of your screen.
In the centre of your screen, you should see Corrarsk.  I led you to understand you could see it on Google street view without checking it out, sadly that's not the case, as street view isn't available there. Its quite a remote spot.  Some of my own ancestors hailed from just down the road, so it was no problem.

Trawler

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 October 15 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     See Reply 7!!
     Click on first link.
          Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline trawler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 October 15 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi ecksdochter

Sorry, I didn't see your earlier posts. 

Trawler