Author Topic: ANCOATS SCHOOL 1930'S  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Tracysmirf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ANCOATS SCHOOL 1930'S
« on: Monday 14 September 15 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. Does anybody have any information/old photographs or websites on St Philips School on Ridgeway Street, Ancoats please? I've searched but cannot find anything except St Philips Church or St Philips school in hulme or Salford. Both my grandparents attended ridgeway street in the 1930s and I'm hoping to find any old photographs that I could show to my gran who is still alive. She has told me it was just down the road from the church and that the girls were at the front of the school and boys at the back. She had teachers called Miss Burton & Mr Battersley. She was also in St Jude's girls brigade up until the manchester bombings so any information or links would be a massive help. Thank you 😊

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ANCOATS SCHOOL 1930'S
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 15 14:37 BST (UK) »
If you get this transferred to the Lancashire board, or put a query on there, you may find someone has a picture or two - people are really helpful on here.
Manchester Central Library, or one of the local paper archives may well be able to point you in the right direction. Have you managed to pin-point it on old maps?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline madeira066

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 15 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracysmirf.
There is a previous post regarding St Phillips Church in Ancoats on Rootschat that was posted 30th November 2004. It appears to have been situated on Bradford Road and close to Ridgeway Street, and that it was pulled down about 1950. Hope this helps.
Regards Dave.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 15 15:52 BST (UK) »
The school and the church are shown on this map http://maps.nls.uk/view/101103791#zoom=5&lat=2226&lon=3127&layers=BT
And the school on this Town Plan of 1891 https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/385937/398920/13/100874, you will have to zoom out.
Just to say that it is Ridgway Street, not Ridgeway Street
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tracysmirf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 September 15 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your replies. I have seen it previously on a map but I couldn't find the same map when I looked back for it so thank you for the links Stan 😀 I did wonder about the spelling as ive seen it both ways but I'll stick with the map spelling now. I'll have a look at the previous post too and also try the Lancashire board and newspaper archives. Thanks again, I really appreciate it 😀