Author Topic: Helen Dun/John Edmond  (Read 1182 times)

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
Helen Dun/John Edmond
« on: Monday 14 September 15 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I'm back after a year of messing about and have hit another 2 road blocks.
Road Block #1 My 2g grandfather is John Edmond b.1790, d.1870, he married Helen Dun in 1819, she died in 1838 and had her first child, Margaret in 1820. Both LDS and SP appear to have her birth date as 1806 and this is obviously not possible - or is it?
Road Block #2 John Edmond's father (above) according to IGI was William Edmond b, 1752 - how do I prove this as in documentary evidence?
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Dun/John Edmond
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
My 2g grandfather is John Edmond b.1790, d.1870,

John Edmond's father (above) according to IGI was William Edmond b, 1752 - how do I prove this as in documentary evidence?

Download a copy of the 1870 death cert from Scotlands People and it should give you both his parents names and his mothers maiden name

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW. Got that but it was more the date I was hoping to prove correct - maybe a tad over confident, what do you think?
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 15 13:44 BST (UK) »
Helen Dun was born/baptised in 1805 and would have been 14 when she married.   This often happened in Scotland so wouldn't be too concerned about that.

John was born 1790 son of William and Agnes (Buchanan) who married 18/1/1777.   Following the Scottish naming pattern I would say that William Edmond was the one bp.8/8/1744 Killearn, son of James Edmond and Margaret Mitchell.   Eldest son named James (Scottish naming pattern first son named after paternal grandfather) and as their first daughter was named Janet (in 1777) then Agnes' mother is likely to have been a Janet (Scottish naming pattern first daughter after maternal grandmother).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 00:55 BST (UK) »
I had no idea that marriage was permissible at such an early age. Thank you Annette, I will now start again with a renewed enthusiasm using all your information as a base.