Author Topic: Building History  (Read 4988 times)

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
Building History
« on: Monday 14 September 15 02:25 BST (UK) »
Is there a source for  building plans or approvals. I am trying to determine when a house in Croftamie was built. I am almost sure it was before the 1841 census. It has been known as Dalhougal for many years but I have seen it written as Dalhogle.
Where should I go to trace its history?
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Building History
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 15 07:45 BST (UK) »
Early maps may be useful and also the local aithority archives section. Here's a few links:

http://www.valeofleven.org.uk/eastlochlomond.html

https://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/libraries/archives-family-history/archives-collections/

http://www.drymen-history.org.uk/Resources/archive2.pdf

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/STI/Drymen

There are links in Genuki to the National Library of Scotland historical online maps from which you may be able to identify the building.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Imber, I will give the Dumbarton ones a go first as Croftamie was in Dunbartonshire until a few years ago.
I will post any success I have, hanks again.
Ron
Buchanan, Aitken, Fleming, Guthrie, Muirhead, Edmond. Dumbartonshire, Stirlingshire, Ayrshire

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 15 12:31 BST (UK) »
No luck I'm afraid. I found the building on a map of 1860 but no name attached ???

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 September 15 13:07 BST (UK) »
Finding the history of a house is not easy as most 19th C and earlier are not recorded.  You might find it easier to date it based on occupancy through Birth/Marriage. 

Croftamie (sp) doesn't appear on any map until the early 1800's beginning with this one http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400143  Croftamy Farm and Toll seem to appear first and I suspect it is part of Fennich

There is an actual plan for Croftamie with the NRS, established in 1814 by Col. John Hamilton who held these lands and Spittal so you can assume it was built after this unless it was originally a Toll house or farm cottage.

Where about is this house?

Don Muirhead

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 September 15 17:40 BST (UK) »
There are many knowledgeable people here on RC with a wide range of expertise. Would registers of sasines helps with this search? www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=26232.0

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 01:13 BST (UK) »
Don thank you. Where is this house? If you know the village it is opposite The Red House (now a commercial operation) and The Wayfarers pub.
On the map you referred me to (John Thomson's Atlas of Scotland 1832) there is something on the location. If you are travelling north into Craftamy immediately after you cross Catterburn there is a road off to the left and then three houses. I am assuming the first to be the Toll House and the second to be Craftamy Farm. It looks to me that the third one is on the site of the house I am after.
It is difficult for me as a relative novice to track it through BMD as even on  all census returns available on line every house is defined simply as Croftamie.
You may be interested to know that my great grandmother who I believe lived in the house was a Muirhead (Helen Muirhead 1836 -1927).

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 13:37 BST (UK) »
I have relatives above Carbeth and have been through Croftamie many times but don't recall the pub so I checked the map and assume you are referring to the blue house with the large addition.

If Robert Muirhead was Helen's father or grandfather, you might want to check the price and acquire a copy from the NRAS nras@nrsscotland.gov.uk

If it is like the others I have, it will show existing and proposed new builds along with drainage.  Some have names on buildings some don't.

Repository code   234
Repository   National Records of Scotland
Reference   RHP41000
Title   Plan of lands at Croftamie set in tack by Col. John Hamilton to Robert Muirheid, with table of contents.
Dates   1814
Access status   Open
Location   On site (Sighthill)
Description   Surveyor: Robert McGowne

I don't have the birth of your GGrandmother in fact there are no baptisms of a Helen in Dunbartonshire during this period but I would be interested in who her parents were.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline bfr89x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Inquisitive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Don, Found it again. I am not sure if you received an earlier reply re the house. Let me know and I will resend.
I have several BMD certs on Helen Muirhead and ancestors and am happy to send them to you. Do we do this via this site or private emails. Let me know and I will email them through.
Ron