Author Topic: James WYATT - disappears  (Read 1249 times)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James WYATT - disappears
« on: Monday 14 September 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
I wonder if any of you could manage to help me trace my  3*great rgandmother's second husband who just seems to vanish

This is what I know
James Wyatt, born 10 October 1842 in West Harptree to John and Elizabeth Wyatt
baptised  6 Nov 1842
1851 census - living in West Harptree with his parents and siblings
1861 census - living in West Harptree with his parents and sister (listed as Lead Miner)
1871 census - living in West Harptree, lodging with the widowed Martha Weston (nee Lasbury - my relative) and her children (listed as labourer - 2 houses down on the schedule are his parents)
21 May 1871 he marries Martha Weston (daughter of Joseph Lasbury) at St James in Bristol

so far all well and good
I can't find him on the 1881 census - Martha Wyatt is living with some of her children in East Harptree and is listed as married
in 1891 and 1901 Martha is living with her daughter and son in law in East Harptree and is listed as widowed

Any ideas where I could find James

NB there were several James Wyatts of a similar age from West Harptree

There is one on the 1881 census married to a Bridget - however this is another James Wyatt - son of George and Hannah

There is also a James Wyatt (born 1852/53 in West Harptree) who married Dinah Addicot in the same quarter as my James married Martha - they end up in Wales

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James WYATT - disappears
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 08:11 GMT (UK) »
It looks as if he might have fallen foul of 'the law', but I've not found a record of imprisonment:

Western Gazette - Friday 24 May 1872 TEMPLE CLOUD. Petty Sessions.— Jas. WYATT, of West Harptree, [inter alia]  fined £5 for keeping dogs without a license. The last four cases were recommended to be reduced to £1 each.
— James WYATT, a carrier, of West Harptree, was sent to prison for 14 days, and afterwards to find sureties to keep the peace for six months, himself in £20 and two others in £10 each, or in default to be further imprisoned for six months, for assaulting his wife, Martha WYATT.

Western Gazette - Friday 06 June 1873 TEMPLE CLOUD Petty Sessions
Bevis COLES and Mark LOVELL, of East Harptree, and James WYATT, of West Harptree, were convicted of killing a hare on land at Chewton Mendip, on the 28th ult., and fined - Coles 30s, Lovell 14s 6d, and  Wyatt 20s, and costs.

Whilst it's not currently possible to link all the petty crimes, it's worthy of note that in 1867 a  James Wyatt, of West Harptree, was fined 15s and costs for obstructing the police in the execution of their duty, at West Harptree, on the 20th July.

Association with lead mining did not augur well for a man's mental health or longevity, so your man might have suffered an early demise in an institution or out of area if following the carrier occupation.  A death was required to be recorded in the district where it occurred. 
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, and poor Martha (I hope she refused to take him back and thats why they aren't together on the 1881 census, but somehow I doubt it)

Never knew killing a hare was a criminal offence

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Never knew killing a hare was a criminal offence

It was poaching from a landowner:  hence the dogs! ;)
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk