Author Topic: Herbert Aldrich of England  (Read 3494 times)

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
Herbert Aldrich of England
« on: Monday 14 September 15 21:34 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice on what I should do next as I try to close the loop on my great grand aunt Elizabeth (Lily) Lyons. I would love to find out when and where she died, and if possible try to locate her marriage to a Herbert Aldrich of England. I have posted what I have done, and know to date, at the following link:

https://sites.google.com/site/lyonsdrummully/big-irish-family/elizabeth-lyons

Mrs. Herbert Aldrich (Lily) of England, 1955

Elizabeth is mentioned in her brother George's (Canadian) obituary from 1955... "LYONS, George Hamilton - Suddenly, Thursday morning, Feb. 17, 1955, at Toronto, George Hamilton Lyons (member Zeta Lodge, No. 410, A.P. & A.M.) of 1942 Bloor St. W., beloved husband of Barbara Crilly; dear father of Frances; brother of William of Winnipeg, Joseph of Ireland, Jack of New York, Mrs. Catherine Madison and Dr. Winnifred Lyons of South Africa and Mrs. Herbert Aldrich (Lily) of England. Resting at the Turner and Porter Chapel, 436 Roncesvalles, at Howard Park Ave. Service in the chapel 10 o'clock Saturday morning. Internment Park Lawn Cemetery."
Source: Obituary - Lyons, George Hamilton - The Globe and Mail (Toronto, Ontario) - 19 Feb 1955, p 27, col 2

In February 1955, Lily would have been 63 years old.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Aldrich of England
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD shows this possible death:

June qtr 1965
Haringey district     vol 5b, page 768

Aldrich, Elizabeth     age 72
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 03:28 BST (UK) »

June qtr 1965

This does look like a good possibility. Thank you KGarrad

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I have looked at the electoral roll in 1965 for an Elizabeth Aldrich in Haringey, it would appear from a cursory look, that Elizabeth had been in the Moreton Road area in Tottenham, Haringey since at least 1922, in fact in 1922 also in the household were an Edmund & William James Aldrich?

EDIT just checked the possible birth of William James Aldrich the above Edmund/Elizabeth/William is NOT the death registration shown above, will have another look for you in Haringey Electoral Roll!
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 05:09 BST (UK) »

June qtr 1965

This does look like a good possibility. I guess my next action is to order a death certificate (if possible) to see if I can positively identify this as my great aunt. Thank you KGarrad

Unfortunately, Death Certificates in England & Wales don't contain a lot of information?!
The only "confirmation" you are likely to get is the informant - and that could be anybody. ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi I have looked at the electoral roll in 1965 for an Elizabeth Aldrich in Haringey, it would appear from a cursory look, that Elizabeth had been in the Moreton Road area in Tottenham, Haringey since at least 1922, in fact in 1922 also in the household were an Edmund & William James Aldrich?

EDIT just checked the possible birth of William James Aldrich the above Edmund/Elizabeth/William is NOT the death registration shown above, will have another look for you in Haringey Electoral Roll!

Thank you for your efforts. I am working under the assumption that any marriage took place no earlier than 1932, when Elizabeth was 39 and returning from South Africa to Spofforth in Yorkshire. She does say she intends to live in England in 1932. Her brother Thomas Edward Lyons lived in Green Leas, Spofforth, so she was possibly visiting him. Thomas' surviving family have no recollection of a sister at all, which might suggest she did not stay in Yorkshire. I have nothing on Elizabeth between this in 1932 and 1955 when she suddenly appears as Mrs Herbert Aldrich.

Lily did have a sister in Scotland ("Kitty" Wilson nee Isabel Florence Eveline Lyons) who passed in 1942. I did a check for a marriage for Herbert Aldrich on ScotlandsPeople but it came up blank.

Another sister Mary Frances Wilson lived in Birmingham until her death in 1950.

Another sister Winifred Josephine Lyons moved to South Africa in 1936 - not sure where she lived but she departed from Bournemouth.

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 16:13 BST (UK) »

June qtr 1965

This does look like a good possibility. I guess my next action is to order a death certificate (if possible) to see if I can positively identify this as my great aunt. Thank you KGarrad

Unfortunately, Death Certificates in England & Wales don't contain a lot of information?!
The only "confirmation" you are likely to get is the informant - and that could be anybody. ::)

Yes you are right.

Marriage
I am struggling to find a marriage anywhere, I've looked in England, Scotland and Ireland and nothing really looks like a real possibility. A general question, let's say for arguments sake that her marriage to Mr. Aldrich was her 2nd marriage, would she then be recorded on freebmd with her first married name or her made name of Lyons?

The only marriages between 1932-1955 for a Herbert Aldrich are as follows:

Marriages Sep 1937   (>99%) Aldrich    Herbert W    Warne      Epping        4a   1592
Marriages Jun 1941   (>99%) Aldrich    Herbert H S    Harold      Hammersmith    1a   469

Marriages Sep 1937   (>99%) WARNE    Tryphena    Aldrich    Epping      4a   1592
Marriages Jun 1941   (>99%) Harold    Edith      Aldrich    Hammersmith    1a   469

June qtr 1965 - Haringey district - vol 5b, page 768 - Aldrich, Elizabeth - age 72
For this record (above) the following are two possible matches for the same person (which would eliminate my Elizabeth.
Births Mar 1890   (>99%) Aldrich    Elizabeth        Holborn    1b   715
Births Sep 1893   (>99%) Aldrich    Elizabeth Elvina        Shoreditch    1c   80

Death Records for Herbert Aldrich (all time)
Assuming her husband Herbert Aldrich died in England I have listed all records on freebmd below and am starting to eliminate them one-by-one. I am down to six possibilities.
                         Surname     First name(s)   Age    District     Vol   Page  Born+/-1 Match?
Deaths Mar 1875   (>99%) ALDRICH     Herbert John    0      Lambeth      1d    291   1875     No (deceased)
Deaths Sep 1889   (>99%) Aldrich     Herbert         0      Mile End     1c    291   1889     No (deceased)
Deaths Dec 1894   (>99%) Aldrich     Herbert         15     Smallburgh   4b    32    1879     No (deceased)
Deaths Mar 1912   (>99%) Aldrich     Herbert P       8      London C     1c    36    1904     No (deceased)
Deaths Mar 1914   (>99%) Aldrich     Herbert         49     Erpingham    4b    105   1865     No (deceased)
Deaths Dec 1919   (>99%) Aldrich     Herbert         64     Wangford     4a    1120  1855     No (deceased)
Deaths Mar 1931   (>99%) Aldrich     Herbert         47     W.Ham        4a    229   1884     No (deceased)
Deaths Sep 1937   (>99%) Aldrich     Herbert E       62     Ruthin       11b   313   1875     Possible
Deaths Mar 1940   (>99%) Aldrich     Herbert J       27     Blyth        4a    3289  1913     Unlikely (21 years Elizabeth's junior)
Deaths Mar 1951   (>99%) ALDRICH     Herbert         66     Bridge       5b    81    1885     Possible
Deaths Sep 1956   (>99%) ALDRICH     Herbert G       73     Winchester   6b    602   1883     Possible
Deaths Dec 1958   (>99%) ALDRICH     Herbert W       87     Essex S.W.   5a    152   1871     Possible
Deaths Jun 1959   (>99%) ALDRICH     Herbert H       70     Uxbridge     5f    158   1889     Possible
Deaths Jun 1961   (>99%) ALDRICH     Herbert H       85     Edmonton     5e    252   1876     Possible
Deaths Dec 1963   (>99%) ALDRICH     HERBERT H       23     KING'S L.    4B    489   1940     No (58 years Elizabeth's junior)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
A general question, let's say for arguments sake that her marriage to Mr. Aldrich was her 2nd marriage, would she then be recorded on freebmd with her first married name or her made name of Lyons?

Usually both surnames would be on the Register Indexes - she would be Elizabeth <Smith or whatever> formerly known as Lyons.

For example:

CARVER    MARION            MCGHIE    BIRKENHEAD   
DUFF            MARION            MCGHIE    BIRKENHEAD   
MCGHIE    ROBERT M    CARVER    BIRKENHEAD   
MCGHIE    ROBERT M    DUFF    BIRKENHEAD   

But, on the other hand, my gran didn't mention her maiden name for her 2nd marriage! ::)

And, just for completeness, there is no Aldrich marriage in the Isle of Man Indexes! ;D

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
A general question, let's say for arguments sake that her marriage to Mr. Aldrich was her 2nd marriage, would she then be recorded on freebmd with her first married name or her made name of Lyons?

Usually both surnames would be on the Register Indexes - she would be Elizabeth <Smith or whatever> formerly known as Lyons.

Does that also apply if she divorced  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk