Author Topic: Herbert Aldrich of England  (Read 3488 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Aldrich of England
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
A general question, let's say for arguments sake that her marriage to Mr. Aldrich was her 2nd marriage, would she then be recorded on freebmd with her first married name or her made name of Lyons?

Usually both surnames would be on the Register Indexes - she would be Elizabeth <Smith or whatever> formerly known as Lyons.

Does that also apply if she divorced  :-\

Yes, but the details are informant driven! So whatever they told the clergyman or registrar ;D

See my edit to my last post for examples.
Example quoted is a divorcee; my gran was a widow.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 16:49 BST (UK) »
A general question, let's say for arguments sake that her marriage to Mr. Aldrich was her 2nd marriage, would she then be recorded on freebmd with her first married name or her made name of Lyons?

Usually both surnames would be on the Register Indexes - she would be Elizabeth <Smith or whatever> formerly known as Lyons.

For example:

CARVER    MARION            MCGHIE    BIRKENHEAD   
DUFF            MARION            MCGHIE    BIRKENHEAD   
MCGHIE    ROBERT M    CARVER    BIRKENHEAD   
MCGHIE    ROBERT M    DUFF    BIRKENHEAD   

But, on the other hand, my gran didn't mention her maiden name for her 2nd marriage! ::)

And, just for completeness, there is no Aldrich marriage in the Isle of Man Indexes! ;D

Thanks! I've learned something new :)

I can't rule out the possibility of Elizabeth visiting South Africa again after 1932 (and possibly marrying there?) She was one of nine sisters, five of whom at one time or another lived in South Africa. Records from there are sparse but I did find a few for other sisters. Eldest sister Mary Frances Wilson (nee Lyons) who died in Birmingham in 1950 actually had her ashes scattered in South Africa. The Canadian obituary for brother George also refers to another of my brick walls, sister Winifred Josephine Lyons who is a doctor in 1955, in or near (I think) Johannesburg.

They're keeping me busy this lot!  ;D

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 16:51 BST (UK) »
I have just checked some late C20 marriages where they involve divorced family members and they only show previous married surname on index and not maiden name of bride
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Aldrich of England [SOLVED]
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 September 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
[SOLVED]

Hello all. I made a breakthrough with this brick wall recently and wish to let you all know of it. Below are the Find-A-Grave profiles I created for...

Walter Herbert Arlidge
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=182845704

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Lyons Arlidge
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=182844642

Just wanted to update this for anyone researching these names in future.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 September 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)